Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best college in Ireland

Options
  • 31-05-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

ed said UCD was one of the best. pah! the biggest, but not the best.
    having explored many options for my CAO, this was the impression i got as to which are most respected, degree wise
    (also from my friends who wan to do architechture, ect)

of course, it depends totally on what you want to do!

i'm only familiar with dublin, so if someone else will offer their opinions on UL.UCC,UCG, ECT) please!

DIT:architechture, bussiness(best, apparently), engineering
    DCU: computers (best), bussiness, science
    TCD: Arts(best)science, medicine
    St Pats: Primary teaching, Arts (for teaching)

i got the impression from ALOT of people, including guidance consellors, that UCD was kinda second string (except maybe commerce), especially Arts!

(this is just my opinion, don't hurt me please!)

don't say i left stuff out, add it in yourself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Are you trying to start a flamewar!!!!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

ed said UCD was one of the best. DCU: computers (this is just my opinion, don't hurt me please!)

QUOTE]

well if ed said it i suppose its true then

ucd better because
    1. larger more open greener campus
    alot of people play down the importance of the place you will actually be.
    ucd has an open/ greener relaxed atmosphere

2. huge numbers of societie and students

3. bette gym

4 better sports hall and sellection of sports

5. far superior business school, best in ireland, up to date on technology, all laptop based.

Ucd is a more modern college..
    but yeh the art block sucks and is full of wasters

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

these reports do be bull shít, imo

for example, to do my course, trinitys the only place in the country to do it.

pick a college for the course, niot the campus or the gym, or the societys.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

let the flame war begin.

in terms of non-academic facilites, i think TCD is the worst. No student centre and a small, boxy, crappy, sports centre. UCC, UL and UCD blow this crap out of the water. Maynooth is better too, never been in the others.

in terms of which does the best degrees. I get the impression an arts degree in TCD > Arts Degree UCD. I don't do either so i'm only guessing. The arts type stuff they do in DCU is very well thought and are very vocational, so DCU grads get good job opportunities. Also they have work placements. But, the deciding factor here can be TCD HAS a better international reputation then any college in Ireland. So if you want to work in London or New York, sometimes this can help.

In terms of Computer Science I think DCU is best, UL is next best and TCD is the next one. But, maybe people will refute that.

In terms of Engineering, this is very very contenious. TCD offer a very broad and general course in 1st and 2nd year so if you don't know what you want to do this is a good choice. In UCD you can decide at the CAO stage. I really don't know which is better.

In terms of social and student life, TCD kicks ass in terms of Dublin. That's all i know.

It all comes down to the individual in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

eh, this depends entirely on what course your doing, and on personal preferance so really u cant say that there is one "best" college in ireland. however, as im going to UCD-- ITS UCD!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

ed said UCD was one of the best. DCU: computers (this is just my opinion, don't hurt me please!)

QUOTE]

ucd better because
    1. larger more open greener campus
    alot of people play down the importance of the place you will actually be.

3. bette gym

4 better sports hall and sellection of sports

5. far superior business school, best in ireland, up to date on technology, all laptop based.

Ucd is a more modern college..
    but yeh the art block sucks and is full of wasters

More modern?
    DCU has a brand new gym, a swimming pool and a huge park right beside it.

these reports do be bull shít, imo

for example, to do my course, trinitys the only place in the country to do it.

pick a college for the course, niot the campus or the gym, or the societys.

Joe

calm down boyo wow thats great for you... but in situations wher more than one have the course it should definatley be something you look into tho right?

what course do you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

QUOTE]

ucd better because
    1. larger more open greener campus alot of people play down the importance of the place you will actually be.

1. yes, if you like frequent and over powering interruptions of greyness and a smelly lake...
    (also atmosphere is subjective!)

2. Not necessarily a good thing. more people= bigger class sizes= harder to make friends= :(

Personally I've gone with trinity at number one (it's for winners don't ya know)
    in the centre of town, convient for me to get to, good arts faculty, great atmosphere, not too big....just fantabulous all round!

:)

how long does it take to commute to dcu from any where on southside?

seeing as half or more of dub live there tht has to be taken into consideration.
    degrees in dcu not as prestigous as those from ucd esp .tcd

1. yes, if you like frequent and over powering interruptions of greyness and a smelly lake...

in the centre of town, convient for me to get to, good arts faculty, great

in city centre? yeh exactly so use same sentance about geyness for general appearance of trinners and also enjoy the smog like air and general smell of town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

(also atmosphere is subjective!)

2. Not necessarily a good thing. more people= bigger class sizes= harder to make friends= :(

Personally I've gone with trinity at number one (it's for winners don't ya know)
    in the centre of town, convient for me to get to, good arts faculty, great atmosphere, not too big....just fantabulous all round!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY! trinners!

seeing as half or more of dub live there tht has to be taken into consideration.
    DCU computer and bussiness degrees are the best, apparenlty
    lots of work experience and people in DCU tend to be focused

absolutly no waay the business degrees fom ucd(quinn skool of business) are the best available in ire.

as it says on the web page
    'One of seventeen Schools Worldwide to Obtain International "Triple Crown of Accreditation'

so take that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Quinn school of Business has fantastic facilities and resources.

