Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker tournament in Drogheda

Options
  • 10-05-2005 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

I am running a €50 rebuy tournament at the Europa Hotel just the Dublin side of Drogheda on Thursday May 19th.

It mostly complies with the IPPT standards Tom posted.

Entry fee €50
    Rebuys for first hour €50
    Top up €50

Starting chips 1500
    Rebuy chips 1500
    Top up chips 2500
    Limited to 2 rebuys and a top up or 3 rebuys. If 3 rebuys 3rd one is 2500.

€5000 GTD but NOT capped prizepool.
    12.5% of pool is allocated to cover costs.
    Maximum 160 entrants.
    Self deal until money.

Payout : <100 players 1 table >100 players 2 tables

Promoted by The Green Joker Poker Club
    Tournament Director - Me
    STT's of €50 & €100 will be available and dealt. 10% for admin.
    STRICTLY NO CASH GAMES.
    All players must join Green Joker Poker Club. membership is free.

Registration 7.30, Tournament will start no later than 9pm. You will be able to join during the rebuy period.

Blind structure:

25/50
    50/100
    75/150
    100/200

Break 15 mins for top ups.

150/300
    200/400
    300/600
    500/1000

800/1500
    1000/2000
    1500/3000
    2000/4000
    3000/6000
    5000/10000
    10000/20000
    20000/40000

The first 4 levels are 15 minutes followed by 20 min levels. It does get a bit steep towards the end but have a set finish time. People can always do a deal if necessary plus players are pretty loose up here so there will be plenty of chips out there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭DocO

is there much poker played in Louth? and is that where you are based? im from north louth myself and have never seen or heard of any events at all, think its a massive niche market now myself!
    fancy setting one up in Dundalk? and is there already a club in Dundalk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Loads of poker mostly played in pubs. There is a tourney run at castlebellingham but they are skimming about 70% off the prize pool! Once we have this one running regularly we will be looking for more venues, dundalk is an option. Meanwhile come down and give it a lash.

Plus all you north Dubs - it is only 20 mins from the airport. Time for you to get some fresh country air!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Shortstack wrote:
    Time for you to get some fresh country air!

AKA, manure.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

ok shortstack, sounds good, I'll be there. PM me if there's anything Ican do to help. D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'll go if someone will ferry me. :)

hold on, i'm not going if the ocallagh bros are going!
    oh all right.
    Dappergent if I'm going back to Dublin on the night I'll give u a lift back.
    i may be very late leaving though!
    possibly 10.30-10.45pm

Thanks for the support guys! If there are enough of you coming up I may be able to arrange a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Will it be magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I'm seriously tempted to go. If I do I'll have room for 3 (or 4 little ones). Mind you the bus option sounds good as we can have a few beers. Plus theres a good chance my car will explode somewhere on the M1

As Niall Tobin said "Does she take oil ?"
    "She would if she got it".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Shortstack wrote:
    Plus all you north Dubs - it is only 20 mins from the airport. Time for you to get some fresh country air!

If I am free that night I will play...I have a few very fond memory's of the Europa Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what time this tournie will be finished at. Absurdly enough I am thinking I would not mind playing in this, even though I cannot persude myself to head into the Fitz of a weeknight, but may head up for this as it is a once off.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Shortstack im just wondering where u generally play live?? i live in gormanston and would love to get into live poker??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

If I'm driving up I should have room for 2 so I'll keep you updated!

padser wrote:
    Shortstack im just wondering where u generally play live?? i live in gormanston and would love to get into live poker??

Generally I take the trek into Dublin to play live but if this tournament is a success then we will be running as often as demand dictates which could be once a week/fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

K well im still in middle of exams on the 19th so probably wouldnt make but ill certainly make the ones after that (provided they r no further north then Drogheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TimFoil

good job short, sounds like good comp. If im going, Ill have room for 3 more

Shortstack wrote:
    Generally I take the trek into Dublin to play live but if this tournament is a success then we will be running as often as demand dictates which could be once a week/fortnight.

I hope to support this one and wish u well Mike but I don't think a fifty euro rebuy could be put on even once a fortnight. Once a month max i suspect. We're talking about 150 euro. However I may be wrong (i am 84% of the time).

Interesting to see what Louth characters turn up. Say no more. I'm from Louth meself.

BTW, I'm a bit concerned about the tables dealing for themselves. To tell you the truth, and all kidding aside, I'm very concerned about it. It will definitely lead to a few rulings required, especially with the kind of money involved. Any thoughts on this one?
    Cheers man, D.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sounds like fun. I hope to be there!! (offers of lifts gratefully received too!)

