Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    Correct the tiny "1" in the number plate, would mean the registration document might have been lost at some stage and a new Vehicle certificate issued at some stage

Is this the reason for the small 1s and sometimes 2s. I thought it was if you got a new set of plates made up,isnt there something about the dutch government having to issue them,not your friendly local motorfactors!
    The Dutch registration system is pretty complicated as far as i can see. Can you tell age and area from a number?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Is this the reason for the small 1s and sometimes 2s. I thought it was if you got a new set of plates made up?
    It used to be whenever you lost any of the 3 vehicle licensing documents, OR if one of the plates got missing, basically to weed out people making a stack of license plates and use them for illegal purposes (like sticking them on a similar car and drive two cars an pay tax for one... But they have done away with the latter, because you sometimes had people driving around with 3's and 4's on the plate, because their plates were stolen or otherwise missing...

isnt there something about the dutch government having to issue them,not your friendly local motorfactors!?
    Your friendly motor factor can issue them, BUT they have to be officially certificied and all plates carry an official stamp in them. Also you MUST show registration documents and ID before you can get one made up.
    The Dutch registration system is pretty complicated as far as i can see. Can you tell age and area from a number?
    Not really, in Holland the regs do not show area, only age if you know your nnumbers, very much like the old Irish system, if you know your digits well, you can make an educated guess as to when the reg was issued.
    It;s just they run out of number very quickly and have to shuffle the position of the letters and numbers quite regularly. Since the last two years, the regs now have a 3 letter combination in the middle...
    I get all the specific car info from the equivalent of the Irish Cartell, but the Dutch one is free :-) https://ovi.rdw.nl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

25thjuly10132.jpg

A Daimler DK400 ?

25thjuly10134.jpg

Opel Manta

25thjuly10017.jpg

not many of these around......Mitsubishi Galant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Original Irish Kildare reg Mercedes SL. Would be interesting to know the history of this.........

mercsl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

G Luxel wrote: »
    25thjuly10132.jpg

A Daimler DK400 ?

25thjuly10134.jpg

Opel Manta

25thjuly10017.jpg

It's a DR450 Majestic Major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

G Luxel wrote: »
    25thjuly10132.jpg

A Daimler DK400 ?

25thjuly10134.jpg

Opel Manta

25thjuly10017.jpg

Than manta is a regular around Kinsale, an '86 reg, i think

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    Since the last two years, the regs now have a 3 letter combination in the middle...
    I get all the specific car info from the equivalent of the Irish Cartell, but the Dutch one is free :-) https://ovi.rdw.nl/
    Thanks paul,im often in Holland and iv noticed the new 3 combo in the middle plates alright.
    And i was looking for that Reg finder aswell!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Bulloch Harbour yesterday.... probably on a stake out of some sort...

DunLaoghaireJuly2010030.jpg?t=1280313933

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

bijapos wrote: »
    Bulloch Harbour yesterday.... probably on a stake out of some sort...

DunLaoghaireJuly2010030.jpg?t=1280313933

Well he found a good "plaice" to park.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

mustang68 wrote: »

:):) :Shakes head:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

scan0001.jpg?t=1280321253

I didn't see this today but....

I was going through some old stuff and I came across this, it's a photo of an Isetta in the Checkpoint Charlie Museum in Berlin. The East German border guards thought that the Isetta was so small that no one could hide in it so it was the only car that went through their borders unchecked.

Somebody hit upon the idea of taking the cooling system out, and I think putting in a very small tank, reckoning that the car could go a few km without it, and that fairly flexible person could hide in the car and pass through. It worked a few times it seems and some people got out with this car.

Here's a bit more on an escape.
    The House at Checkpoint Charlie displays an Isetta, an Italian-made mini-car so small that it was exempted from the usually meticulous examination at the Checkpoint.

Although the Isetta looks barely large enough for a driver, it had been modified to hold an escapee in the space once taken up by the battery and heating system. One at a time, nine refugees escaped to the West huddled in those cramped quarters.

As time passed, guards became harder to fool. They began to search cars more carefully, using calibrated rods to measure the dimensions of all types of vehicles. Mirrors to examine the underside of vehicles were added to their arsenal.

But the courageous kept trying. Heinz Meixner, an Austrian, began working in East Berlin in April, 1962. His passport enabled him to travel through Checkpoint Charlie at will. Then romance entered the picture.

One evening Meixner met Margarete Thurau at a dance in East Berlin. As love grew, they made plans for marriage, and Margarete asked permission to emigrate to Austria. East German authorities denied her request.

Undeterred, Meixner decided to drive under one of the steel beams that stretch across the narrow exits in the Wall. He chose Checkpoint Charlie, and riding a borrowed motor scooter, stalled it while the guard checked his passport. Meixner managed to measure the height of the barrier. It was only 37 1/2 inches above the pavement.

Meixner began a painstaking survey of West Berlin`s car rental agencies to find an automobile low enough to slip under the barrier. He selected a sports car, a red Austin-Healey Sprite. Without its windshield the sports car measured 35 1/2 inches in height. He chose a Sunday, shortly after midnight, for his run.

A few hours before starting he removed the windshield and, for added insurance, let some air out of the tires to lower the car even further. Margarete huddled in the tiny section behind the driver`s seat. Meixner`s future mother-in-law was crammed into the cramped luggage area. For protection against possible gunfire, Meixner had surrounded her with 30 bricks.

Sunday, May 5, 1963. It was time for the run. In the early-morning darkness, Meixner drove to the first barricade on the East Berlin side of the checkpoint. He displayed his passport to the guard, who motioned him on to the customs shed. Instead he gunned the motor, whizzed around the vertical bars and skidded past the startled guard.

Before the guards could fire their submachine guns, Meixner raced to the last steel bar, ducked his head, floored the accelerator and rocketed into West Berlin. He was traveling so fast that when he finally hit the brakes the tires left 96-foot-long skid marks.

After the American guards recovered from their shock at this apparition that had materialized out of the early-morning gloom, they welcomed Heinz Meixner, Margarete Thurau and her mother.

Meixner told the Americans, ``I figured it would take the guards three seconds to draw their weapons once they knew what I was doing. I knew Margarete`s mother was protected by the bricks. I felt I could make it with about three inches to spare . . . Now we can get married.``

The exploit, and the Sprite, received international publicity. Several months later Norbert Konrad tried the same stunt. Although born in Germany, Konrad had an Argentine passport. He had fallen in love with an East German woman, Helga Werner, but the authorities refused permission for her to emigrate. Although concerned that the guards at Checkpoint Charlie might be particularly suspicious of sports cars, Konrad rented an Austin-Healey Sprite at a West Berlin agency.

As Helga huddled in the trunk, Konrad drove toward the East Berlin checkpoint. En route, an East Berlin policeman stopped him; Konrad was certain he had been discovered. He relaxed when the policeman pointed to a loose fitting on the exhaust pipe and told him to have it repaired. Konrad gladly fixed it, then resumed his drive.

At the checkpoint Konrad showed his passport, and the guard directed him to the customs office. Instead, Konrad stepped on the gas, raced for the barrier, ducked his head under the 37 1/2-inch-high horizontal pole and skidded into West Berlin. Konrad later returned the car to the rental agency and was incredulous when he learned it was the same vehicle Heinz Meixner had used. Several weeks later Konrad and Werner were married.

The trick worked twice, but no more. To prevent a third Sprite escape, the East Germans embedded steel bars in the concrete beneath the barrier.

Its from the Chicago Tribune, note that they say the Isetta is Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

This lad who lives near me in Firhouse is a big Porsche head!:

ABCD0016-2.jpg

ABCD0015-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Its from the Chicago Tribune, note that they say the Isetta is Italian.

It is, first made by ISO...
    The car’s origins were with the Italian firm of Iso SpA. In the early 1950s, the company was building refrigerators, motor scooters and small three-wheeled trucks. Iso's owner, Renzo Rivolta, decided he would like to build a small car for mass distribution.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

BMW bought it/licenced it off them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

peasant wrote: »
    It is, first made by ISO...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

BMW bought it/licenced it off them

Yeah, was about that I had seen BMW versions of them!

Ken Lawford had one recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Rome in June...
    IMAG0119.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted this really nice Bentley yesterday. Pic a bit crappy only had my phone on me.
    e3b9c698.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

mustang68 wrote: »

He's only codding himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

30072010008.jpg

lambo.jpg

Got this off the Motors forum, they're drooling over the Lambo and the Ferrari, but that looks like a Mercedes W100 in the background, which is far rarer and far more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

Ok, you win. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

lambo.jpg

Got this off the Motors forum, they're drooling over the Lambo and the Ferrari, but that looks like a Mercedes W100 in the background, which is far rarer and far more interesting.

Well it is Monaco, almost everything there is out of this world, I saw that Merc around town last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I saw this opel kadett gsi today in a supermarket.Going by the number it is pre 1987 (vwi-...).It was a boy racer car of its day.The funny thing was a mature gentleman got out of it.I cant see him doing hanbrake turns or being reckless on the road:D.

opelastra1.jpg

Sorry that pic is pants,( mobile phone I am afraid)

Similar to this one, only 2 door.

opelkadettgsio.jpg

Thayt would be an 8V GTE i guess, as the 16V didnt come out untill later. Quite an unusual car in pre 87 (Waterford)reg.
    Should have the funky(read horribly dated now) '80s style LCD clocks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....spotted for sale at side of road near Oughterard last Monday...had a look inside, looks very clean & std. Cloth seats (!) , auto,

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Here's one that was snapped by KTRIC on our recent trip to Germany last weekend. It was being towed by a car transporter truck along the autobahn. :)

23072010014.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Taken in Austria about 2 weeks ago ....

( Mods if I've made a balls of uploading them feel free to edit the lot , thanks )

and more....

Sorry about the quality

The second last picture was on the Autobahn just as we crossed over into Germany and we were passed by some exoctica. The last picture was taken outside of the hotel I was stying in in Saarbrucken, the Renault F1 team just happened to be there aswell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Came across a wonderful classic car showrooms in La Rochefoucauld (near Angouleme) in France as I was staying in a village about 15 kms away a couple of weeks back (established in 1946 I think)

Apologies for the quality of some of the photos but the lighting was patchy to say the least, and the cars were parked at all sorts of angles which means I couldn't necessarily get the shot angle I wanted on some of the photos.

The description is as per the info. card inside each vehicle with the price where displayed. I'll put them up in batches as there are about 50 photos in total.

Palais de l'Automobiles, La Rochefoucauld
    DSC_0695.jpg

1951 Buick Roadmaster Convertible (€87,700)
    DSC_0707-1.jpg
    DSC_0706-1.jpg

1956 Cadillac (Serie 62) (€35,600)
    DSC_0701.jpg
    DSC_0702.jpg

Mercedes 280SE Coupe 3.5L "Paul Bracq" (€37,800)
    DSC_0698.jpg
    DSC_0699.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement