Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi Driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Are there any CCTV cameras at that junction? If so you could check them.

Regarding insurance, be very wary of telling them anything. I crashed my car once, but wasn't going to claim. I just let the insurance company know in case it got back to them. Next time my premium was due, it had more than doubled!

K.

St James may have cctv that covers the exit. It would be in your interest to chase down that avenue before the write over the tapes with new recordings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

BaZmO* wrote:
    And as she's the one asking for advice here, would it not be courteous to assume that she's telling the truth?

B.

i'm not disputing that, I'm trying to say that its her word against his. There's no recorded witnesses and she has no NCB (possibly learner drivers word? against a professional drivers word)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

seamus wrote:
    If you claim off your insurance without chasing him, your no-claims will probably be affected*.
    If you claim off your insurance, and supply his details to them, they should chase him up for the money, though your no-claims may be suspended until it's ironed out.
    Tread very carefully here. A no claims bonus is normally just that - a bonus for not having a claim. It's not a 'no blame' bonus. If you make a claim off your comp policy regardless of who is at blame, you may lose your bonus. Check the terms & conditions of your policy and/or talk to your insurance company before deciding to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

At the end of the day A TAXIMAN left the scene of an accident. Taximen don't do that unless they know it was their fault. Nail the smart a$$. He'd do it to you without even thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

ando wrote:
    i'm not disputing that, I'm trying to say that its her word against his. There's no recorded witnesses and she has no NCB (possibly learner drivers word? against a professional drivers word)

You could ask what my driving experience or license is....before making an assumption.

FYI

American license for the past 9 years.

FULL Irish license for the past year. Which I sat all your tests to obtain as an american license is worthless in Ireland. And sat an advanced driving course and would love to do a skid school ::hint:: hubby prezzie please!

IN all reality does your license status make you reputable? Just because he is a taxi driver and had to get a specific license does not make him less liable or less likely to be the person at fault. In the eyes of the court he may be seen in a better light but my hunch is that any judge would have driven in Dublin and know what pricks taxi drivers are.

• Advertisement

Divers wrote:
    At the end of the day A TAXIMAN left the scene of an accident. Taximen don't do that unless they know it was their fault. Nail the smart a$$. He'd do it to you without even thinking about it.

I keep oscillating between the above theory and the insurnace problem. I am waiting to hear from the gardas, though I fear that may be for some time! Meanwhile I am going to find out if there was a camera there!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Maybe it was the monk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

BaZmO* wrote:
    But would the fact that he never stopped not go against him?
    True. Leave it to the Guards, hit 'n' run is a serious offence.

They should now be persuing him on your behalf and not just offering to give you his name and address.

Make sure you cc all correspondance with the Garda station to the Carriage Office (also a Garda function).

Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

The carraige office is the best place to go. I've seen the contempt some taxi drivers are treated with there. Some of the cops there hate taxi drivers with a real passion. Make the complaint to them in person. It might help to be a little distraught if you can manage it. (My husband had a fit. I'll lose my bonus etc.) And don't be put off by thinking about his family and his livelihood. Obviously he didn't give a crap about you, your car or your no claims bonus. While a prosecution is eventually decided by the DPP's office, it's got to get it past the top cop in the station first. He decides what goes to the DPP.

In a case like this insurance companies will usually decide between themselves where the fault lies. The fact that he left the scene is in your favour. Taxi drivers are old pros at screwing people who hit them. Car damage, personal injury, and loss of earnings while the car is being fixed / they're out sick. His insurance comapny will be curious as to why he didn't want to make a claim against you if he claims it was your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Paul (MN) wrote:
    I actually think that prsectuing for hit and run is the wrong thing to do.

You have to stpe back and look at the reality of the situation.

1) He's a boll1x
    2) There is small damage to your car

Now look at the consequences of your planned action

Go after him for damages:
    - you get your car fixed
    - you are proved to have been in the right

Go after him for Hit and Run:
    - you get your car fixed
    - you are proved to have been in the right
    - he might lose his job

So what if he is a boll1x. If he loses his job then his innocent family (kids) might suffer too.

Go after him to a point but after that.... let it go. Life's too short.

If you were personally injured in an accident that is a different story. But in this case.... it's just a bit of metal.

pure BS, get him for a hit and run, this is dublin not iraq.
    hopefully he will lose his job/ license. also most taxi drivers are muppets and deny liability or an accident even happened unless there is a third party.
    go to the cops today and ask them to file charges against him, dont delay as he might get away...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

all this over a small piece of bent metal.................

I think I know what is really going on here.... pride. It seems to me that nobody can bear the thought that an idiot got one over them.

