Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Mum Sisters Get £30k

Options
  • 23-05-2005 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Just read this on Sky News.

Just wondering what other people's views are on this. This is not an attack on the girls because of their situation, it is because they are blaming the schools for falling pregnant at the age of 12. Their mother is also too eager to shift the blame onto the schools as well, saying it is a lack of sex education.

Sex education is crap in schools, and they usually give sex ed to those in like sixth year, not to 12 year olds. Isn't it the responsibility of the PARENTS of the child to teach their children about sex education. Everyone always blames the teachers, whenever there is any problem, it is always the teachers that get blamed. Sex ed should be done properly in schools but at the end of the day, until this gets implemented, it's up to the parents to inform their children.

Do they expect teachers to raise their children next? Aaargh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the parents although it's desirable to have sex-ed in schools too. Disgraceful to see people shirking their responsibilities like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yup, the mother is just passing off the blame. It's the usual attitude of some parents - "my little darling", who blame everything on the school, when usually it is actually the parents that are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

But in fairness, I don't think my mother would have thought of giving me sex education at the age of 12?? maybe at 15/16, but 12? like that's just crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Crazy? What are you like? Should that be Ditzyblabla?

You should get sex ed when you've started puberty, regardless of what age that is. You have a right to know what is happening to you body.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

But in fairness, I don't think my mother would have thought of giving me sex education at the age of 12?? maybe at 15/16, but 12? like that's just crazy!!
    Why not? I remember in 1982 our (brave!) primary school teacher gave us sex-ed lessons and there were nearly parents at the gates with burning torches. It wasn't on the official circumulum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Quantum

Sangre wrote:
    Crazy? What are you like? Should that be Ditzyblabla?

You should get sex ed when you've started puberty, regardless of what age that is. You have a right to know what is happening to you body.
    Exactly. My son got sex ed from me when he was 6.

This mother is just another example of irresponsible, selfish, ignorant and indifferent people who have children and then shrug theri shoulders to their own responsibilities. She should have to contribute financially to the costs of this debacle !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

When we got sex education in school there were already at least 5 people who were parents in my class.

It certainly needs to be thought earlier. I'm pretty sure South Park did a great episode about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Does this mean that you didn't know what was going to happen with your body by age 12 right before puberty began? Someone explain what is included in sex education as taught in Ireland, please.

I don't understand why people have children and then refuse to parent them. Children aren't pets.
    It does seem like teachers are expected to do far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Does this mean that you didn't know what was going to happen with your body by age 12 right before puberty began? Someone explain what is included in sex education as taught in Ireland, please.

I don't understand why people have children and then refuse to parent them. Children aren't pets.
    It does seem like teachers are expected to do far too much.

Only aware of primary education in this area - there is a SPHE programme that covers sexuality, personal health etc - fairly rudimentary info on puberty and conception and birth, no info on contraception etc and each school is allowed develop its own policy in accordance with their ethos and parents have an opt out right

I agreee with you being a parent means you have to parent - and you have to take the responsibility on and not abdicate it to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Forgot to add - my sex education in secondary convent (yeah I know ignore the user name, I'm a girly), was the head nun showing us the sanitary towel dispenser in the toilets and telling us we got periods as a punishment for Eve's misbihaviour in the Garden of Eden :rolleyes:

We did have a student teachr in third year that tried to give us info on natural family planning methods, but funnily enough she didn't get a permenant job afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Now maybe i'm out of sync with the times here but isnt 12 seriously young to be having sex anyway ?

I would have been 12 around the time the school gave us sex ed alright. It varies from place to place. Ultimately though I belive that its the parents responsibility to educate the child on this and not to leave it to the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

c - 13 wrote:
    Now maybe i'm out of sync with the times here but isnt 12 seriously young to be having sex anyway ?
    And 9 is too young to start drinking. But in this day and age, it happens.

=-=
    Sky News wrote:
    who is in a secret relationship with the baby's 38-year-old Asian father
    What age is "legal" over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

This is an interesting question, which I need to address on a very personal level soon enough.

When I was 15 I got my girlfriend of the time pregnant, my sex ed up to that point had consisted of talk from my group of friends and the occasional "borrowed" adult film that we would watch while one of us had a free house...hardly a true reflection of the world around me at the time.

I know that my parents didn't really speak to me about sex, but I thnk they honestly believed that I wasn't up to anything. After all it was my first girlfriend, I was never out after 9-10 O'clock and where would I find the time and opportunity? Parents are very naive aren't they?? ;)

Anyway my son will be 12 this summer, and while he still makes a song and dance about hating girls I am starting to wonder when I should chat with him. It's a catch 22 situation, if he is still truly at the stage where he has no interest in girls, then will talking to him set his mind on a path to start experiencing these things I talk about? On the other hand if I don't talk to him and then he gets himself in trouble I won't forgive myself.

I think I'm going to talk to him at some stage this year, he has had basic sex ed in school (so he's already ahead of me there) and I suppose I'll be looking to fill in any gaps or answer any questions he might have, but it's a more daunting idea than you might think.

In the case specified by the OP, I think it shows an amazing lack of support and care from the parents, I mean letting 13 year old boy spend the night with your 11 year old daughter. Not to mention an 18 year old daughter who gave birth at 16 and has had an abortion and two miscarraiges. I just can't fathom it to be honest. Anybody can make an error of judgement and live with the consequences, but to continually make the same error, and then allow others to repeat your mistakes?? It boggles the mind.

Having a child at any time of your life is a wonderful and heart moving experience, but while I wouldn't change anything about my son, I think it would have been better for him and for me if it had happened when I was more mature and experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I find it laughable that they're blaming the school. How about standing up and taking responsibility for their actions. The mother and daughters equally. It was teh daughters that opened their legs willingly. Whatever about the 16 year old with two miscarriages and an abortion, the other two would have gotten some "education" from their older sister's chain-of-events.

And in any case, erm ... statuatory rape anyone? At the very least for all three girls? Added to the fact the picture I saw ina paper yesterday had this beaming mother with them. Her daughters lives are effectively "over". They've not even lived yet and they've been given a grave responsibility. Another human life, and I sincerely doubt they're mentally equipped for that.

It's the daughters kids that I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Iago wrote:
    Anyway my son will be 12 this summer, and while he still makes a song and dance about hating girls I am starting to wonder when I should chat with him.
    Think of what your mind was like at that age, when anything to do with women was prissy/gay/"not macho". Tell him, as once the "leader", or the "popular" guy gets a girl, then they'll all(rest of the class/club/etc) try to get one. After that, they'll brag about exploits they never had... and you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There are so many things wrong with this story. In the 'shouldn't happen' rather than 'innaccurate' way. I completely agree that children shoud have sex ed from pretty much the minute they become curious about their own bodies. Just the basic biological differences from the age of maybe 6 on, and maybe bringing some of the emotional side into it from 11 or so.

What really disturbs me is the Mother palming off the blame. While hormones play a large part in the girls randyness, (for want of a better word,) low self-esteem is one of the key factors in sexual activity at a young age. Self-esteem that daughters get directly from their parents. As a parent, you indirectly teach your child how to think and feel about themselves, a lot of the time on a subconcious level.

Also, as lemming said, statuatory rape ahoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

stupid young mothers breed stupid young mothers tbh.
    i'd say about 90% of teenage girls i see pregnant and having kids had a mother who was a teenage mum too. its a cycle of idiocy.
    of course there are lots of sensible people and mistakes happen, but its all down to what you learn from your parents, and they clearly didn't learn too well

The son's called T-jay. :eek:

I can see that people are reluctant to criticise teen mothers after the stigma they faced in the past but allowing 12 year olds to have kids is child abuse. Also, I wonder who the legal guardians of the babies are - surely kids can't be legal guardians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With some girls now having their first period at the age of 9,
    there is a huge lack of respect shown to these very young women, by not
    teaching them about how thier body functions.
    They also have at that age urges and unless they are tought to respect themsleves and the consequences they will simply do what feels good.

Yes thier mother should have done a better job, but the fact that this is still seen as acceptible is horrendus. Each of the fathers should have thier wages
    garinished.

Age of consent in the UK is 16.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/unitedkingdom.htm

simu wrote:
    ... allowing 12 year olds to have kids is child abuse. Also, I wonder who the legal guardians of the babies are - surely kids can't be legal guardians?
    I believe that a parent who shows a pattern of indifference to the sexual behaviour of her underage children should be charged with facilitating the rape and abuse of that child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yup definitely. There's something seriously wrong with that mother's parenting if all three of her girls had children at the ages of 12, 14 and 16! A girl getting pregnant at 12 is just wrong on so many levels, how could a 12 year old even get into that situation!? If there was proper parenting going on, they wouldn't be having sex at such young ages, it's sick to be honest :eek:

When I was 12, jees I didn't even know what a boy was! I was totally innocent, still playing with my Polly Pockets. I remember when I was 15 and hearing about a girl in my class who had done it with some lad, god I was horrified at the thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How she can have the nerve to go to the media and blame the school for her complete lack of parenting skills is mind-boggling. She's just another example of the "everything's society's fault, I'm not to blame for anything" gobsheen culture we live in these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Its only 30g's between the three of them, not enough to live on for 3 kids with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

30k sterling and no rent is very managable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RasTa wrote:
    Its only 30g's between the three of them, not enough to live on for 3 kids with kids
    RasTa, it may be 'only' 30k, but it's 30k of taxpayers money that the state wouldn't have to waste if that woman knew what it meant to be a mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

I remember it was cold eving in 4th class that we got to see the 'miracle' of birth.

My first glimpse of what goes on between a womans legs followed by blood, gore and umbilical...

I would have had it in 4th class, and I'm surely I would have thought it nesscessary for women to have it around this age, dependant on their period?

Altheus wrote:
    I remember it was cold eving in 4th class that we got to see the 'miracle' of birth.

My first glimpse of what goes on between a womans legs followed by blood, gore and umbilical...

Gawd, no need to show all the gore all the same! I still haven't and don't intend to!
    I would have had it in 4th class, and I'm surely I would have thought it nesscessary for women to have it around this age, dependant on their period?

What does this sentence mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

did anyone else think the fact that a 38 year old asian man having a child with a child is a bit sick??

all three are slappers, the mother is a leech. they should not be getting money for not keeping their legs' closed.

I have no sympathy for them.

As for blaming lack of sex ed for her daughters being slappers, i don't think i even need to comment on that.
    i didn't and the rest of my school didn't get it till we were lik 16, and no one got pregnant or made somone pregnant, so that excuse is the worst i have ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

ArthurDent wrote:
    the head nun showing us the sanitary towel dispenser in the toilets and telling us we got periods as a punishment for Eve's misbihaviour in the Garden of Eden :rolleyes:

Jesus, you gotta love those fukin nuns.

the_syco wrote:
    And 9 is too young to start drinking. But in this day and age, it happens.

who the **** drinks at 9???

PENIS CLOSES ROAD!!!!

Maybe if the girls had seen this penis being blown up by the bomb squad then mayber they might have kept the legs closed.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13355259,00.html

• Advertisement

who the **** drinks at 9???
    Quick true story: Last week in Kilbogget park, Cabinteely. I was on a walk and encountered a small crowd. 9 year old unconscious on ground with two impact marks on his forehead and chin. Turned out to be unconscious due to half a bottle of vodka (ambulance then arrived). Friends swore they hadn't a clue. Father arrived and didn't even bend down to say hello to him. Later two local ladies passed us further down the path and commented "who can watch them all the time.. we can't keep them on chains .." I said... "**** that, it's the parents JOB to watch them and keep them safe !" You should have seen the blank look of puzzlement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement