Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X04 - "Walkabout" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "WALKABOUT" -

Episode Title: "Walkabout"
    Airdate: June 6th 2005

Synopsis (from TVToMe):
    Survivors are jolted awake in the middle of the night when wild island beasts invade the beach encampment. Kate and Michael join the mysterious Locke on a hunt for food -- and a shocking secret about Locke is revealed. Meanwhile, some survivors are horrified by Jack's plan for the dead bodies still scattered among the wreckage, and Jack sees someone in the jungle who might not have been on the plane.

Next New Episode: 1X05 - White Rabbit - 13th June 2005

What did you think of "Walkabout"? 41 votes

Excellent!
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    43% 18 votes
    Average
    34% 14 votes
    Poor
    14% 6 votes
    Terrible!
    7% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Your getting ahead of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Your getting ahead of yourself.
    Yeah.. thought i'd post it early in case i forgot at the weekend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Hugo Reyes

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. thought i'd post it early in case i forgot at the weekend! :D

YO dude!

Bumping this up for a discussion on Walkabout!

What did Irish viewers think of the big revelation?

Seems we have (or had) a muppet in our midst! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was a big revelation? Locke and the chair - was that it? Or the mystery guy in the jungle? Could have predicted something like that from the start.

No, sorry, I'm giving up on it altogether. This series just isn't doing it for me at all. Hope everyone else enjoys the rest of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Boring tbh, I've watched the first 4 but I'm giving up on it now too.. There are much better shows on at the moment and I have given it a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Was no where near as pants splittingly exciting as everyone had been hyping it up to be.

I'll stick with it though, it's worth watching for Evangeline Lilly alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was this the episode that a lot of you guys (US viewers) said was fantastic and got you hooked on the show? :confused:

It was ok i suppose. I'd give it a 7. The Locke story was nicely done. Not much else to be honest.

Suprised at the negative reaction to the episode with the fantastic revelation...

.. but we probably did built it up too much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Was i the only who guessed Locke's problem from the moment he moved his toes?

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Suprised at the negative reaction to the episode with the fantastic revelation...

.. but we probably did built it up too much! :D

To be fair basquille, a number of friends in the States had also told me that I really needed to wait until episode 4 to get truly hooked. I'd have to agree with Repli, I found the episode boring, although marginally better than last week's. It certainly wasn't what I'd describe as a "fantastic revelation". However, I know there are some strange people out there who don't like 24, so I guess it's different strokes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

To be honest guys, for me, Lost never got better than Walkabout, got close with the last episode. Thats not a bad thing of course, Walkabout is an excellent episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

zaph wrote:
    There was a big revelation? Locke and the chair - was that it? Or the mystery guy in the jungle? Could have predicted something like that from the start.

No, sorry, I'm giving up on it altogether. This series just isn't doing it for me at all. Hope everyone else enjoys the rest of the series.

Sure you could have...what a laod of bull. You could have predicted the man who you dont even know. And Id say only a few saw the Locke thing coming. We hyped it up because it was really well done,well written and acted,this isnt 24,non-stop action that is just a joke.

Also 4 eps isnt a good try...it takes more than that it get into a show like this. I gave up on Rescue Me because I didnt give it enough time,and then when I got back into I realised I had missed half of a great show.

Ill tell you what...watch until episode 10 and 11,and then tell me you have given it a good shot. Because that is when things really start to get interesting!

zaph wrote:
    To be fair basquille, a number of friends in the States had also told me that I really needed to wait until episode 4 to get truly hooked. I'd have to agree with Repli, I found the episode boring, although marginally better than last week's. It certainly wasn't what I'd describe as a "fantastic revelation". However, I know there are some strange people out there who don't like 24, so I guess it's different strokes...

There is a difference between liking 24,and watching it jump the shark a long time ago...I enjoy it,but its in no way better written or acted than Lost. Look at this season! This show is actually supposed top border on realism but the stuff that happened on Day 4 was a joke. Kidnapping Sec of Defense,Melting Down Power Plants,shooting down Air Force One,stealing a nuke...Marwan escaping 50 damn times!

