Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best college in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well you can get a Train from lansdown to drumcondra ( altho its not that regular) and then get a bus from outside the station

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Lansdowne, Tara Street, Westmoreland street for the bus. It rarely takes more than 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

dregin wrote:
    Break me with your wit again please. I'm glutten for punishment.

nah i don't hit people when they're down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

........ TCD HAS a better international reputation then any other college in Ireland. S.............

don't forget me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dRNk SAnTA wrote:
    I don't know how trinners people can give out about UCD being gray. Trinners has an equally mingin' arts building and they're cramming new buildings in to every open space they can find. Not to mention the stress that being in the middle of city would bring at times. Whatever about international reputation, i think that trinners rep in Ireland is being caught up on by loads of other in different areas. Yes there is prestige or whatever but its a little shallow to simply use its rep as its main attribute instead of boasting of its actual courses.

I'll assume that was aimed at me.... :D

Tbh, what I'm trying to say is that all the main colleges in Ireland are much of a muchness. In my particular subject, Trinity is second to none and we have the largest postgraduate Dept in the country.

I also consider my undergrad to have been the best in the country with the possible exception of UCC (but then there was no way i was going to Cork ;) ). I did my MSc at a Top 20 English uni as there is nowhere in Ireland of sufficient standard and now I'm back at Trinity on a Doctoral Scholarship.

As regarding the stress of being in the city centre.....well Trinity is a little Island of Tranquillity....seriously.

PS: Good luck with the LC! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

well you can get a Train from lansdown to drumcondra ( altho its not that regular) and then get a bus from outside the station

There are feeder busses from Harmonstown to DCU ever since feeder busses existed. Even befeor that. In the early eighties when DCU was NIHE Dublin they even put on a bus to get you there from the per dart rail station. It takes ten to twenty minutes.

As a graduate of DCU and Trinity I have to say that though I havent been to DCU for some time and only attend for conferences etc. DCU is a fine college and has high standards. It was great decades ago when everyone knew everyone and you could wander round the Albert College. You could even get onto the roof.

Trinity rooms also had no MAIN ENTRANCE doors and you could get onto the roof of most buildings there also. the theatre and the new accomidations beside it and Aras na Phiarsaigh disnt exist. that was a lane leading onto the road. The Smurfit building and the newer buildings on the science end didnt exist either. I am beginning to sound like Homer Simpsons da. You could buy a bar of chocolate for five pence or a shilling in the old money ... and students of the opposite sex were less but are still the only thing that has come down in price since then.

In DCU there was only the Albert the Bea Orpen and the newly built Grattan building. Oh and the water tower which we frequently climed for any reason. and is it An Grain+AOE-n the building out in the trees opposite the front of the Albert?

In the Albert they had a leather suite of furniture I frequently thought of bringing back to someones flat but never had enough people to lift it anyway. lord knows I brought back sillier stuff. You could just wander round the place There were loads of empty rooms. Academics will now silently do away with others to get such space. For space nobody will ever hear you scream.

Alberty college is now Club 1838 and exlusive to lecturers and post-grads :|

Albert College is now Club 1838 and exclusive to lecturers and post-grads :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

albert collge park..............fun times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Judging colleges like this seems to me to be slightly stupid.

You should really judge everything on a course by course basis.

I studied undergrad computer science in UCD. I quite enjoyed my time there however i have little respect for said department or course.
    in retrospect I probably should have done it somewhere like UL which had a course better tailored to my likes. But that is not to say that UL is a better college.

A college is simply a collection of faculties and departments. You must judge them on that basis and no other.

when i was doing my undergrad....Waterford IT supposedly had the best computer science course....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

dregin wrote:
    Albert College is now Club 1838 and exclusive to lecturers and post-grads :|

Albert College is a lot bigger than the 1838 Club. Though I've heard that place is magnificant if you have the right credentials. :p

Are there not still lectures in there? I never had them but I remember Electronics in first year was in Albert College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Poor 'ol Maynooth doesn't even get a look in here I see. Ah well, I like it :)

Well if UL wasn't in Limerick I would have liked to have gone there. Out of all the universities I've been to that seemed like the one I would have liked the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bigmouth

I find it hard to understand how anyone can judge a college/university without having studied there. The colour of the buildings, size of the gym etc. seem to be superficial reasons to choose a university.

This seems to be a bit of a Dublin City club ;) with noone outside of Dublin mentioned, barring Limerick getting the odd acknowledgement.

Also I'd like to know what everyone's opinions of IT's are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

halenger wrote:
    Albert College is a lot bigger than the 1838 Club. Though I've heard that place is magnificant if you have the right credentials. :p

albert college has really comfy seats... nice big leather couches

dcu has to win, brilliant (albeit expensive) gym and we have a playground!

tcd has prettiest campus with best location but with 2 years of dcu behind me, im glad that's where i went.

ucc has a great campus too, as does UL (even if their women's rugby team has a total monopoly on winning games ;) :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I.T Carlow, hands down

RESPECT THE CARLOW

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm going to Bovine University.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I would say DIT has one of the best computer science honours degrees as it is one of few that has work experience built in which is a big plus for any employer, as for facilities it has a gym and a swimming pool, but as its getting a whole new single campus i'd watch this space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm going to Bovine University.
    lol

ah comic relief

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

RuggieBear wrote:
    Tbh, what I'm trying to say is that all the main colleges in Ireland are much of a muchness. In my particular subject, Trinity is second to none and we have the largest postgraduate Dept in the country.
    Yes, pretty much all colleges in Ireland ar the same, just quality of facilities varies. Indeed course are meant to be designed to have the same amount of work hours per week hence the foundation of the ECTS AFAIK.

