Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Hello CHROISA. On behalf of SNOWSCORPION ( who started this Ballybunion Forum), I welcome you.
    chroisa wrote:
    Montreal?
    One of us who was born in Ballybunion and is here in the Ballybunion Forum now lives in Montreal. I am sure they remember these sand dunes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

and some of us are living in Ballybunion!

If anyone has any requests for pics from Ballybunion, or info about town (or people?) post the request here, or pm me if its a request you dont want to make publicly, and I will do my best to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hi all - been a while for me too - mainly on the pets and classic car forums. :o

Glad to see you are all well and still posting. :eek:

Since I posted last I have got two dobermans and found a stray collie dog. They love the beach for walks so I must take them to BB one of these days and will post pics - if they can stay still for 10 seconds.:rolleyes:

Hi all - been a while for me too - mainly on the pets and classic car forums. :o

Glad to see you are all well and still posting. :eek:

Since I posted last I have got two dobermans and found a stray collie dog. They love the beach for walks so I must take them to BB one of these days and will post pics - if they can stay still for 10 seconds.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear all is well. Still in Tralee ? SNOWSCORPION has been awol for a long while, hope he is ok. Have you taken the dogs to Barrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

SNOWSCORPION has been awol for a long while, hope he is ok.

Did someone mention my name?

smileybtg.gif

Hey! Who moved my thread?!?

So, what did I miss? Wow! 41 pages! You guys have been busy.

First things first, thank you Sandhill for keeping the thread going while I was awol - although technically, since it's my thread I'm not sure I need to get official leave before so irresponsibly wandering away from my duties here.

Where was I, you ask? Well that's a long story. It begins almost a year ago when I made the acquaintance of a world-famous actress/scientist/spy/breeder of giant octopuses in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada (as is often the case in tales of international intrigue and derring-do) and eventually ended up with me teaming up with a shadow division of black ops agents from Interpol (an Interpol within Interpol, as it were.) To hear more details you need a security clearance of at least ... well, who are we kidding? None of you guys have a security clearance that high. Let's just say you guys won't have to worry about shape-shifting time travelers from the fourth spatio-temporal continuum any time soon! (You're welcome.)

The point is I'm back. I'll stop for a moment until the cheering dies down.

And I'm back with big news. Are you ready for it?

This coming Sunday - July 8th - snow scorpion will be walking the streets of ...

...wait for it ...

Ballybunion, County Kerry! c045.gif

And I'll be bringing one of these things with me:
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-PSV-352-Minute-Point-Camcorder/dp/B000JCY26M/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4909870-5083342?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183764765&sr=8-2

So, if the thing works I'll be bringing back moving pictures.

Once again, Sandhill, thank you for keeping the thread alive.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have many pages of thread to read to find out what I missed.

SNOWSCORPION is back and all is well with the Forum.

There is Doon on the horizon !

Before you walk down from here to the Strand you can grab a bag of seaweed and someperiwinkles !

4472731916018e169d1qa6.jpg

Don't be camera shy.
    cameramanob9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Glad to hear all is well. Still in Tralee ? SNOWSCORPION has been awol for a long while, hope he is ok. Have you taken the dogs to Barrow ?

Yes - Barrow is one of their favourites. OFF to BB with them now - will post some pics. ;)

cd561bcs0.jpg

cd561bcs0.jpg

I just saw that pic at Shannon this morning! I held it in my grubby little hands. I was going to buy it until I saw they wanted 19 euros for it. :eek:

• Advertisement

I just saw that pic at Shannon this morning! I held it in my grubby little hands. I was going to buy it until I saw they wanted 19 euros for it. :eek:

Feck em !

My favorite Irish TV commercial is on the YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60t6a7_J_f0

:)

pasoa111nh9.jpg

Are there people ready to board, on the left ?

summertimeul8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Beezer19

Took me three days to read this thread and i was so looking forward to chatting on this thread.... but as i got to the last few pages it looks like it ran out of steam. Is it because everyone is out enjoying the weather?

Beezer19 wrote:
    Took me three days to read this thread and i was so looking forward to chatting on this thread.... but as i got to the last few pages it looks like it ran out of steam. Is it because everyone is out enjoying the weather?

Welcome to the thread Beezer.

You spent three days reading the thread? I'm impressed. What's you connection to the village?

Here's a little something you might like - a quick drive up the Doon Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwI9XtRcakA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

welcome Breezer19 !

it has gone a bit quiet here in the last few months, but there are still some of us here that check in often (but post less often)......
    now that there is a new face on the thread, maybe we can start telling all the old stories again? ha ha ha
    Or just chatting all over again.

If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know, esp if there is some local photos or info that you want, I will try get it.

Hello to BEEZER19 from SANDHILLROAD.
    I've been in Vermont where it is a tad cooler. I used to live in NJ( just across theG W Bridge). We need ALFASUDCRAZY :D back in Ballybunion to ticket those bast..ds that block theGlen Road lane going down to the beach.

Fury as beachgoers block rescue services

By Con Dennehy

Beachgoers are more concerned with soaking up the sun than making sure Kerry’s beaches are safe, according to members of the Rescue Services in Ballybunion, who this week warned that lives will be lost if illegal parking continues at the entrance to one of the county’s most popular seaside spots.

The threat was highlighted following two serious incidents on Monday in which cars parked illegally along the Glen Road blocked access to the headquarters of the Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue Service and Coast Guard Unit.
    Rescue service members had to abandon their cars half a mile from their base and race through the parked cars to respond to a 999 call to rescue swimmers in difficulty on Beale Strand.
    Later the same afternoon, an ambulance responding to an emergency call was unable to reach the beach, as cars parked on both sides of the road made it impossible to reach the area.
    Emergency personnel were forced to transport a patient from the beach via a jeep, before transferring him to an ambulance for removal to hospital.
    Cars parked illegally on both sides of the road leading to the beach are blocking emergency access, according to emergency rescue personnel

SNOWSCORPION< how was the trip????

• Advertisement

SNOWSCORPION< how was the trip????

Brilliant! I'm already thinking about going back next year.

As soon as I put some captions on the photos and the videos I'll post them.

If we had come into town down the Doon Road I'm not sure I would have recognized the place. But we came in through Listowel and I recognized the bridge over the River Feale from a YouTube video. My brother wasn't sure where we were but I said, "I saw this bridge on YouTube just the other day. You can put the directions away. I know exactly where to go from here."

Sandhill, to thank you for keeping an eye on the thread while I was MIA, here's a video of your old stomping grounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjm7xCNQcs

:D

Sandhill, to thank you for keeping an eye on the thread while I was MIA, here's a video of your old stomping grounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjm7xCNQcs

:D

Thanks SNOWSCORPION for the video. Nothing much has changed ( except the house colours) and a new verandah now and then.. Hope AERO is watching.
    What time of day ? What day of the week was this taken ? I probably could do some detective work and find out when the bus leaves BB-- course if it was a tour bus that's another story..:)

I was in Ballyb for ... :confused: ... 6 days.

The video was taken a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning about 7:30 or 8:00.

Hello all. Good to see that the thread still has some life to it. In a nutshell, I was the yank that dated Chris Hellards daughter , Katie. I believe he still owns the Exchange, but may have signed it over to his son, Joe. I dated Katie for a little over two years and I retained a flat in Cork City but spent three summers in Bally B and most weekends during the winter. Katie inevitably broke my heart, and I had to leave BallyB because it suddenly became too small... if that makes any sense.

The Exchange? I remember seeing it as I walked by but I don't remember where.

:confused:

The right hand side of Main Street as you walk to the beach?

Another video of Ballybunion - this one driving in from Ahafona to the barrack.

SNOWSCORPION: another great video . I'm was waiting for you to say " Oh S##T !" when you realised that you were driving on the wrong side.

The Exchange is about 3 doors from the garda station on the same side as you walk towards the beach.( nearly directly across from Jimmy Lynches, where you bought those wellies so many years ago ).
    Did you have late night fish / sausage and chips at the chipper ?

SNOWSCORPION:
    Here are some places that you passed by that are " up for grabs". Prices ?

mp001057kz1.jpg

Sandhill Rd BB

mp001064yv9.jpg

Listowel.

mp001123bc2.jpg

Lisselton

mp001138ne2.jpg

Main St .BB

SNOWSCORPION: you would have passed this on the way to the beach on Main St ( left side ). It is AERO's family home.

jj20o27carrolqc7jz8.jpg

• Advertisement

You are correct in saying that the Exchange Inn is across from where you could buy some wellies. Next to Bubbles restaurant. It was once one of the best pubs in Kerry because of its unwillingness to change with the times. In fact up until about 2001, every transaction went through an old cash register with crank. Chris Hellard was getting pressure from the kids and he finally gave in and added an addition at the rear of the pub...sadly this took much of the original charm from the place. I suspect there are probably flat screen tv for the footy now. Shame.

I would love some photos of the old place if someone had the chance.

Advertisement