Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shield (S4)...

Options
  • 06-05-2005 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure when it's making a return to TV3 but they're about 8 eps into it in the US.
    Anyone having it "posted" over ? ¬¬
    Watched the first ep last night...as good as ever and potentially a lot better to come.
    Glenn Close as the new captain is a refreshing move....I hope they don't write Has'aveda [sp?] out, and that they follow him in the political stuff. Shane looked like he's up to more no-good than usual...definitely a major storyarc going on here. Apart from that it's business as usual
    Oh and the background tunes still kick ass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

My American cousins have been sending me the tapes every week ;)

Season 4 is as good as the previous seasons. Glenn Close is excellent as the captain. You have identified most of the plot lines for the season so I won't comment any further so as not to spoil anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yep carrier pidgeon for me :D

i thought this season was a bit slow to start off but it is darker and i can wait until (spoiler-dont read till youv seen past episode 7)
    vic finds out about dutch :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

EH....that doesn't happen in 7 or 8.... or does it. My brain is mush.

John

true

spoiler:
    im say i cant wait to see vic find out but i put the warning on as i didnt want to spoil anythign, porbably wont happen till the last few episodes probably throught the hidden camera in his car, should be fun

ps sorry for hurting your head

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have we seen three seasons on Irish TV already? I thought it was two.

Anyhoo, any broadcast dates for Channel 5? Circumstances prevent me from updating my Mac from OS9 to OSX, so I can't emm.... get in contact with my Yankee cousins. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well TV3 is definitely 3 seasons in...not so sure about Five (can't get it) but from what I recall they started showing it right after TV3 ran with season 1 here.
    With all the posting and mailing going on I'd imagine US TV execs are dying to sell off new seasons of stuff before the price drops because fans have already got em on hardd...er...tape...

Bastage...all 7 episodes have arrived...except ep2 which seems to have gotten mislaid...so I went ahead and watched ep3; to hell with continuity :D

yeah i had to use a few different breeds of carrier bird to get ep 2, damn pidgeons messing up all the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've seen up as far as episode 7 now, and it just keeps getting better. I was wondering what would happen when the strike force fell apart at the end of season 3 but this is far better. Can't wait to find out what happens
    when Vic finds out about his wife and Dutch. Oooh, that should be good. But back to the real stuff, what about Shane? Will Vic take him out I wonder?
    Only time will tell I guess, and only 5 more episodes left in this season too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've seen the eight aired US episode - thanks cousin! - and it's a very good season. Unlike other shows in their fourth season - 24, Alias, Smallville - this has not disappointed in any way. Episode 8, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat when
    they had the standoff between Shane and Vic - I really though Vic might pull the trigger!
    . Some damn fine acting and characters in this show. It's just a shame that there's no new episode this week due to filming problems in the US.

damn i didnt know there wouldnt be a (insert torrent cliche) this week, ah well guess i will have to wait till next week
    pity that we havent seen teavon(spelling?) back as i thought he was pretty cool & the fight between him and shane in season 3 was one of the most realistic fights ive ever seen on tv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ixoy wrote:
    Episode 8, in particular, had me on the edge of my seat when
    they had the standoff between Shane and Vic - I really though Vic might pull the trigger!
    . Some damn fine acting and characters in this show. It's just a shame that there's no new episode this week due to filming problems in the US.
    Just seen this last night too. Couldn't believe that Vic
    offered his own life to Shane then as if he wanted Shane to kill him. I guess he thinks that will solve the problems for everyone. Really though he was going to cap Shane too. I guess they'll team up again now to get Antwon.

Pity there's no new episode this week though, it's getting really good.

Ah well, I have just started watching The Wire (having seen ixoy's constant approval of the show all over boards I thought I'd check it out) season two on DVD. Just finished season one and it's a damn good show. I hope season three comes to DVD soon as I'll be finished with two in about a week and my cousin's have missed the tapes on the third.

Could The Wire be even better than The Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wertz wrote:
    Well TV3 is definitely 3 seasons in...not so sure about Five (can't get it) but from what I recall they started showing it right after TV3 ran with season 1 here. :D

Can't believe its been 3 series already!

Five were ahead of TV3 for Series 3 anyway — I think they finished showing Series 3, then TV3 started showing it, and then Five repeated it.

Eventually got ep2...all is right with the world again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jor el wrote:
    Ah well, I have just started watching The Wire (having seen ixoy's constant approval of the show all over boards I thought I'd check it out) season two on DVD. Just finished season one and it's a damn good show. I hope season three comes to DVD soon as I'll be finished with two in about a week and my cousin's have missed the tapes on the third.