Though in relation to the postgrad comment, Microsoft has the largest amount of users in the world, ergo it's the best operating system? Dublin is the best place to live in Ireland because it has the largest population (though admittedly I couldn't fanthom living anywhere else in the country)? etc.

Jorinn wrote:
    Though in relation to the postgrad comment, Microsoft has the largest amount of users in the world, ergo it's the best operating system? .

we are the largest postgrad dept in ireland, due to outside agencies (government, EPA, Teagasc, etc) funding of students - we wouldn't get that funding if the dept wasn't considered to be to the fore in innovative research in my particular field.

we are the biggest as a cause of being the best, we are not the best because we are the biggest...if that makes sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

To the op:

UCD would beat other all other Irish colleges in the areas of architecture, planning and graduate business education (smurfit school).

When it comes to Arts and Commerce, NUI colleges usually only do three years so Trinity's Arts degrees(and other non-NUI colleges) are more thorough as they run to 4 years. However, this can be an advantage to some in that they're shorter.

In terms of international recognition: Although Trinity ranks the highest, Ireland's rankings are still quite poor. Queens University Belfast would blow every college down here out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

I would say DIT has one of the best computer science honours degrees -snip-employer,

I completed 1st year in DIT Kevin Street doing computer science. I left after it.
    The place/course was nice enough, as were the lecturers, but it felt so run down and old that it depressed me. I've this year come to UCD to do Computer Science and im already much much happier.

In DIT first year we did C. While C is a good base to work from i guess (and is still used quite abit) i feel like doing Java in UCD is gonna give me more options (also i think its used more than C).
    The Computer Science degree in DIT felt very much like a computer science degree. Everything you did was with your fellow students so it did feel a bit like Secondary School take 2 (this is neither a plus or a negative really). Lecturers wrote stuff on the blackboard and you dutifully copied em down word for word.
    Ucd on the other hand makes you take 3 maths courses where your bunged in with all the other science students. The lectures are much better organised with all the lecture notes and information available on the web. This means missing a lecture for whatever reason isn't as big a pain. Exam information etc is also there for when you wanna look it all up closer to the time.

With UCD starting the horizons course i've taken up a business subject and must say i was very impressed with the building and teaching/learning aids there. Course seems decent enough but its a very basic course. That said Aungier street in DIT (had practicals there) was pretty nice too.

Campus life/socities/ gym are all much much better in UCD than DIT.

Tbh i dont know which is the "better" college. All i know is that i am much much happier in UCD and feel like i got a lot more control over my future/present than i ever had in DIT. I know people are bitching over the "Blackboard" system but i love it :)

Just my 2 euro cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i go to dkit, it gets better every year course wise, n it serves louth, monaghan, meath, cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

im in dit in aungier st.

we have it sweet in my opinion.

central to pretty much everywhere
    nice modern facilities
    close enough to kevin st to realise we are lucky to be in the nice building, but far enough away so....well, ya know
    really good courses, business wise. esp marketing. people from like 20 diff countries in the 4 marketing years
    and with regards to socs and recreation, for me its a case of big fish in a small pond.

because we dont have one big campus (yet), which would, incidentally make us the largest college in ireland, we are somewhat isolated from each other, although no more than one faculty in ucd is to another.

but anyone, i stray from my point. its really easy and fun to get involved in dit. hell, our su area is always full of people joining in in actually running socs and clubs.

i run one of the biggest in aungier st and am only in 2nd year.

in summary, we are big enough to rock, small enough to care

oh and ucd only have 2 bars, they closed the good one (sports bar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

check out
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/irishleague.pdf
    im afraid ur deluding urself pmonaghan.
    DIT ranks a pathethic 7th.Im afraid u attend a low calibre institution
    DIT best IT in Ireland probally,but best uni in Ireland!!never haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 juju

I go to Pats, it's such an animal college, it's small and friendly and has a great social life, everyone has such a laugh.
    From the open days i went to UCD campus threw me off the college so much, it's so grey and huge! Trinity has a nice campus, full of history and good facilities,great location too. DCU is getting so big! real nice campus tho.
    All the colleges have great clubs&socs and social nights so just choose the right course for you, one that will interest you!!

• Advertisement

djdc, ur obviously wrong.

first off, this is an english paper, and even at best, an irish version of an english paper

and also, if anyone would care to scroll down the page you will see that

'Dun Laoghaire IADT; IT, Tallaght;
    Letterkenny IT; CIT; II, Tralee; GMIT and Trinity College unable to provide exact figures'

also, i was talking about my personal experiences so ur point is invalid.

Advertisement