Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin of Irish language

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have a bit of a mix between Ulster and Munster Irish as the school changed teachers a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Chonaic mé é seo faoi gaeilge na hAlban, cheap mé go raibh sé an-spéisúil.
    Má feiceann tú ar na pictuirí tá siad beagnach mar an gceanna leis an ghaeilge. Níor cheap mé go raibh sé chomh cosúil le chéile.

Visitscotland.com

I seen this about scots gaelic, i thought it was really interesting.
    If you look at the pictures they're almost the same as irish. I didnt think they were so similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 harry1234

Yea, I used to be saying that alot of the Latin was brought in bythe Monks- words like sé,tú sí etc.
    Professor Louis Philip Costa- an anglo Indian at Harvard and a Sanscrit scholar, told me in Dublin that in his opinion words like Mé. tú and sé all came over from Sanscrit into both Latin and Irish.
    Harry

if you come from Munster irish and try to listen to Donegal Irish you have to listen very carefully for the first 5 years or so to get the accent and the shortcuts.
    Some people tell you that Munster I (like south Tipp and waterford) isnt Irish at all, just souped up english.
    Then there was the group that told President Childers to give up Irish because his accent was not suitable.
    Sir John Betcheman (who went to school in Dublin) had the Foclór Gaeilge/Béarla on his office shelf when John O'Donaghur asked him "An Bfhuil Gaeilge agat?" and he replied "Bhfuell do bhí, ach níl sé agam anois".

North america is over there as you go in - between the atlantic and the Pacific oceans.

• Advertisement

Yes. I used to think that words came into Irish from Latin through the monkish writings. Professor Louis Phillip Costa, an Anglo-Indian Sanscrit expert said that in his opinion words like mé, tú and sé came over from Sanscrit into both Latin and Irish.

A lot of the latin is from the monks back in the 6th century when they started writing down stuff.

There were 6 celtic areas Irish/Scotish and I think Manx were similar the other group was Welsh / Cornish / French Breton, something about P and Q. Welsh is sounds very different to Irish and words for things like numbers, seasons, countryside things are quite different too.

Always amazes me that Germanic speakers think Irish shoulds harsh !

[edit] - quick google says that Irish is a Q language and Pictish is in the Welsh group.

Celtic -> Gallic

* Gaelic -> Old Irish (-> Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Manx)
    * Brittanic -> Old Welsh (-> Welsh, Cornish, Breton, Pictish)

BTW: OffTopic just found this a strory like An Táin
    Story of Mac Dathó's Pig - http://vassun.vassar.edu/~sttaylor/MacDatho/
    I used to say that but Professor Louis Philip Costa, a sanscrit expert, told me that words like mé, tú and sé came into both Latin anf Irish from Sanscrit, thanks also to Landser for his excellent analysis. Harry

Advertisement