Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody buy the Aldi Lappi

Options
  • 12-05-2005 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Because i did. Not too shabby neither. Its a good bit lighter then i guestimated, which is a good thing.

Has anyone tried it out with some hadcore gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep - it plays Half-Life 2/CS Source in the screen's native resolution (1280x800) beautifully. I get 60-90 fps. nvidia driver settings are all at their defaults.

Also, the inclusion of a laptop bag was a bonus - there was no mention of it on the Aldi site, I am pleasantly surprised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

ALDI is great......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i trust them for cheap beer but id be a little wary of buying a laptop off them but them specs are impressive for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I bought one and i'm very happy with it. It looks a lot less chunky in real life and feel lighter than some of the other heavyweights. Nice big screen, have yet to test out any games. I have a feeling there cud be something wrong with the cd drive though. World of warcraft is taking ages to install on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just home from Cork with mine and about to test it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

anyone know how to use the remote?

Anyone know how to use everything lol

Haven't tried the remote yet, but I did mess around with the TV card. Don't think I'll be carrying that around with me - I'll keep it at home. The reception on the aerial is brutal anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Just ran it through Aquamark 'as is'. Scored 40,444
    GFX 5,163
    Cpu 9,328

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

how is the build quality?
    is it a cystal brite screen?
    ta

• Advertisement

Everything is solid and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

I bought it and am also very happy with it. I like the TV card, I know the reception from the arial is not great , but its perfectly fine for watching a bit of TV while waiting for your plane or train.

Has anyone noticed the scrren is lovely and bright when the mains is connected , but goes quite dull when using the batteries. Is this normal ?

I tried the demo of UT2004 on it and it looks acceptable. I have a 256 ATI in my desktop for gaming so I've been a bit spoiled by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Wireless network in my hoyse or office is not being seen by my aldi "supersonic"

Anyone any ideas??

Right click the white shell shaped icon in your system tray and set it to Wireless on rather than off

Will try that ... Thanks a million ( or thanks for nuthin if it doesn't work !!! )

Will let u know later

Cheers

Lovely ... thanks johnny

Johnniekipper: It dims to screen to reduce the power drawn from the battery. You can control the brightness using fn+F4 and F5

Istep - also check the wireless button beside the power button on the laptop - you should have a green light blinking there from time to time if its turned on.

Anyone know what settings will get u the full 4hours?

Stephen wrote:
    Johnniekipper: It dims to screen to reduce the power drawn from the battery. You can control the brightness using fn+F4 and F5

Istep - also check the wireless button beside the power button on the laptop - you should have a green light blinking there from time to time if its turned on.

Thanks Stephen. How come theres no bloody decent documentation with this thing !

Istep, Steven is right , the button beside the power button turns the wireless on and off. A red x will be on the shell in the system tray when off.

Yeah ... thanks Steven for that had figured out the hardware button beside the power button and everything is sweet .... man the spec is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Ah crap. Was playing around with the latop and the cd drive wont open! :mad:

I can hear the motor running and all relevant LEDs flash but nothing. Ejecting manually or from windows dosen't help.

There isn't a laptop safegaurd thing I'm not aware of is there? Please?

Well that was a crap trip to Aldi. My Wireless router is a non-starter also (other people have found this too).

At least the weather has picked up recently

cosgrove80 wrote:

I can hear the motor running and all relevant LEDs flash but nothing. Ejecting manually or from windows dosen't help.

There isn't a laptop safegaurd thing I'm not aware of is there? Please?

Well that was a crap trip to Aldi. My Wireless router is a non-starter also (other people have found this too).

At least the weather has picked up recently

You do know you have to insert CDs like floppys...right?

yeah like a car stereo pmsl

and the router i cant figure out

cosgrove80 wrote:

tee hee hee.

Ooh, I never realised that the DVD drive is in fact a DVD-RAM. 'Course, I've never actually seen DVD-RAM media in shops so I'll be sticking with +/-R for now :)

Btw, if anyone is having problems using the USB bluetooth device provided with the laptop, you might have to go into device manager and change the driver used from the "bluetonium" one that it seems to pick up by default to the broadcom one.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

DingChavez wrote:
    You do know you have to insert CDs like floppys...right?

:o:o:o

Yes. Yes I do. Now.

In my defence I did have the lights off in the room.

This is very embarrasing. I can't even delete my post because I've been quoted.

Thank you. I now off to learn about this interweb that all the kids are talking about these days.

cosgrove i fell for that twice but soon figured out what was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Anyone got a pic and a spec on the laptop ??

here's a crappy camera phone pic: http://feckoff.net/wp-content/photos/Picture_4_.jpg

Spec:
    Pentium-M (centrino) 1.73GHz
    1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
    128MB nVidia GeForce Go 6600 (nice) with tv out
    100gb seagate IDE hard disk
    15.4" WXGA screen
    DVD-RAM/+/-R/RW drive (slot loading)
    TV card
    USB bluetooth dongle
    4 USB 2.0 ports
    1 firewire
    5 in 1 card reader
    802.11 a/b/g wifi
    gigabit ethernet
    56k modem

They also throw in a laptop bag, which is nice.

No floppy drive, but if that still bothers you, you're stuck in the past :)

Oh, and they also throw in a decent software bundle: Windows XP home SP2, MS Works (including Word from office XP), MS Autoroute, MS money, MS Encarta 2005 and some version of MS flight simulator which I haven't bothered looking at. There's also some crappy ms photo retouching software which I promptly dumped and replaced with the GIMP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

hi Ive used one of these machiens and I have to admit for the money it cant be beaten.

I was concerned a little about the warranty. Always try stick to the "ensure there is a good warranty with a laptop" motto.

What sort of warranty is with them?

Advertisement