Could The Wire be even better than The Shield?
    Glad you enjoyed it! I think it possibly is better than the Shield. It's certainly a more "realistic" show, and I think the writing is tighter on 'The Wire'. 'The Wire' doesn't need to flesh itself out with incidental story-of-the-week plots, instead constantly pushing the arc along. S2 is just as good as S1 and S3 is just as good as the previous two. 'The Shield' may have an edge in terms of characters but, for me, 'The Wire' wins out overall. Both still excellent and both have yet to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What's going on with TV3? They announce thats the last of the shield for a while, with one episode left in the season!!! WTF??

no idea

but anybody know when season 5 is starting in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

FYI - This site is the win for knowing when shows are on in the states.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

Shield is starting 10th Jan. Although unless you have a good Sat dish, I can't see how you'll see it.

John

see afore mentioned carrier pidgeon references :)

Lump wrote:
    Shield is starting 10th Jan. Although unless you have a good Sat dish, I can't see how you'll see it.

John

Me either ¬¬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have asked an american cousin to send me season 5, Forrest Whitaker is in it, and based on this first episode its going to be a fantasic season

I also emailed TV3 asking them nicely not to break season 5 like they did with season 4
    To quote the Herald AM, the shield is undoubtedly the best programme on TV3 so why do they drop it at will whenever some tacky soap special or celeb show happens to come along?

Season 4 has been chopped and changed and really does ruin the enjoyment of a good show. I appreciate that the minions flock to the likes of “I’m a celeb” and “Soap Star” and that as a commercial organisation you have to show programmes that generate the revenue that allow you to buy programmes such as The Shield, however for season 5 (if you plan to show it) you might kindly think of all us Shield fans and show it at a different time or day but in it’s entirety PLEASE!

Bet they ignore it though...

• Advertisement

That's assuming they can even understand it...
    The trouble with quality import shows like this is that the schedulers know that no matter how much you f*ck it around the air times, loyal fans will still lap it up when it eventually get's shown...with that in mind they can purposely put dross reality telly on at will and hold off on what they know is a sure thing (in terms of attracting advert revenue)

I didn't wait for UTV3 to spoil my enjoyment last year and won't be letting them this year either. US cousins ftw!
    [edit]BTW Ep1 really opened well...
    Whittaker is looking like he's going to be pretty badass

just watched season 5 episode 2 last night, really good

forrest whitaker doing some great acting & the story seems to be back on form

cant wait for next week as the trailer looks soooooo good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm about 2/3rd of the way through season 4 thanks to my American cousins:o
    I'm really enjoying it. This season seems to be as good as any of the others. The whole thing can be a bit formulaic but its so fast-moving that if you're not enjoying it right now, hold tight cos a completely different section will be on it a sec. Vic almost never fails to bring a smile to my face with his Bruce Willisisms.
    Glenn Close's acting is really excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Stupid Shield!!!! I never watched it on tv3, got into it when a mate had the dvds, so decided not to bother watching it when it was on tv, but not it turns out season 3 isn't going to get a region 2 release!

pisses me right off

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Cactus Col wrote:
    Stupid Shield!!!! I never watched it on tv3, got into it when a mate had the dvds, so decided not to bother watching it when it was on tv, but not it turns out season 3 isn't going to get a region 2 release!

pisses me right off

TV3 is repeating series 3 late night on Tuesdays... episode 2 next week.

I've started on Season 5. The first ep was a bit of a drag but ep 2 was cool. That guy Forrest Gump is some creep.
    Also he seems to have graduated from the William Shatner school of acting ie speak....real.....slow, thenspeeditup...for....no....apparentreason.
    I wish
    Glen Close was still in it. Her acting was a revelation.

i think forrest whitaker is fantastic in this, especially in some of the later episodes, although i do agree with your sopiler

He's a good actor, no doubt about it. What else has he been in?
    (My comment on William Shatner-style acting is actually a big compliment, coming from me :p )
    I'm just looking forward to Vic getting one over on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cactus Col wrote:
    turns out season 3 isn't going to get a region 2 release!

i have season 1 and 2 on dvd and both are widescreen. looking on the internet it seems for season 3 and 4 region 1 is 4:3 only, is that correct?

• Advertisement

He's a good actor, no doubt about it. What else has he been in?
    (My comment on William Shatner-style acting is actually a big compliment, coming from me :p )
    I'm just looking forward to Vic getting one over on him.
    platoon, ghost dog, panic room etc

Advertisement