DeV.

I hope to support this one and wish u well Mike but I don't think a fifty euro rebuy could be put on even once a fortnight. Once a month max i suspect. We're talking about 150 euro. However I may be wrong (i am 84% of the time).

Interesting to see what Louth characters turn up. Say no more. I'm from Louth meself.

BTW, I'm a bit concerned about the tables dealing for themselves. To tell you the truth, and all kidding aside, I'm very concerned about it. It will definitely lead to a few rulings required, especially with the kind of money involved. Any thoughts on this one?
    Cheers man, D.

I think you will be surprised how many people will play regularly. There is not much opportunity to play a decent tournament in the area and they like their beer too much to travel to Dublin!

As far as the self dealing is concerned I am a little concerned myself but I want to see how it goes. It is very expensive to transport dealers up to here and we cannot run cash games to subsidise them. If numbers are good enough and if we can get a little sponsorship from an online site then we will consider having dealers provided for all tables. If it looks like we will be able to make a regular tournament here and maybe in some other towns outside Dublin then training local dealers is something we will be doing. I will be putting a sheet of common rulings etc on each table to help the inexperienced players.

On a side point, I am surprised the blind structure has not been criticised but then I am just back from the €20 game in the Fitz and my structure is like the WSOP compared to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Tipperary was self dealing, you had maybe 150 people who had never played holdem/live holdem before, it still went well other than certain rules were ignored, string bets etc but it went very smoothly, dont see any reason it cant work in drogheda

Self dealing is also common in places like the Gutshot where their 25 cash game is also self dealing and the last time I played the 100 FO in the Merrion that was also self dealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lenny_mc

played in a tourney in castlebellingham with self dealing, 16 tables, 9 per table, there were no problems. COuple of bum deals but that was it. The guys who ran it explained in great detail about burning cards, and emphasised that it may cause problems (such as a smack in the mouth :)) if cards were not burned. Id be pretty sure there would be some experience people at the tables that would help inexperienced players.

Im only 2 minutes from the europa and would be on for it.

There are lots of live games up in drogheda in some of the local pubs. Every night bar sunday afaik there are games played with buyins from 20 - 50 quid per game. no rebuys, no top ups. normally about 7 - 9 people. 80 20 split on the winnings.

so how do we join the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

When someone confirms they're going, I'd be interested in this if I can get a lift...

Lenny_mc wrote:
    played in a tourney in castlebellingham with self dealing, 16 tables, 9 per table, there were no problems. COuple of bum deals but that was it. The guys who ran it explained in great detail about burning cards, and emphasised that it may cause problems (such as a smack in the mouth :)) if cards were not burned. Id be pretty sure there would be some experience people at the tables that would help inexperienced players.

Im only 2 minutes from the europa and would be on for it.

There are lots of live games up in drogheda in some of the local pubs. Every night bar sunday afaik there are games played with buyins from 20 - 50 quid per game. no rebuys, no top ups. normally about 7 - 9 people. 80 20 split on the winnings.

so how do we join the club?

Memberships will be accepted on the night. Name Address Tel no. & Sig. Shouldn't take too long to sort out. Membership is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lenny_mc

are there a limited number of seats at the toruney? There are a lot of poker players up that way

The Max we can take is 160 for the first event. If you want to book a seat then you can let me know that you are definately coming in a PM and I will reserve you a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Might be able to go to this - if so, will have room for three more. However, probably won't be able / willing to hang around till late if I'm knocked out, so would return with whoever is ready to leave. Mike, any idea how long a drive it would be from Dublin city (Rathmines) up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Mike

Not sure yet. Working in Limerick till Thurs pm and may not get back in time so will have to see then.

Takes about 40 mins to get from Fitz to Europa Paul if thats any help.

Dave, don't worry mate, I know you will be ther if you can! You can enter any time before rebuys are over so if you think you will be a little late text me and I will save you a chipstack!

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote:
    Might be able to go to this - if so, will have room for three more. However, probably won't be able / willing to hang around till late if I'm knocked out, so would return with whoever is ready to leave. Mike, any idea how long a drive it would be from Dublin city (Rathmines) up?

It takes 20-30 mins to get from the airport to the Europa. Get off the M-50 south of Drogheda. There's a sign for toll booths. Take the turn off just after that sign.

However, depending on the traffic it can take 20-50 mins to get from Rathmines to the airport.

Cheers, d.

Advertisement