Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live aid 2

Options
  • 27-05-2005 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

this is meant to be announced next week anyone from these boards thinking of heading over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Isn't it called G8 or something? Anyway I heard the lineup this morning.. very impressive . well the Pink Floyd part anyway.. would be their first gig together (gilmour, wright & mason) in a long time afaik.. I'd buy tickets just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Isn't it called G8 or something? Anyway I heard the lineup this morning.. very impressive . well the Pink Floyd part anyway.. would be their first gig together (gilmour, wright & mason) in a long time afaik.. I'd buy tickets just for that.

It will be called Live 8. Word has it that Roger Waters will be performing with Floyd :)

Corm500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Originally they were saying it would be Live 8 but now they're saying its Live Aid II, apparently tickets might be free with them making all the money from sponsorship. Hyde park isn't exactly the best place for a proper gig though is it, would have been nice if it had been Cardiff or something. I would consider going but i'm not sure if it'll just be a big entertainment circus rather than a great gig like Live Aid was.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I heard spice girls are reforming for it..

If ever a reason to turn off that is it.. but if it is true about pink floyd that will be truely brilliant. hopefully they can build a proper stage for them.. bring back the wall ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If its live aid 2, theres gotta be 2 concerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hey Hey, what's this about Waters playing with Pink Floyd. Man that would be great to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

PINK FLOYD RE-UNITE FOR LIVE AID 2!!!!

That will be awesome!! Spice Girls are as well, I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

as long as i can get tickets easily and efficently ill be happy!

Is this only 5 weeks away now, how are they going to organise tickets?? Are there going to be any tickets at all?? Just turn up?

BOB GELDOF has confirmed that he and MIDGE URE are planning a huge gig to coincide with the G8 summit in July, although it will not be called LIVE AID 2.

Acts rumoured to appear include U2, Paul McCartney and Madonna, who also took part in the 1985 Live Aid concert organised by Geldof. There have also been mutterings of a Spice Girls reunion.

“What started 20 years ago is coming to a political point in a few weeks," said Geldof. "There's more than a chance that the boys and girls with guitars will finally get to turn the world on its axis."

“We'll have all the big names we can find," Ure said. “It’s big, and it's as petrifying as the build-up to Live Aid, if not more so."

The rumoured "Live Aid II" concert, under the name of Live 8 to coincide with the G8 Summit. The announcement for this show will be made at 2pm today (Tuesday 31st May).

The show will publicise the MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY campaign, rather than to raise cash. We understand that tickets will be allocated via a text lottery. It's expected that the show will be seen by around 250,000 people, with about half in the arena, and half watching via big screens elsewhere in Hyde Park..

Who's rumoured to play? Everyone! Rumours include the possibility of a full Pink Floyd reunion (which would be a real coup - they've turned down millions to reform for the money!), U2, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, and Joss Stone. See here for the latest details.

Simultaneous events are expected to happen in Washington DC in the USA, Paris, Berlin, and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭grimey

Snow Patrol are playing I think

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

No Spice Girls at Live 8. Yay!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/05/31/story204949.html

No confirmation on who is playing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4594865.stm

Have a look.
    It will be interesting because if it is a "text only" chance to win tickets and they are running it for 7 days!, then it's unlikely they will give Ireland a text number to call and the odds of actually getting any tickets are going to be very slim. Tickets will be more scarce then U2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

velvet revolver....must go!

Yeah only 75,000 pairs of tickets available, I think anyone thinking about going can forget about it unless they are a very very lucky person and if they are a very very lucky person they'd be better off using that kind of luck on the lotto instead.

I hope they allow Irish people to text in.
    Im gonna text in to all of the european ones, so if I can get to one. The line ups for all of them are great.
    Otherwise, Ill just watch it on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

havent heard pink floyd mentioned in the news today, did here about the text, its from monday that the lottery starts.

Lineup so far (According to www.rollingstone.com) is
    Hyde Park, London: Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Muse, Scissor Sisters, Paul McCartney, Joss Stone, Stereophonics, Sting, Robbie Williams, U2, R.E.M., Velvet Revolver, Bob Geldof, the Killers, The Cure, Snow Patrol

Museum of Art, Philadelphia: Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, P Diddy, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, the Dave Matthews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Rob Thomas, Keith Urban, 50 Cent, Kaiser Chiefs

Eiffel Tower, Paris: Jamiroquai, Craig David, Youssou N'Dour, Yannick Noah, Andrea Bocelli, Calo Gero, Kyo, Placebo, Axelle Red, Johnny Halliday, Manu Chao, Renaud

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin: A-ha, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Brian Wilson, Lauryn Hill, Bap, Die Toten Hosen, Peter Maffay

Circus Maximus, Rome: Duran Duran, Faith Hill, Irene Grandi, Jovanotti, Tim McGraw, Nek, Laura Pasini, Vasco Rossi, Zucchero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Blisterman wrote:
    Circus Maximus, Rome:

now that would look cool as a venue

Yeah, too bad the only good act on the lineup there is Duran Duran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

London seems FAR better than the rest.

Yeah, and the first Live Aid, the US concert was much better than the London Concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin: A-ha, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Brian Wilson, Lauryn Hill, Bap, Die Toten Hosen, Peter Maffay

that's the one for me

Brian Wilson and CSN <me drools>

I'd love to see CS&N (And Y too!), but I think the London One has more good acts.
    The US concert has Stevie Wonder, he refused to take part in the last one. Don't ask me why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

dimerocks wrote:
    velvet revolver....must go!
    ditto!!!!!!!
    have to see what the story is with tickets, but it would be soo brilliant!!
    does any one think there will be protests and stuff in dublin at the same time???
    its only a few days before Oxegen, so we could have our own Irish version (except we had to pay for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

http://www.nme.com/news/112519.htm
    That's some line-up.. I think I'll head over..
    Tickets are available via lottery SMS system
    Each SMS costs 1.50ukp each..
    maybe only available to UK mobile nuimbers though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

HarryD wrote:
    http://www.nme.com/news/112519.htm
    That's some line-up.. I think I'll head over..
    Tickets are available via lottery SMS system
    Each SMS costs 1.50ukp each..
    maybe only available to UK mobile nuimbers though :(

Yeah it said in the Irish Times yesterday that it's only open to UK numbers at the moment :mad: Hopfully Geldof will sort that out, he'd be missing out on the best group of people he could get! Anyone going to Edinburgh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Yeah it said in the Irish Times yesterday that it's only open to UK numbers at the moment :mad: Hopfully Geldof will sort that out, he'd be missing out on the best group of people he could get! Anyone going to Edinburgh?
    thinkin about it

Whats happening in edinburgh anyway?
    Some summit of world leaders or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Blisterman wrote:
    Whats happening in edinburgh anyway?
    Some summit of world leaders or something?

The G8 leaders (richest 8 countries) are meeting in Gleneagles about 40 miles outside Edinburgh. This time round the 3rd world is on the agenda, and the 'Make Poverty History' alliance are organising a demonstartion a few days before their meeting, in Edinburgh to campaign for better aid, debt relief and free trade. Check this site if you're intersted!

Advertisement