I guess you just have to have patience with a show like Lost and not expect an actions scene every 5 minutes.

tvnutz wrote:
    Sure you could have...what a laod of bull. You could have predicted the man who you dont even know. And Id say only a few saw the Locke thing coming.

Also 4 eps isnt a good try......watch until episode 10 and 11,and then tell me you have given it a good shot. Because that is when things really start to get interesting!

I never said I knew him, and I don't have to know him to guess that there would be some mysterious stranger appearing and disappearing at some stage in the series. I've seen that in hundreds of "mystery" films and tv shows on the past, why would this one ignore tradition? I never claimed to know anything about Locke, but I wasn't overwhelmed by the "revelation" either.

As for the number of episodes, people have already said "wait until episode 4, it gets really good then". Now it's episodes 10 and 11. Does that mean everything until then isn't that great?

I'm not slagging off the show, some people seem to be really into it, I just said that I don't get it myself. As for 24, yeah, I should have put the condition on it that I didn't mean the current series. It's like they're sending themselves up in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Was i the only who guessed Locke's problem from the moment he moved his toes?

No, i got it as soon as he wiggled his toes as well.

I am interested in
    what the frack happened with Locke int he Jungle with the monster

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I honestly think that the ads are breaking the continuity. They're in the wrong place. Those of use who watched the episodes without any ads in them enjoyed them alot more than those who were interrupted every 15 minutes with "Jack's still stuck on the island, should we get him a doggy bag?".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

actually, I've noticed the breaks for the adverts in the "advert free versions" are quite jarring. It's as if they were badly edited and you've missed something...I'm only up to ep 5 and these breaks are driving me nuts.

I liked the phone call bit Locke gets.....leaves you thinking "wow maybe he is a commando or something"....all assumptions are imeadiatly dashed tho, when his boss "talks to him" :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well I for one want to know two things

how come locke can walk now!?
    and how come he lied about seeing the monster, or more to the point, how come he wasn't killed by it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Beruthiel wrote:

I guess the plane passed through a time portal on the way down and they travelled back to a time when he could walk, well if I was writing the show anyway.
    It will probably be something stupid though, a "miracle" or what have you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Beruthiel wrote:

and how come he lied about seeing the monster, or more to the point, how come he wasn't killed by it!?

At least someone is getting the show. This is a thinking man's (woman's) show. It's not all about action - it's about trying to piece the puzzles together to find out what is going on. Ep 4 was hyped because it was the first episode that showed us that not everything is as it seems. Secrets are kept and the unknown is everywhere. It is the quest for answers that makes the viewer want more.

If you just want action or self contained stories in every episode then this is not for you

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dossininwork

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beruthiel

At least someone is getting the show. This is a thinking man's (woman's) show. It's not all about action - it's about trying to piece the puzzles together to find out what is going on. Ep 4 was hyped because it was the first episode that showed us that not everything is as it seems. Secrets are kept and the unknown is everywhere. It is the quest for answers that makes the viewer want more.

If you just want action or self contained stories in every episode then this is not for you

Hyzepher

Any answers for the question tho'? Why didnt it kill Locke and how was he able to walk again?

After sleeping on it over night, ep4 seems more interesting now than it did when I watched.

After having a strange dream last night where the island started talking to the survivors before revealing the island's proximity to a mainland city and ghost ships, this morning I suddenly started noticing some of the "subtleties" people have been talking about.

Like when the lonely black woman says to Jack
    that the people in the tail section might think the mid section survivors are dead too
    - could that lead to something later?

Or what was in the
    wallet
    that Sawyer gave to Claire.

And then the more obvious stuff with Locke, his legs and the monster, and the
    "suit guy"
    Jack sees on the edge of the jungle.

It also gives me hope for Day 5 of 24 seeing how Lost exec producer David Fury is going to be a exec producer on 24 next year, along with Enterprise improver and Odyssey 5 creator Manny Coto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Any answers for the question tho'? Why didnt it kill Locke and how was he able to walk again?

Perhaps his paralysis was psycological.

The way he was able to stand indicates that he once did have use of his legs and perhaps itsa not all that long since he was using them. Afterall if someone was in the chair for extended periods of time the leg muscles would deteriorate.*

*AFAIK

I reckon though that whoever/whatever has them on the island warned him that if he revieled anything to the others then they would take away his ability to walk again. So for now he's keeping stum about the thing he saw on the island. Maybe its not a monster at all. Maybe its something that the 'keepers' use to keep the cast confined to one area of the island. Stop the exploring the island and finding the magic hidden door or whatever.

When he was talking to the tour operator in Australia, he said he'd been like that for 4 years. So yes, he had walked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's the first thing I thought too. After 4 years in a chair, the muscles would have atrophied, no matter how many exercises you did. I can only presume that the crash jarred some nerve back into action.

But why oh why is he keeping quiet about what he saw, because we are left in no doubt that he saw something. And I reckon that he didn't kill the boar that he brought back to camp. Did you see the face he pulled when the black guy (sorry useless with names) congratulated him at the fire. And what's with the semi-mechanical noises that we hear?

I also agree with those comments about the wallet and the tail section. It seems like this program is full of pieces that you have to collect.

The one question that came to mind a while ago concerns the French distress signal being broadcast. If that is still transmitting after 16 years, then it must be connected to one hell of a power supply, so go find it!

The thing about Lost is that its a slow burner. You have to stick with it long term to get the rewards. If they revealed huge chunks of the islands secrets every week, they'd rapidly run out of story. It is a really rewarding show, with (admittedly) more questions than answers, but thats whats so cool about it. The fact that the Lost forum is so full of threads about speculation and episode discussion shows that people are getting sucked in.

I also like the way they make think things like "Why was Charlie in the toilet of the front section?" or "Why don't they cope on to the fact that there's a big power source on island for the 16 year broadcast?" only to answer those questions in the next episode.

This programme seems to be better after you've watched than when you're watching it at the time.

zaph wrote:
    I never said I knew him, and I don't have to know him to guess that there would be some mysterious stranger appearing and disappearing at some stage in the series. I've seen that in hundreds of "mystery" films and tv shows on the past, why would this one ignore tradition? I never claimed to know anything about Locke, but I wasn't overwhelmed by the "revelation" either.

As for the number of episodes, people have already said "wait until episode 4, it gets really good then". Now it's episodes 10 and 11. Does that mean everything until then isn't that great?

I'm not slagging off the show, some people seem to be really into it, I just said that I don't get it myself. As for 24, yeah, I should have put the condition on it that I didn't mean the current series. It's like they're sending themselves up in it!

Posted my TmB on the next page: The thing about Lost is that its a slow burner. You have to stick with it long term to get the rewards. If they revealed huge chunks of the islands secrets every week, they'd rapidly run out of story. It is a really rewarding show, with (admittedly) more questions than answers, but thats whats so cool about it. The fact that the Lost forum is so full of threads about speculation and episode discussion shows that people are getting sucked in.

He said it better than I could,and also if you are the kind of guy that likes 24,eps 10 and 11 are more like it action wise.

• Advertisement

Another thing.... the way the show is portrayed (showing flashbacks of characters in their pre-island life) means that you get to learn alot about them. Last nights episode with Locke is a prime example. It gets to a stage that you really start to care about what happens to them.

For me, by the time it got to midseason and one of the most popular characters was in serious jeopardy (I don't think I'm revealing too much here), I was choked up. Not many shows can suck you in so much that you SERIOUSLY care about what happens to the people in it.

Its a character show first, and an action show second. The characters are what makes this show great.

Advertisement