Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dell always this Crap !

Options
  • 25-05-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

I recently put in an order for a laptop Inspirion 2200 from their factory outlet.
    And after 2 days still hadn't received a order confirmation.
    after 3 days they finally charged me for it.
    then after a week i rang to see what was going on as it still had not arrived.
    They gave me a customer oreder number which when i checked online it stated that the machine was in production and expected delivery date was today..
    I checked again this morning to find that my order had been cancelled ?
    now they are investigating why that happened and have put the money back in my account ?

their customer support kept telling me that they required my cooperation ?
    and kept thanking me for shopping at dell to which i replied this is my first and possibly last time ..

anyone else have these problems ?
    did you ever get the laptop you ordered ?
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Ordered an Inspiron last December and didn't have any problems. Received it within the promised time. No company is perfect, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Was it the 2200 ? Any good (if it ever arrives ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

No, just a 510M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dell seem to have gone to **** recently. I ordered a monitor on a corporate account recently and I've now waited for 3 weeks for it.

The Irish guys won't reply to emails or take calls about existing orders; they are there to take your money off you when you order. The indian guys in support are useless.

Agree with you there they keep giving me names of people (supervisors to contact) and i can't understand what they are saying.. I asked her to spell the name and she just ignored me twice ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm a fan of Dell, but there service has gone downhill from days gone by. Its like they don't even have to try anymore.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

problem sounds like going through factory outlet, you are then buying a specific pc that has been returned, chances are they lost it or put it up on the system before they realised there was something wrong with it.

have the 8600 in work and it is ok, but build quality is poor, my tosh at home seems much more solid, one of the guys here has the 9600? (not sure of model numebr )and has had nothing but trouble with it and the service has been atrocious, pillar to post between india and uk without anyone knowing what they are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yeah they can be a pain in the arse for ordering and delivery, but if you get a contact who sorts you stick with them especially if you are a business customer as you can get deals which are not available online :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

daveym wrote:
    my tosh at home seems much more solid
    Ah good old Toshiba!

The Volvo in a market full of Fiats.

Ya it's the factory outlet alright..
    beginning to regret even bothering with them now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

if they've given you back your money and you are unhappy with their service then take your business elsewhere. Their aftersales support is even worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Plus they tie you into using their crappy system for the OS and restore, would never buy a dell ever. Or a packard bell. I want a PC/laptop that when it comes to upgrading it wont cost the earth or still sit there and tell me its Dell still. Plus with dells etc, they could not do more advertising on them if they tried, my laptop (evesham) says the company name once on the shell, and no where else. No irritating symbols on boot. KISS principle, keep it simple stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

anyone else have these problems ?
    did you ever get the laptop you ordered ?

I used outlet for the first time last january when I saw what looked like a decent bargain on an insp8500 laptop.
    After advice from boardsters I contacted Dell by phone when I heard nothing from them after placing the order. Sales rep was very good and said they'd get things moving...
    A day before the due delivery date I received a shipment....whcih ended up being a free carrycase (on offer at the time) but NO laptop :mad:
    Got back on to them and they said there was a problem with the courier and that the machine had been lost (WTF?). Was told I'd get a machine of similar spec. I was pretty worried byt his turn of events...
    Heard nothing for a week and got back on to them...they'd get things moving. At this stage it'd been almost a month since first ordering and I was just about to call and cancel the f**king thing when a courier arrived with a delivery.
    I opened the box and was presented with an 8600c configured just as the 8500 had been.
    Now, the thing was that the original had a first gen P4 CPU @ 2200mhz (not that spectacular, but the replacement was sporting a 2100mhz dothan :eek: along with several other upgrades.
    That cpu on it's own retails for about $800...I paid €760 total for the machine :D:D I still marvel at the quality of the screen.
    Besides the niggling fact of not getting a physical copy of WinXP I am wholely satisfied with the machine. At that price who wouldn't be? Dell tend to f**k up a lot, going by comments I read all over the web, but if you keep on at them (and are lucky with the sales rep you get) they'll come good in the end...
    There's a great thread on this site about how to get free stuff off Dell US lol...doubt we'd get it here but it makes for interesting reading. Also a good site in general if you own or intend to own a dell lappy.

Best of luck with your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Bought one last week, received in 5 days, 600 cheaper than retail. Got the XP cd that you don't get when buying at full price.

Support is crap I agree. Even if you buy corporate onsite gold. Build quality of the last few yrs has been bad.

