Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    The only good thing about this show is listening to Terry slaggin them all off!... LEGEND! :D

tbh i cant stand him. he's a condescending wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The best entry won, and my GOD the singer, Helena was so hot. I was rooting for Greece all the way anyways.

It was also good to see Ireland give the UK a good vote, as the UK always give us a decent vote.

greece2005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

gimmick wrote:
    The best entry won, and my GOD the singer, Helena was so hot. I was rooting for Greece all the way anyways.

It was also good to see Ireland give the UK a good vote, as the UK always give us a decent vote.

greece2005.jpg

I think we shoulda gave them more, they were pretty good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most of the countries got high places last year and there are four that qualify because they pay most of the money namely britain.
    guess which four countries got least points :D

which countries did they displace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zhane wrote:
    I think we shoulda gave them more, they were pretty good

I dunno, Id be happy to give her one! :o Thats awaful. Ill be off then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

As I said in another topic, I can’t see where all this cynicism regarding the Eurovision is coming from. Ok we aren’t winning it like we used to and the ‘new’ European nations are gaining ground, but that is a reflection of Europe in general.

On no other day of the year does the whole of Europe (and a lot of the rest of the world) sit down and watch one show. Closest we have to a pan-European event.

Isn’t all this talk proof of its success? Year on year, ratings in most countries are going up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

My cynicism is that since televoting, the best song no longer has the best chance of winning. With the old jury vote, the cream always rised to the top (more often than not) while since 1998, its been hit and miss, some very good Eurovision songs winning, and those that are, well plain crap. Last year was a case in point, gimmick over substance. The block voting wasnt as much a feature as in previous years, the usual suspects traded 12 points alright, but it was not as blatent as when Latvia or Estonia won a few years ago.

But the Big 4* being last is a worry. Wogan was alluding to it in the commentary. The BBC are not planning to show the 50th birthday show in October, and I can detect from Wogan, how much longer can the BBC put up with always being last, and why throw money at an event that is getting too commercial for the BBC's liking (the CD and book plugging, as well as the ads for Coca-Cola in the credits, which the BBC interestingly ended the broadcast mid-way in the reprise) and block voting will ensure that the UK does prop up the table.

The other big surprise of the night was that Terry stayed off the sauce for long enough! The "Ant and Shriek" comment about the presenters was inspired!

* Big 4 = France, UK, Spain and Germany, who contribute the most to the Eurovision Song Contest budget, and are guaranteed to be in the grand final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The best entry won
    Cant say I agree.
    The last deserving winner of the Eurovision was Sweden in 2001 with 'Take me to your heaven'.
    The last 4 years have been won by inferior circus acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Denmark's 'Fly on the Wings of Love' in 2000 was pretty good too now.
    You remember it..y'know - the one that Mickey Harte ripped off :D

Wahey! - at last RTÉ managed to cobble together a live backdrop of College Green for Dana's results, the first ever for Eurovision in the history of Irish broadcasting! No crappy lopsided board of an 80s view of the Custom House!
    And Dana's lighting was beautiful and no messy stand mics or lapel mics in shot!
    Miracles never cease!

Pity about the safe area being breached though for practically every voter - their station logos being omitted. What a shame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DMC wrote:
    My cynicism is that since televoting, the best song no longer has the best chance of winning. With the old jury vote, the cream always rised to the top (more often than not) while since 1998, its been hit and miss, some very good Eurovision songs winning, and those that are, well plain crap. Last year was a case in point, gimmick over substance.
    How about a mix of Jury and televoting ? The problem with people voting for songs in a language the understand won't go away. Also the problem of migrants voting for their own country whilst abroad can't be got arround either.

If only there was a way of letting the televoters vote for the song without the visuals but that's impossible.

Or maybe have a second category to sepeate the vote - you can vote for the song and the visuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wahey! - at last RTÉ managed to cobble together a live backdrop of College Green for Dana's results, the first ever for Eurovision in the history of Irish broadcasting! No crappy lopsided board of an 80s view of the Custom House!

A shame it was one of the crappiest links of the night - the only saving grace was that she wasn't picking her nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

as the UK always give us a decent vote.
    Guess why! It's because many Irish people live in the UK.
    The Eurovision songcontest is just all about politics and I don't enjoy it at all.
    "Waterloo" by ABBA, "Maria Magdalena" by a Croatian singer few years ago and "Ein bisschen Frieden" by a German singer long time ago were the only good songs ever in this contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Gasp - what about Niamh Kavanagh!? Quite excellent I think you'll find :)
    BuffyBot wrote:
    A shame it was one of the crappiest links of the night - the only saving grace was that she wasn't picking her nose.

lol - so true. She was so apallingly unprofessional, ramming the oirish thing down Europe's throat for half an hour. Whereas I'm all for a nice chatty intro and a bit of Irish, she just blathered on for ages.
    And talk about not being able to communicate - she acted like a broadcaster from Romania joining for the first time 40 years ago - speaking as if she was making contact from the moon :rolleyes:

eurovision1.jpg
    http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14441&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=192

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

How about a mix of Jury and televoting ? The problem with people voting for songs in a language the understand won't go away. Also the problem of migrants voting for their own country whilst abroad can't be got arround either.

And I hear that is what they are planning for the 50th Birthday show in October; 10 songs voted for through www.eurovision.tv and another couple of songs from a judging panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

How about if we buy sim cards from all the countries participating and use them to vote for Ireland next time??

I have never seen such blatant discrimnation in printed press, on the air waves or on messageboards against individuals based on their hair colour or freckled skin type. If they were black this sort of critcism would not be acceptable, if they were Turkish infact it would not even have been acceptable to mention a kebab!

Advertisement