Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dell always this Crap !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

You should try working for them.

Hey I wouldnt allow a Dell computer into my home or the office where I work in! I know too much of what goes on in that place!

They are awful to work for and awful to deal with!

angeleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

penexpers wrote:
    You won't get €300 out of returning WinXP - I know someone that did it a couple of years ago and got 80 punts, I've heard of others getting less since (like €50 euro).
    A new retail version of Windows XP Home edition costs about €300. The version you get with a laptop is almost certainly OEM not retail. I'm still not sure what the difference is. It's something you'd have to haggle about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ah the saga continues ...
    Due to be delivered today....email sent saying expected delivery date is now the 10th June !!!!
    I'm cancelling my order...DELL SUCK BIG TIME.

Although I did notice some crackin deals on their desktops ..mmm not worth the hassle me thinks

..Does anyone know my rights in this situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Dell don't have an after sales service ! ...

their business model is based on volume shipments to please the shareholders .

They have enough Business customers to make a living from

The consumer side is more of a hassle to them and not their core business

Consumer will all be done on the web pretty soon as its not worth having paying someone to sell €400 machines

Oh my god now this is the clincher ..
    I checked up online again to find my delivery date has been reset to tomorrow,
    I then get an email from them this mornign saying that the order confirmation i received was sent in error and in fact my order is not even in production...
    she now wants me to look online an see if i can find a similar system ?
    So that now i have to re-order a new system ?
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if you think the price ws good , push for the original system , they are trying to worm out of it now , but it takes 10 mins for a team leader to ok the order and then your sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 waz

goldfish wrote:
    I had similar problems with Dell outlet, ie getting a Web receipt when I ordered online but then the order would get lost down the line.

1. Choose your system in the dell outlet store
    2. Put it in your basket, taking note of the system identifier number
    3. Call Dell outlet Sales on 1850 200 778 (During office hours of course!)
    4. Explain what you have done and that your chosen system is in your basket
    5. They will then ask you to release the system from your basket (ie delete from your basket) and they will process the order there and then, taking credit card details etc...

tried a similar approach a few weeks back. only to get an order confirmation detailing a smaller flat panel vdu than I signed up for.
    chased them up on it. they stated that the larger screen was only an offer available to online customers.........funny the double memory and free printer offer were not impacted by this. then they tried.... u purchased after the offer deadline.... but the order confirmation dell issued was the day before this date........ when I stated that all their adverts state call 1850 or purchase online..........no ifs or buts the said I should write them a letter, when asked for a contact name, they just said send it to customer care dept. I had a lot of time on my hands and can be a little anal on such matters so I bombarded the sales rep who eventualy provided a supervisors email who got the same treatment.
    got the correct size flat panel delivered a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

buy your laptop from lidl or aldl they have quality laptops and good after sales service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

This is getting very interesting!

I'm still waiting, no movement whatsoever, the laptop has been in "Order Processing" mode for a week now. I have ordered stuff in the past from the Dell outlet and never had any problems apart from Interlink getting lost or just not being bothered.

Dells latitude service is top class, I have never had any problems whatsoever with any desktops I bought from them apart from a mouse that died after a few months, which they overnighted to me.

AFAIK the contract terms state the order is complete when they ship the merchandise. I used to think they only performed a credit check on ordering and actually charged on shipment. If they have charged you, then I'd imagine you would have a very strong case, that, irrespective of their terms they failed to complete their side of the contract. It shouldnt come to that though, if its a decent bargain, which it sounds, id stick with it and demand the system I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

The most likely thing is that they did lose your original factory outlet laptop and are now trying to worm out of selling a new system at the bargain price. As others mentioned, a factory outlet system is already built (sometimes returned, sometimes never left the factory as the order was cancelled after build) so there's no production involved (their online tracking system simply mirrors the tracking of a new system).

I ordered an Inspiron 9100 of the factory outlet a couple of months ago - delivered in Dublin in 5 working days and no issues.

And though I thought I would never ever buy a DELL (I used to work for them a few years back - arrrgh), the factory outlet deal was 700 euro cheaper than configuring the same system "new"... I wouldn't try the Indian support though...