Though I like the I6000 (fingers crossed) and some of the servers, wouldn't touch the rest.
    Strange way they're running the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if they charged you for it then it did ship , but Interlink stole it ...this will be probably logged on the internal notes but they won't tell you this ,

or they made a mess up on the price and didn't want to honour it

the factory outlet prices can be higher then the up to date prices with the all the discounts so get the best offer you can on the web and then and then call at 8am or close of business when someone either needs to start their quota for the day or save their target for the day

also alot of the web orders and factory outlet orders are not processed on the web but printed out and manually processed to prevent credit card fraud,information can be left in full view around desks for lots of people to steal your credit card number if they wanted too

formatman wrote:
    if they charged you for it then it did ship , but Interlink stole it ...this will be probably logged on the internal notes but they won't tell you this ,

Funny...that's what my gut feeling was at the time I received the carrycase. There was definitely something dodgy goin' on at the time...as for not honouring the deal...once they accpet your payment it's basically a binding contract, no? K

I hope so because the price i paid was fantastic hehe .. basically 550 yoyos with all the mod cons dvd/rw 512Mb ram wireless etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

bought a dell laptop almost a year ago, got it in the time they said, then i went and fúcked up windows (my fault) rang dell and they helped my out. so all in all, i thought they were pretty good, probably would buy another laptop off them in the future.

550 for that , excellent , thats why your order was cancelled , if they stick to the T's and C's then you might have difficulty , best way is to call Sales , tell them your order was cancelled and see can they reinstate it .have your credit card ready nd triple check the quote when they send it to you etc

Don't get stroppy with the sales as your the one grovelling to get the bargain etc (-:

Depends if the sales person is in the mood to take the margin hit for the day

Only hope is talking to Bray also ...won't have a hope explaining the situation to India

• Advertisement

They just sent on another confirmation of my order saying it will be delivered on the 6th June ?
    No explainations as to why it's taking so long ?
    So lets wait and see.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

I bought an Inspiron 2200 for €318 from the outlet yesterday. (Cel 1.4, 256 Ram, 40GB, 11b/g, DVD+RW, 15" XGA, 1yr waranty). Got my order confirmation today. So far, so good!

They just sent on another confirmation of my order saying it will be delivered on the 6th June ?
    No explainations as to why it's taking so long ?
    So lets wait and see.. :D

Seems to be only with the laptop section of Outlet...I ordered a Dim8400 from them on Sunday and it arrived today.
    Perhaps the unit is a refurb from the UK market? Maybe they test laptops a little more than desktops? Really don't know but 7-10 days seems to be about the norm...
    Nice deal BTW...got another nice one meself :D

This morning I got a call appologising about what had happened and they gave me the new order number and details...
    I checked up my order status and guess what it's been cancelled again...
    Even though i had been told an updated delivery date of 31 May ?
    just gets better and better :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

maidhc wrote:
    I bought an Inspiron 2200 for €318 from the outlet yesterday. (Cel 1.4, 256 Ram, 40GB, 11b/g, DVD+RW, 15" XGA, 1yr waranty). Got my order confirmation today. So far, so good!
    That's a good deal. If I got that I'd return WinXP (I'm a Linux fanboi) and try to get the circa €300 refund price. A laptop for under €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

I had similar problems with Dell outlet, ie getting a Web receipt when I ordered online but then the order would get lost down the line.

However I have since sucessfully ordered two different desktops recently by doing the following (recommended by the Dell Outlet sales droid)
    1. Choose your system in the dell outlet store
    2. Put it in your basket, taking note of the system identifier number
    3. Call Dell outlet Sales on 1850 200 778 (During office hours of course!)
    4. Explain what you have done and that your chosen system is in your basket
    5. They will then ask you to release the system from your basket (ie delete from your basket) and they will process the order there and then, taking credit card details etc...

Yes....it's a bit convoluted but it works!

Well i'm still waiting it is in production for the third time as of yesterday...
    all they seem to be concerned about is if their complaints department have been helpful or not ? I said they were but they don't know anything about my order ...to which he replied "yes i'm sorry of this but did they help you ?"
    it was like talking to a wall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Syth wrote:
    That's a good deal. If I got that I'd return WinXP (I'm a Linux fanboi) and try to get the circa €300 refund price. A laptop for under €20!

You won't get €300 out of returning WinXP - I know someone that did it a couple of years ago and got 80 punts, I've heard of others getting less since (like €50 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

An interesting idea anyway though, since I intend to try kubuntu on it. (I have Suse 9.1 and XP Pro on my desktop) I dont know how compatible the 2200 is with linux though, there is very little information online about it, and I dont really have the patience for messing around for hours and hours trying to get fiddly things working.

The laptop is still at the "Processing Order" stage though. I rang up yesterday to ask what was the delay and they said there was no problem and it would be shipped soon. I got a phone call today asking if the service was satisfactory. They must be getting paranoid! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

bought a dell inspiron 8200 a while back. Tried to buy it online but their site kept crashing. Phoned up and bought it...even got them to throw in a free printer. Rang them a few times to get an extact delivery date as I wanted to take the day off to collect it. They said 3 weeks. Thought that was a bit odd. rang back the next day. They said it was dispatched and should arrive the next day. Arrived the next day but it was only luck that I had rung back. My friend had similar trouble 4 weeks ago. Fast track courier service arrived at his house but he hadn't expected delivery. He rang the depot (as they left him a note) and they gave him some verbals about not been there. From what I can see Dell need to sort out their post sales service pretty lively!!! I'm buying from them again in a few months time but dread the anticipated delivery problems

Advertisement