Who gives a flying fluck if there is a piece of bent metal on a car. There are worse things in the world. I've no problems with suggestions about getting his insurance to sort it out etc, you shouldn't be out of pocket, but I don't agree with going after somebody for "hit and run", even if they were to blame.

And a response along the lines of "all taxi drivers are bastaards" so you so GET THEM BACK would be a bit infantile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I think it's irrelevant that he's a taxi driver to be honest. The fact is he left the scene of the accident and gave abuse. How many times have you come back to find scrapes and dints on your car and the person who did it long gone? In this case it's a fact that he knew what he did and had no regard for the law. I would not let this go as a matter of principle because of this. If he had of stopped and apologised etc. I'm sure this would not be the issue it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Paul (MN) wrote:

I think I know what is really going on here.... pride. It seems to me that nobody can bear the thought that an idiot got one over them.

Who gives a flying fluck if there is a piece of bent metal on a car. There are worse things in the world. I've no problems with suggestions about getting his insurance to sort it out etc, you shouldn't be out of pocket, but I don't agree with going after somebody for "hit and run", even if they were to blame.

And a response along the lines of "all taxi drivers are bastaards" so you so GET THEM BACK would be a bit infantile.

Before I start, for everyone's info, im the "hubbie" (isnt that sweet)

Paul I have a suggestion: Since it’s so insignificant, I guess you will pay for the damage then? Personally I dont feel the need to shell out 300euro-ish because of some turd! Not to mention the time wasted sorting this out!

I give a flying fúck! Regardless of hit and run, its vandalism! I’m a reasonable bloke in general, but this is pure pi$$ takery here!

If it was an accident, I would be more forgiving. This was cheeky, calculated, and deliberate.

This guy knows full well he's in the wrong and is chancing his arm. I think as a taxi driver he should be made an example of, not from a "all taxi drivers are to$$ers" POV but from the facts of the incident and how it occurred.

He may be a driver by profession, but he is not a professional driver judging from his behaviour. I think its fair to expect a level of decency from any driver on the road, especially "professional" ones. We (wife and I) have an opportunity here to at least get him a proverbial clip round the ear, from either the carriage office or the Gards.

If he does drive like this on constant basis (suspect this is not a once off), he should not be on the road. As for his livelihood, he obviously a cheeky devil, i'm sure he'll figure out a new job if it comes to that! I wont be loosing any sleep, ill be comforted by the fact that, at the very least, I have saved someone else (another victim) severe stress, injury or possibly death.

From his attitude so far, I think it would be fair to say that he has a habit of trying to imitate other drivers. His driving was nothing short of disgraceful! There is NO ambiguity about this.

If I have anything to do with it, he’s going down. Then again, i'm relying on the Gards here, whom I have no faith in....... Perhaps that will be restored?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Paul (MN) wrote:

why dont u pay for the repair? cost at a main dealer would be about 700 euros, and she has every right for it to be done properly.

if you read my post correctly you will see that I have no problem with you wanting to go after him to get him to pay for the damage. You should not have to pay for the damage.

I have a problem with the attitute of "oooh it's a hit and run let's get the bacsktard" because the reality is that he is just a plonker who decided to chance things. The retribution that some many people seem to be advocating is that you "get him good" so that he will lose his job.

I disagree. You should get him to pay for the damage.

As a matter of fact it has happened to me. My car was crashed into and over 1k worth of damage was done to it. After much much work and coaxing I managed to find somebody who told me they knew who did it. I even informed the police.

The purpose of my hard work was to find the guy and get his insurance to pay for the damage to my car. It was not to demonstrate moral superiority, or get him to lose his job (and he would have as it happened while he was in a work vehicle).

In the end my informant denied all knowledge of the incident to the police (he was a work colleague of the person in question.)

And the person who hit my car had since left the company. So I made a comprehensive insurance claim.

maybe slightly off topic but the reason I am taking this viewpoing is that I have experience of meeting people from all walks of life and I feel

- that anybody who acts like that taxi driver probably has various aspects of his life that are not ideal
    - that you never know what is going on in somebody elses mind or why

Maybe I'm a bit soft, but this guy might have reacted as he did for a number of reasons. You are not giving him the benefit of the doubt. This might be the first time he has reacted like this. Perhaps he has just been told his job is on the line. Perhaps his marriage has just broken up. Perhaps he has been under stress for whatever reason for a number of years....... and in the heat of the moment he cracked.

This could be baloney of course, but you just never ever know.

So my approach is as I said..... go after him so you are not out of pocket.... but there is no need to GET HIM.

I'm actually quite surprised by the responses to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I share Paul(MN)'s POV.

