Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Weird to see places so quiet, that are usually so crowded.

Saw Trafalgar Sq on BBC the other day, and its the same.

Stay safe everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Sad to see everything so quiet in Ballyb

https://youtu.be/eIErjQdqrGo

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

Hi so I’m cancelling our planned trip to a holiday park in Spain this weekend and would like to book a post lockdown 2 weeks in a holiday home in ballybunion at the end of July for a family of 5 (hoping the pubs are open a week or 2 early) Having a hard time getting anywhere on the internet though - can anyone help me out? Or is everything totally booked out now with staycationing families? Thanks a mill in advance

sapper wrote: »
    Hi so I’m cancelling our planned trip to a holiday park in Spain this weekend and would like to book a post lockdown 2 weeks in a holiday home in ballybunion at the end of July for a family of 5 (hoping the pubs are open a week or 2 early) Having a hard time getting anywhere on the internet though - can anyone help me out? Or is everything totally booked out now with staycationing families? Thanks a mill in advance

Don't think they are booked out, sapper. Just all closed. All mobile home parks are currently closed. They didn't open at all tjis year. I'd say is a gamble if any lodging will be open in July. And then it might be restricted. I know locals were not happy with day trippers last month. But Ballyb loves tourists & holiday makers, so restrictions won't last forever. Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket... I'd say ask here again in few weeks / month...

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

The Virgin Rock and the Nun's Strand in Golden Hour lighting. 🤗

• Advertisement

A virtual walk to Croke Park is underway today, all day, in aid of Pieata House .

Pick a time slot and walk a 5k route around Ballyb.

I did a 5am walk. It was quiet! Nice to go around town as dawn was breaking. Luck with the wather too!

Good luck to everyone doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Some suggestion today that Bank Of Ireland branch won't be reopening and that BOI will use this opportunity close down Killorglin and a few others in the county also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Radio5 wrote: »
    Some suggestion today that Bank Of Ireland branch won't be reopening and that BOI will use this opportunity close down Killorglin and a few others in the county also.

They've been very successful at socially distancing their customers for years, and have obviously decided that the virus is as good excuse as any to finish the job, and get rid of even more human contact.

Radio5 wrote: »

Yup. I heard that too. BOI ballybunion has been closed for some time dure to premises (in Golf Hotel) being unsafe. Cant see them kitting out new premises just to open for 3 half days a week!

On a good news front - the dolphins are back! Spotted a pod of about 6 last Sat, feeding off Mens Beach

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They've been very successful at socially distancing their customers for years, and have obviously decided that the virus is as good excuse as any to finish the job, and get rid of even more human contact.

I know it might not be the right time / place to mention it, but check into the online offerings from Revolut or N21 , use very small amounts if unsure - these options are fast becoming the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

user52873 wrote: »
    I know it might not be the right time / place to mention it, but check into the online offerings from Revolut or N21 , use very small amounts if unsure - these options are fast becoming the norm.

Do revolut or N21 have any physical presence in ireland ? Employ staff in this country ? Will our lives be all overseas , China , Amazon , Lidl , ikea , etc etc

I’d prefer to go to a bank that has some humans in it and employs a few people locally or the credit union .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Do revolut or N21 have any physical presence in ireland ? Employ staff in this country ? Will our lives be all overseas , China , Amazon , Lidl , ikea , etc etc

I’d prefer to go to a bank that has some humans in it and employs a few people locally or the credit union .

Then the credit union is your only man!

user52873 wrote: »

I assume you mean N26 :P

I'd rather let Irish concerns handle my stash, they need all the help they can get. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hey folks, walking the beach lately and noticing a lot of these creatures (see photo) on the beach and just wondering could anyone tell me what they are?

Took a picture of them
    https://imgur.com/eSRHiBK

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭bkeane

Yakult wrote: »
    Hey folks, walking the beach lately and noticing a lot of these creatures (see photo) on the beach and just wondering could anyone tell me what they are?

Took a picture of them
    https://imgur.com/eSRHiBK

it's a goose head barnacle. Asked life guard last week.

bkeane wrote: »
    it's a goose head barnacle. Asked life guard last week.

Goose head doesn't show up on Google, but Gooseneck does. Goose head must be the Kerry name for them.:pac:

The new public toilets by the Castle Green (by the 3 shops) are open! They look smashing!

Pic to follow if I can...

Ballyb is hopping at the moment. Its like Covid never happened. I heard that caravan parks might extended season to compensate for late start. Watch this space.

I thought these drawings were done with software. I didn't know they were real. What kind of machine does these? How much does it cost?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEu1MaCh-_3/

ohshbg.png

I thought these drawings were done with software. I didn't know they were real. What kind of machine does these? How much does it cost?

They are done with garden rakes usually. Maybe a hoe for fine detail. He is a very talented fella!

I will see if I can dig out a video. There was a beach art demo last year. Might be on FB or YouTube.

• Advertisement

Ballybunion Sea Rescue (a service & charity close to my heart) is doing a virtual Christmas Plunge this year. There will not be the big crowds on the morning of the 25th, instead they are asking that their supporters take a swim anytime / anyplace, take a photo, posted on their Facebook page and give some money to their go-fund-me page

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ballybunion-rescue-christmas-plunge

Its been a weird & eventful year, but I would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas and better New Year to come.

New years resolutions....
    I will be more active here, and figure out how to post pics from my phone.

:-)

Thread statistics for 2020

17306 views for the year
    47 views per day

Pretty much the same as last year
    16627 views for 2019
    46 views per day

They are done with garden rakes usually. Maybe a hoe for fine detail. He is a very talented fella!

I will see if I can dig out a video. There was a beach art demo last year. Might be on FB or YouTube.

My apologies for not responding sooner, Rider.

Yeah, you can see some of them are done by amateurs. But the talented fella is truly impressive. I was convinced someone was using software on jpegs and pngs.

Its been a weird & eventful year, but I would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas and better New Year to come.

New years resolutions....
    I will be more active here, and figure out how to post pics from my phone.

:-)

An excellent resolution! Maybe I'll get over there myself sometime this year. If I do, I'll try to bring a drone with me and take videos of every square inch of the village and dole them out during the year for people far from The Kingdom.

(Budget drones are getting surprisingly inexpensive)

Here's a particularly good video I saw the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Summerfeeling

Hi, I’m desperately looking to buy a caravan on site in any of the parks in Ballybunion. Does anyone know of anything out there?

• Advertisement

How to climb down to the Nun's Strand.

:confused:

"Climb" down? Do you climb down?

Walk down?

How to get down to the Nun's Strand. :D

Advertisement