Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Enii wrote:
    It probably didn't help us that the Qualifiers weren't broadcast on BBC, we probably would have got a good few votes from Britain.....

I think some people are forgetting that it was actually a sh1te song.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Enii wrote:
    It probably didn't help us that the Qualifiers weren't broadcast on BBC, we probably would have got a good few votes from Britain.....

Thought it was just countries in the qualifier who could vote .. (did not watch so dunno )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cmaclo

Its a disgrace they got through in the first place... theyre were so bad... :eek:

They werent representing Ireland cos they were good.. they got so many votes cos every mucker from Athlone and surrounding counties were voting for them...

I know its good to support your county etc , but come on.. not if theyre s***e! You want to see the bus loads of WestMeath jerseys around DCU when 'Your a star' was going on.. you'd swear it was an All-Ireland final...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Enii wrote:
    It was on BBC3.

The song was crap but that pair on the stage were worse. They should no by now that image has a lot to do with success and a bloody 15 year old geek with his big sister are not going to go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

cmaclo wrote:
    I know its good to support your county etc , but come on.. not if theyre s***e! You want to see the bus loads of WestMeath jerseys around DCU when 'Your a star' was going on.. you'd swear it was an All-Ireland final...

You're A Star is "GAA The Musical"

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

LizardKing wrote:
    Anyone get the email doing the rounds ...

jist of it here

Original Message

Subject: A Minutes Silence at 3 pm - A Worthy Cause, I think you will agree....

<image attached>

Jesus. They really look like pikeys. Just imagine "Hay mistar any shmokes for the baba?" "Wanna buy a dag?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1488671,00.html

"Meanwhile, Dr Harry Witchel, a physiologist and music expert at the University of Bristol, said that Abba's Waterloo was the best Eurovision song of all time.

He said Waterloo contains the ideal combination of seven crucial ingredients: pace and rhythm; an easily memorable song; the perfect chorus; key change; a clearly defined finish; dance routine and costume.

The expert put this year's competitors through his criteria and found that Bosnia and Herzegovina had the best chance of winning, with the song Call Me.

British entry Javine was seventh in the list of singers most likely to take the Eurovision crown this weekend.

Celine Dion's Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi, which won the contest in 1988, came second in the list of perfect songs. Her song was followed by the UK's 1967 entry, Puppet on a String by Sandie Shaw.

Dr Witchel said: "For any music fan it should come as no surprise that Waterloo is the perfect Eurovision song. The main thrust of the song, the word Waterloo, is just three syllables long and then there's a lot of space for it to become both memorable and emotionally evocative ... I don't think there will be too many tracks of its quality in the next 50 years of Eurovision."

Dr Witchel's best Eurovision songs

1 Abba, Waterloo (1974), Sweden
    2 Celine Dion, Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi (1988), Switzerland
    3 Sandie Shaw, Puppet On A String (1967), UK
    4 Teach-In, Ding-A-Dong (1975), Netherlands
    5 Bobbysocks, La Det Swinge (1985), Norway
    6 Bucks Fizz, Making Your Mind Up (1981), UK
    7 Salome, Vivo Cantando (1969), Spain
    8 Johnny Logan, Hold Me Now (1987), Ireland
    9 Dana, International Diva (1998), Israel
    10 Charlotte Nilsson, Take Me To Your Heaven (1999), Sweden"

Personally my fave eurovision song is What's another year but it doesn't make the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Enii wrote:

It was on BBC 3 I watched some of it, it sucked, I didn't vote.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

As cringe-inducing as the peformance was in terms of tackiness, in fairness they were no worse than any of the others, in fact better than most. Their performace was excellent by their standards, and that of the contest in general.

I blame two factors in our not getting through - no1 by a long shot was the fact that they were dressed in black on a black stage. Who the hell decided on that?! One of the most ridiculous moves in RTÉ presentation I've yet seen. As a result, in the eyes of the voters they merely blended into the morass of acts and failed to stand out from the crowd. Visually their performance looked awful consequently: you couldn't see tham half the time against the background.

Secondly the lighting design wasn't great - even the Late Late's lighting during their performace on it last week made use of the 'don don don don' bit to great effect - this (if it says anything about the song) is what the whole performace relied on and it fell flat with the timid attempt made by NTU television.
    Also the vision mixing and camera work didn't do justice to its pace.
    In this respect I think Ireland was dealt a bad deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol, good god... the two pikies didnt qualify. oh well.
    in fairness that is probably the 2nd worst euro song ive ever heard (gemini from england being the worst).
    lock this thread and leave the mcCalls to eternall damnation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

haha to the two pikeys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They deffo looked like a bunch of midland knackers. The whole "your a spa" show needs re thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

The worse thing now is that they'll be all over the tv for the next month doing interviews and then they'll probably be given some kids show to host because RTE know what we want in programmes (??????). Trust me it will get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

In the semi-final, Ireland came 14th, with 53 points, which was 32 points off 10th place, which was the last spot in which to get into the final tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I fancy Switzerland to win this year.12-1.
    Great song ,best by a mile and 4 sex kittens singing it.
    Why are Greece 5-4 favs ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are gauranteed 12 points from Cyprus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh well, its 20.00 hrs - once more into the breech my friends, once more into the breech.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Fúcking Norway emot-rock.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭anna20

how come some countries automatically qualify for the finals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Most of the countries got high places last year and there are four that qualify because they pay most of the money namely britain.

Norways performance was poor I thought. The one which I think had the best impression on the crowd so far was Maltese song.

Live stream
    mms://ms.mdcs.dtag.de/encoder.toi.stefan-video_lodisdn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I hope Norway win. Jaysus, the Israeli would get four or five of me and i dont mean points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

The Israeli mermaid will probably win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if we got rid of the songs (if you want to call them that?) & just vote for what countrys we like this year!!! Its the only bit thats watched anyway

Titsanddrumsvision this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i hope malta gets it or the punter from denmark.

Israeli one had a very good figure but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

smileygal wrote:
    Titsanddrumsvision this year ;)
    That can't be a bad thing :D

it is if you're the Danish entry and had neither! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The only good thing about this show is listening to Terry slaggin them all off!... LEGEND! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Greece :rolleyes: guh

Advertisement