Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish girl feels homesick

Options
  • 03-06-2005 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I feel awfully homesick and lonely in this (for me new) Irish world.
    Does anybody know of any Polish bars or discotheques where young (Polish) people go in Dublin?
    They doesn't necessarily have to be Polish bars or discos.
    I'd also be happy about any Eastern European club, where my people get together, no matter if Polish, Russian, Slovakian, Croatian or the like.

(Obviously, if any Irish person here is interested, she or he can join me and get to know Eastern European culture and people by visiting those clubs (if they exist in Dublin).)

Thank you.

PS: I already heard there are 3 Russian discos in Dublin. Anybody knows the adresses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you working? Have you any coworkers that you're friendly enough with to go out on the weekend. Irish people are happy enough for people to tag along when they're heading out, even if they don't know them that well.

I don't know of any specifically Eastern European clubs in Dublin, but then I don't know a lot of pubs in Dublin, I tend to keep to my regular haunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

And what about Polish masses?
    Are there any churches in Dublin that hold masses in Polish language?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There's a Russian disco, or was at least a couple of years ago, on the first floor on the corner of O'Connell St and Parnell Street. Above the Centra mthinks. It may only be on one specific night however.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Ania, I don't think you will have difficulty meeting polish people in dublin! :p

For example, there's a pub called 'the exchequer bar' on exchequer street (city centre, dublin 2, ph:679 7302, take a look at www.dublinks.com if you need a map) - and one night each week (I think it's thursdays) they have a 'polish night'.

I've heard that other venues in dublin do something similar, although I dont know the details.

Hope that at least gets the ball rolling for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

these guys mention a few events for polish in dublin
    http://www.ips-dublin.info/portal/index.php
    dunno what theyre like but might be good, i meet a lot of young polish folks around these days and they all seem to be decent fun lovin' types :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Don't know about Dublin but I do know there is a Polish bar in Limerick. Run by a Polish person and they inport Polish beers as well. May not help you in Dublin but may be worth a trip down for a weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

According to this link there is a Polish Mass at St Michans every week.

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~dublinop/Bulletins/Vol%202%20No%2014%20-%2020%20Feb%202005.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh Sarsfield beat me too it!!
    But I'm fortunate to know a few Polish people, I can have a word with them and see where they hang out if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

im sure anna is delighted all lyou guys were able to help.
    i was in china a few years ago it was terrible to not know anyone for long periods of time.
    all the best with your quest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Firstly welcome to Ireland.... long way from home, but it's a nice place most of the time.

I was in the Pro-Cathedral off O'Connell Street yesterday and was talking to a Polish priest ...but I think he was just visiting...haven't heard of any Polish masses. I deal with a few Eastern Europeans through work... I'll let you know if they know of any Polish bars/clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Irish men like eastern European women too if that makes you feel better.. Well I do anyway :/

Irish men like eastern European women too if that makes you feel better.. Well I do anyway :/
    I have already realized that. :D
    I deal with a few Eastern Europeans through work... I'll let you know if they know of any Polish bars/clubs.
    But I hope they know clubs where kids at my age go... ;)

Thank you all for some useful information.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ania
    quite a few go to the Pravda near the h'apenny bridge (my russian friend and his mates go there a lot)

There's a Russian disco, or was at least a couple of years ago, on the first floor on the corner of O'Connell St and Parnell Street.

my friend knows the owner of this club, and from what he tells me of the place, I would really advise not going there, it's a lap dancing type club and is supposed to be pretty dodgey - I couldn't get him to bring me (research purposes you understand ;) )
    anyways, he seemed to think I would not be safe there

• Registered Users Posts: 78,314 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A lot of the staff in Whelans and The Village in Wexford Street are Polish and there is the occassional Polish event (DJ, band, ...).

http://www.polishembassy.ie/

Try The Mezz / The Hub - Monday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ania wrote:
    I have already realized that. :D

It's the accent youj see ;)

Question.

Are you missing Poland or the boyfriend you left behind or is it just "I'm in a foreign city and don't know anyone"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

:rolleyes: subtle way to see if she has a boyfriend?

passive wrote:
    :rolleyes: subtle way to see if she has a boyfriend?
    No, I know she has a boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

sorry sir... :D

Officially I do still have a boyfriend, but practically...? :rolleyes:

I'd actually just be interested how other Polish or Eastern Europeans are managing their lives here.
    I already know quite a bunch of really nice Irish girls and boys, but obviously I feel safest and most comfortable in a company of my own people, at least until I know this island and it's people better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I don’t know any my-self but I be leave you could try the polish embassy. I am sure they would know of one or two club's/pubs in Dublin that would at least be polish friendly. Failing that, There are boards beers all the time. They are great ways to meet people. Sadly I don’ know if there are polish people that go to them (well none that I have met or remember meeting anyway) But you do get a mixture of peoples going to them. If you look on the event board. Its under the system menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Theres a polish night on in The Hub on Eustace street on Mondays. They sell polish beer and play polish folk and dance music. work checking out
    www.thehub.ie

Monday 23rd Piwnica- Polish Night

www.piwnica-pl.org

8.00 to 12.00

9.00 Open mike - talent contest-

cash prizes on the night- heats for a big prize

10.00 Polish Band and disco till midnight.

€5 - free to musicians and artists who perform

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

SAXA wrote:
    Don't know about Dublin but I do know there is a Polish bar in Limerick. Run by a Polish person and they inport Polish beers as well. May not help you in Dublin but may be worth a trip down for a weekend

Indeed there is, I was there on saturday nite-its on Henry street near the Corner Flag pub and a good spot it is too (bit too many polish MEN there for my liking -but that might suit Ania ;) ) ...they sell a nice polish beer thats 7% happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Aren't there 60,000 Polish immigrants in Ireland now? They must be here
    somewhere - where could that many poles be hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

hey try electric city in traffic on middle abbey street, its on thursdays after 11pm. i used to go to this night when it was in the metroploitan club and there were loads of eastern europeans. the music is techno/electro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not sure if this has been mentioned- but the Irish Polish Society have a bulletin board on:

http://www.ips-dublin.info/portal/index.php

and

Taize Prayer group for young people in Polish every week:

Cotygodniowa modlitwa przy krzyżu ze śpiewami z Taizé - środa, godz. 20.00-20.45 w kaplicy Św. Katarzyny, Upper Dorset Street, Dublin 1

POSK (The Polish Cultural and Social Club) have an Irish branch- details at:

Polish Social and Cultural Association
    Adres: 20 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin 2
    Tel.: +353-1- 676 2515

http://www.polonia.org/poskirlandia.htm

And loads of contact details of other organisations on:

http://www.polonia.org/irlandia.htm

Note: There is a Polish barbeque on 02.07.05- full details and tickets on:
    http://www.ips-dublin.info/portal/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=102

If you contact the likes of POSK they will be most likely to be able to point you in the direction of clubs/societies/masses/outings/social activities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're on the south side, Nemos bar in Dun Laoghaire always has a lot of Polish people drinking there. My flatmate used to work as a barman there and made friends with quite a few of them. :)

Uthur wrote:
    Aren't there 60,000 Polish immigrants in Ireland now? They must be here
    somewhere - where could that many poles be hiding?
    Firstly, don't confuse immigrants with guest workers.

And believe or not: I haven't met any Pole yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Wow, a Pole who wants to hang out with Russians. That's a new one on me. The only Poles I've ever met have harboured not-so-secret desires to drop a nuclear warhead on Moscow. Something to do with someone called "Uncle Joe"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Poles Apart

25,000 Poles in December 2004.

This thread reminds me of a night spent drinking in one of those tiny front room pubs in Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim. There was a nice little sing song going on when suddenly this chap in the corner launches into a hearty rendition of some Polish song. Gave a performance full of gusto it has to be said, great craic. This was only out done by the wizened old barman with the huge hands, who looked like he had never left Leitrim, let alone Ireland, who promptly went over to the Polish guy and exchanged a few words in Polish with the guy. It was totally bizarre. But it turned out the barman had worked with Poles on building sites in New York in the 1950's and had learnt a few words then.

Advertisement