Ucd is great for open fields, always somewhere for a bit of tip rugby

Great sport facilities, soccer, rugby, track, wall-climbing etc.,

Of course its all subjective so its pointless arguing it.

Any social life is what you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

and the flaming has begun..... :rolleyes:

Oh look this is my 3000 post and i'm goin to talk about where I go to college....Trinity.

Trinity is a good college. There are other good colleges in this country. Trinity tends to have a higher calibre of student due to the higher demand to go there and resulting higher points required. In the year of my entrance, the lowest points requirement for any course in Trinity was 420 points which is quite high. The course quality varies from Department to Department but overall most are a very good standard and with students who have proven thru the LC that they can work hard/are reasonably intelligent/or who like me can work out what comes up on exams and then concentrate all studying on a quarter of the course.

Trinity has one huge advantage over all the other colleges in this country....international recognition.

When I tell people from other countries i'm researching a PhD in Trinity, most of them have heard of it and regard it in the highest esteem. They will look blandly at you if you mention UCD or any of the other universities in the country.

I could go on but these are just a few of my thoughts at the moment

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    there was a reason this was in leaving cert thread!
    i'm going to get lynched!

absolutly no waay the business degrees fom ucd(quinn skool of business) are the best available in ire.

as it says on the web page
    'One of seventeen Schools Worldwide to Obtain International "Triple Crown of Accreditation'

so take that
    as it says on it's own web page? hmmmmmmmm........

well its an accreditation from an internationally recognised board. i doubt they just made it up??????????? trinners doesnt hav it dcu doesnt hav it .................. oh wait but ucd does.

give it a visit sometime, i'll be there attending the best business skoll in eire and one of the 17 best in the world

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If you're heading from rathfarnham/terenure direction you're talking about an hour and a half across town. bitch of a commute.

as for computer degrees - the one thing is that the aims of computer degree courses can differ quite alot - for instance DCU provides a lot more choice in its course - which can be both a good and bad thing as it provides more freedom - however the course layout in trinity is designed for each subject to feed into another which is also a very good system. downside of the DCU system is that there was a period where it was possible to get through 4 years of a computer applications degree by not doing any programming - interesting :P think it was just a slip but heh, it happened :)

ed6: ...you really cant talk until you actually sit through a lecture. :P which from how you phrased that i dont think you have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this one:

collage.jpg

sorry, I thought you said collage. :D

sorry, couldn't resist.

just trying to stop the flame wars. ;)

• Advertisement

hahaha. I wouldn't piss on Computer Science in TCD and the one in UCD is just a non runner. It takes me 35 minutes to get from Ballsbridge to DCU.

crash_000 wrote:
    If you're heading from rathfarnham/terenure direction you're talking about an hour and a half across town. bitch of a commute.

wow thats stange last time i checke terenure and ballsbridge are at least equal distance. you shud tell crash how he can get there that fast.....
    own a helicopter dregin ?

go quinn skool of business

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Where UL is situated, about 10,000 students and pretty much only students live in the estates around the college. Its a bit out from town, but we have 3 student bars, the biggest swimming pool / sporting arena in Ireland, more pitches than anyone else and a nightclub all to ourselves.

And its not in Dublin either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Yeah it will take you about an hour and a half to get to DCU from terenure or rathfarnham (for the majority of students), two buses, one in to town, and one out. Of course if you have a car...

pretty much only students live in the estates around the college.

plenty of knaks too, don't lie.

wow thats stange last time i checke terenure and ballsbridge are at least equal distance. you shud tell crash how he can get there that fast.....
    The Dart.
    At least equal? How does that work then?
    You're definitely gonna be a loss to DCU.

yeah take the dart from ballsbridge to DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Obviously i can't talk from experience since i'm about to do the l.c. but my humble opinion on the matter is:

UCD is so good, i know people always bitch about 'the greyness' of the arts building and that area but there are a lot of new buildings too which seem top quality. not to mention Quinners which basically had me creaming myself. The sports campus is pretty top notch (i know UL is better but there is the small problem of that being in stab city), also its got the huge student population so theres bound to be more people of similar interests etc whatever they may be.

I don't know how trinners people can give out about UCD being gray. Trinners has an equally mingin' arts building and they're cramming new buildings in to every open space they can find. Not to mention the stress that being in the middle of city would bring at times. Whatever about international reputation, i think that trinners rep in Ireland is being caught up on by loads of other in different areas. Yes there is prestige or whatever but its a little shallow to simply use its rep as its main attribute instead of boasting of its actual courses.

On my CAO i put down Bus + Management in DIT if I don't get Commerce. I've only seen aungier st on the open day and was only interested in this one course so I can't really say much about it. But they seem to have the most modern business course and i thought the work placement and all that sounded good. DIT def falls down on having no campus though. Do any of you do this course? what do u guys think of it?

I know i've ignored DCU but i dont really know anything about it.

By the way i completely agree with ed and Commerce in quinn beats the pants off of BESS.

• Advertisement

yeah take the dart from ballsbridge to DCU.
    Break me with your wit again please. I'm glutten for punishment.

Advertisement