• Advertisement

Ok we have a development...
    After getting on to Senior sales Mgmt they decided that they had been very bold and gave me the Inspirion 6000 with an ATI graphics card and dvd burner etc for the same price whohooooooo
    but there's a catch ...it has to go through the same process as the last three orders hehehe
    but i finally got on to a sale person in the irish office and she was very helpfull
    called me whenever there was a development ..so lets see if it arrives next week now...
    enjoy the long weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That is an awesome deal if you end up getting it :D .

The 6000 is a lovely little system and much nicer than the entry level 2200. This mess could be a good thing for you after all - just make sure they don't mess up on the credit card charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Just got the Inspiron 6000 myself. You will love it. Savage laptop, imo.

Dell did screw up my order though. Luckily it was in my favour. I ordered a CD/RW + DVD combi for it. When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised to see they had installed a DVD/RW for me. :D

Enjoy your new toy when you finally get it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I was thinking of getting a 6000 over the 9300, (the screen is just too big) and was wondering what the battery life is like, since im using a 9100 and i just get 2hrs.

Order has just been confirmed and looking like a friday delivery date hehehe :D

waiting still waiting sigh :rolleyes: .....I think it was 1842 when I originally ordered this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Have to say i've had no trouble at all with dell, ordered an inspiron 6000 on THursday and it was delivered this morning. This is the second inspiron 6000 i've ordered in a month, that was delivered 2 days after ordering(Sparky_S is now the proud owner of that laptop :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Sparky_S wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a 6000 over the 9300, (the screen is just too big) and was wondering what the battery life is like, since im using a 9100 and i just get 2hrs.

Indeed. What is the battery life like?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

skywalker wrote:
    Indeed. What is the battery life like?

well i got the inspirion 6000 of talla, and the battery lasts just over 3hrs. which is great, but thats with the screen brightness set low.
    Plus the great thing is the laptop goes rocket fast when plugged into the mains.

it arrived !!!!!!! and I must say it's rather class....nearly took away my frustration with Dell lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ThunderStorm

I had nop problem with my Latitude 8300. Arrived as promissed and ppl at customer service were very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I got a desktop through the outlet no problem. Arrived in about 7 days. Couldn't have a built a better machine for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

angeleyes wrote:
    You should try working for them.

Hey I wouldnt allow a Dell computer into my home or the office where I work in! I know too much of what goes on in that place!

They are awful to work for and awful to deal with!

angeleyes

I have been on both sides and can't help but agree.
    5 years down the line after years of working in ITIL compliant services companies, the problem with Dell is its combination of rigid processes internal to teams and departments, but a total absence of proper business processes and operational consistency between the them and other departments (eg Sales and Tech support, tech and part sales etc). I'm surprised they never outsourced the whole of customer care and support (and labelled it as a "partnership" - Dell's usual way of obscuring whats basically outsourced deals).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I bought a Inspirson 5160 about 18 months ago. Got a good deal and managed to persuade the salesman to upgrade the hard drive

It was delivered in 5 days and I was able to track it online. Its a great laptop and I hope to get another year or two out of it. Never given a minutes trouble.

Maybe I've just been lucky as some of my friends have horrer story's about Dells after sales service. I wont post their racist Indian comments here but maybe outsourcing European customer care to India wasn't such a great idea.I guess if you buy a Dell you better hope it never breaks

If I buy a PC in the future, it'll definintly be a Dell although I want to try an Apple someday as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The keys on the keyboard of my Inspiron 1100 fell off after a few months and also the paint on the outside chipped off (even though it was always kept in a case). Also the charger blew up and trying to get a replacement charger from was a complete nightmare. They were of no help to me so I just sold the thing. Never again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Thats some thread revival Batman..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

Thats some thread revival Batman..

God yeah. My inspiron 2200 I mentioned eariler in the thread (last year) is still working flawless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

maidhc wrote:
    God yeah. My inspiron 2200 I mentioned eariler in the thread (last year) is still working flawless!

As are my D8400 and i8600, both bargain outlet machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Can I just point out that every third or fourth thread in this forum is Problem with Dell _____

I agree with your problem and know people that have had similar problems, they contacted cheap solicitors, then made their way to the small claims court(n/a for orders over €1270)
    Their cases were dealt with then "professionally"

We'll have to start a petition...
    Good Luck with problems

• Advertisement

Jebus this thread was dead and burried nearly a year ago ...why bring it back ?

Advertisement