**EDIT**
    I'd still break his headlights though ;)

OK 2 things,

1) Paul: Your feelings or your personal life does not give you the right to deliberatley crash into someone's car. And it was deliberate. He may not have meant to do damage but I watched him inch his way forward until he hit the vehicle. I had a rough day at work too and I was in a rush to get home get my husband and get to work function in Drogheda that he crashing into me made me 45 minutes late for and I was the facilitator. But I was not driving and acting like a prick to get home. So I have no sympathy. But it is nice to see someone take his side because an overwhelming majority have not. If I knew how to do a poll I would create one. Maybe hubbie you will do that? I would be interesting. ;)

Second thing is back to topic:
    2) Thank you everyone who has given feedback about this.I spoke to the Carriage Office today and they won't give me his details and they won't take a complaint. They said since I was in an accident with him that I have to report it to the gardas and log the complaint with them. Which is done. Secondly I have not heard back from the Garda at all. I rang her twice yesterday and again today. So now it becomes a waiting game. In the mean time do I have to call my insurance?

How can you say "it was deliberate" and they say "he may not have meant to do damage"? I seriosuly doubt he deliberatly wanted to crash into you and cause damage or not. I guess he was being a bully and went one step too far and panicked?

I agree that there is NO reason for what he did. My point is that your reaction should, in an ideal world and IMO, be not be based on thoughts along the lines of "LETS GET THE BACKSTARD BACK AND SHOW HIM A THING OR TWO". Just because he has been a backstard doesn't mean you have to be one. Sort it out and move on. No point in causing extra grief for him, even if he is a plonker.

Of course, if he had caused severe damage, and there was the possibility of personal injury then my views would be different. But this was obviously just a little tip caused by idiocy.

• Advertisement

ahh cheer up and dont' worry about it. it's only a piece of metal! don't let it ruin the bank holiday weekend :)

I guess he was being a bully and went one step too far and panicked?

My heart bleeds! Again I would expect the accuracy and judgement of a "professional" driver to be better. Not to mention the attitude towards to other users.
    my point is that your reaction should, in an ideal world and IMO, be not be based on thoughts along the lines of "LETS GET THE BACKSTARD BACK AND SHOW HIM A THING OR TWO"

So what you are suggesting is that someone who exhibits this behaviour should be allowed to continue to do so? Its okay, to intimidate other drivers, fúck up and not accept any responsibility?

Once we get the car fixed everyone’s happy? WTF?

Are you really denying that this guy is most likely a dangerous, muppet driver?

He has the cheek to make his own lane at a T Junction, passing other cars patiently waiting, move out into the next part of the junction and intimidate other drivers to the point of a collision? Then to top it all off the drives off?

It’s clear that this guy is an aggressive turd and at the very least should be given a warning from the authorities!

TBH the more you talk about not persuing this, the more unsympathetic I become for the other driver.

ahh cheer up and dont' worry about it. it's only a piece of metal! don't let it ruin the bank holiday weekend

I fully intend to enjoy my weekend, like I said, I wont be loosing any sleep.

Again, this isnt entirely about "a bit of metal". Dont get me wrong, having the thought of a higher premium and all the lark of a claim is a major pain in the ass. I dont trust insurance companies at the best of times, and I won't be surpised if our premium goes up.

But it's more about having a potientially dangerous driver being called up on it...... For once, Just Once!

Paul (MN) wrote:
    How can you say "it was deliberate" and they say "he may not have meant to do damage"? I seriosuly doubt he deliberatly wanted to crash into you and cause damage or not. I guess he was being a bully and went one step too far and panicked?

I can say it was deliberate because he looked at me while he moved his car forward. Hit my vehicle kind of smirked then looked at the damage and got a surprised look on his face. Meaning he meant to hit me but didn't necessarily mean to cause damage just tap the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

....... so .. what have you decided to do?

have you contacted the guards, carraige office or insurance company?

OK 2 things,
    Second thing is back to topic:
    2) Thank you everyone who has given feedback about this.I spoke to the Carriage Office today and they won't give me his details and they won't take a complaint. They said since I was in an accident with him that I have to report it to the gardas and log the complaint with them. Which is done. Secondly I have not heard back from the Garda at all. I rang her twice yesterday and again today. So now it becomes a waiting game. In the mean time do I have to call my insurance?

WAITING :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

whippet wrote:
    ....... so .. what have you decided to do?

have you contacted the guards, carraige office or insurance company?

Re-read post 50 ;)

Beat me to it ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

WAITING :(

If the guards give you no joy, you can try the MIBI - http://www.mibi.ie/aboutus.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why ? He's neither unisured or untracable ? The money the MIBI pay out comes out of everyones premium, why should we pay for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

'Re-read post 50 '

apologies !! the thread was going so far off topic I didn't bother reading some of them !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement