Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic church bashing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Moss

I’m certain he’s highly respected in some quarters of the Montrose set, but he probably could not be called any more highly respected than archbishop Lefevre could - and probably for the same ideologically charged reasons.

There is a certain amount of bias in any source but the conditions that Fintan O'Toole wrote about are well documented. In one industrial school he found that Christian brothers had a competition to see who could rape one particular child more than one hundred times. That's why he referred to them as Bosnian rape camps.
    Why anyone would seek spiritual guidance from an institution complicit in these crimes is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Bri wrote:
    Thanks for that constructive input.
    your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Anyone else find it wonderfully ironic that someone using mrhanky as an avatar is lecturing us about the virtues of Christianity.

Nice to see another banning for that notorious internet weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My God.

I think the apocalypse is coming, because I agree with everything The Corinthian has said in this thread. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

My God.

I think the apocalypse is coming, because I agree with everything The Corinthian has said in this thread. :(
    i know, me too, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Moss wrote:
    There is a certain amount of bias in any source but the conditions that Fintan O'Toole wrote about are well documented.
    Oddly enough, that’s what they did to justify the invasion of Iraq - delivered a well documented but biased case.
    Why anyone would seek spiritual guidance from an institution complicit in these crimes is beyond me.
    I’m sure it is beyond you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Im confused, I don't feel liek arguing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Context is a wonderful thing, even more so when people chose to ignore it entirely.
    Oddly enough, that’s what they did to justify the invasion of Iraq - delivered a well documented but biased case.

actually it was falsified documentation, not just "biased" documentation. As well as obvious out right lies.
    I’m sure it is beyond you.

As it would be, beyond most reasonable and honest people. At least those with courage enough to be honest to themselves.

Memnoch wrote:
    Context is a wonderful thing, even more so when people chose to ignore it entirely.
    As you are. The strength of the arguments for the war in Iraq was principally based upon a biased presentation of evidence rather than presentation of falsified evidence.
    actually it was falsified documentation, not just "biased" documentation. As well as obvious out right lies.
    Some of it was, but in so far as the evidence presented tended to omit any reservations against it. That’s called a bias.
    As it would be, beyond most reasonable and honest people. At least those with courage enough to be honest to themselves.
    And if not, no doubt you must be a homophobe, misogynist, racist or otherwise. TBH, I see little difference between your faith in your position and the faith of a zealot has for his religion. And I doubt either one of you will waver.

And if not, no doubt you must be a homophobe, misogynist, racist or otherwise. TBH, I see little difference between your faith in your position and the faith of a zealot has for his religion. And I doubt either one of you will waver.

I'm not gonna argue the iraq war thing again, did that too many times already so i'll leave the last word on that issue to you.

what exactly is my position? Since you seem to be so clear on it perhaps you could enlighten me on that :)

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote:
    I'm not gonna argue the iraq war thing again, did that too many times already so i'll leave the last word on that issue to you.
    That’s very kind of you - not very convincing, but very kind.
    what exactly is my position? Since you seem to be so clear on it perhaps you could enlighten me on that :)
    You’ve concurred with Moss’s assertion that the Roman Catholic Church should not be seen as a source for spiritual guidance. You’ve gone further when you did so and stated that this is a natural conclusion for anyone who is reasonable, courageous and honest.

Logically then someone who would disagree with this could not be reasonable, courageous and honest, thereby both dismissing and branding them essentially as heretics to the view originally exposed by Moss.

Of course, Moss could well be right about the Roman Catholic Church, and by extension could you. Or most likely he is, partially right. But that’s ultimately still debatable rather than a truth to be followed by those you consider to be reasonable, courageous and honest.

Suitably enlightened I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

The people of Ireland voted to turn the place into a kind of catholic Iran so they should share some responsibility for the church's shenanigans. Quite straightforward really.

That’s very kind of you - not very convincing, but very kind.
    Well you can claim it's not convincing when i start debating the iraq war in this thread with you :) Until then my actions speak for themselves.
    You’ve concurred with Moss’s assertion that the Roman Catholic Church should not be seen as a source for spiritual guidance. You’ve gone further when you did so and stated that this is a natural conclusion for anyone who is reasonable, courageous and honest.

I agree with Moss's assertion that it doesn't make sense to seek spiritual guidance from an organisation that choses to actively spread division and hatred in society. To actively campaign against necessary and basic things such as contraception, through their gross negligance cause the spread of disease epidemics. An organisation with the power to end all suffering, yet chosing only to prolong it, that it may retain it's grip by keeping people in poverty and ignorance.

Off course it requires one to be reasonable and honest to be able to realise how corrupt and "evil" the catholic chruch is, and that it is far more a political organisation than a spiritual one. I would say reason, courage and honesty are all required to be able to realise this. And I would say that those who can't see through this organisation's actions (and their history) are at the very least not honest with themselves about it.

As for heretical, no I don't agree with that, there isn't any dogma in my view, simply logic. If people chose not to accept it, that is their decision.

It's not a truth to be followed by those I consider to be reasonable, courageous and honest. Rather I would submit that the truth already exists, and is something i'd be willing to debate with anyone who claims contrary. For the indisputable facts are at the very least..

1) The church has continually and throghout history promoted dogma and antequated ideals to be forced upon society in general and everyone in particular that it is within their power to be forced upon. Eg. The concept of the sun being the center of the universe, to their actions during the potato famine in ireland, towards their recent attitudes towards homosexual.

2) The church has behaved in a highly irresponsable manner in their attitude with regard to contraception use to the point of spreading information that actively discourages people from using them, in pursuit of some failed ideal of monogamy that never has and never will exist in the world at large. (their own members being a shining example)

3) The church tried to cover up and protect paedophile priests that committed grave harm upon those that were entrusted into it's care, and on those who gave their trust to it. Now one of the people who tried to dismiss the scandal as a media conspiracy is the leader of this organisation?

4) The church has the financial ability to end to a great extent the suffering in Africa and the third world, or at least to ease it substantially. I'm not saying other organisations don't have this ability. But other organisations don't claim to be the agents of god on earth and benevolent towards all humanity.

I fail to see how any reasonable, honest and courageous person could seek spiritual guidance from such an organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Redleslie2 wrote:
    The people of Ireland voted to turn the place into a kind of catholic Iran so they should share some responsibility for the church's shenanigans. Quite straightforward really.

Could'nt agree more. The church was state sanctioned since day one.

Who was responsible for that?

Memnoch wrote:
    Well you can claim it's not convincing when i start debating the iraq war in this thread with you :) Until then my actions speak for themselves.
    What actions? I said something, you disagreed, I rebutted your argument and now you’re saying “well I don’t need to defend what I’m saying because it’s already been proved” (under the pretext that you were giving me the last word :D ).

No doubt you’ve debated this in the past ad nausium, but I’m hardly going to take your word that you proved anything or that your actions amounted to much at all. So no, not very convincing.
    I agree with Moss's assertion that it doesn't make sense to seek spiritual guidance from an organisation that choses to actively spread division and hatred in society. To actively campaign against necessary and basic things such as contraception, through their gross negligance cause the spread of disease epidemics. An organisation with the power to end all suffering, yet chosing only to prolong it, that it may retain it's grip by keeping people in poverty and ignorance.
    That’s your opinion. Many would agree with it. Many would not.
    And I would say that those who can't see through this organisation's actions (and their history) are at the very least not honest with themselves about it.

As for heretical, no I don't agree with that, there isn't any dogma in my view, simply logic. If people chose not to accept it, that is their decision.
    Actually you didn’t say that at all. There was a very blunt and logical implication that anyone who did not accept it was not reasonable, courageous and honest and should be dismissed as such. This is of course logic that you’re now downplaying.

This reminds me of an old religion teacher who discussed with us one afternoon how everyone “hears God’s calling” - to which I innocently asked “but if you don’t believe in God, how can you hear anything?” His reply was to fly off the handle and ask me what I was doing in a Catholic country if I didn’t believe in God - i.e. “If you don’t agree there must be something wrong with you”.

Of course the point of this story is not that there are religious nuts out there, but that you are using the same logic as he did. Ironic, innit?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

The thing that I hate most about the church. Regardless of opression etc is....

THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!!!!!!!!

Catholism morphed into a semi-christian, semi-pagan religion well over 1000 years ago.
    i.e Ever see the circle behind a cross that does be on tomb-stones.
    This was christianity conforming so that the celts could worship the cross (and the sun).

Why don't I go to church? Because chances are, if there is a hell, that fella at the alter is more likely to go there than me.

The bible is a big book, one could take specific scriptures over-emphasise things, under-emphasie other things and voila, you have yourself religios beleifs (Catholic beleifs)

The world is finally copping on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Of course the problem with this definition is that it rules out most people who claim to be liberals. The most bigoted people I’ve ever met think they’re liberals.

Well firstly, that is your opinion. Many would agree with it. Many would not.

I don't know "most people", I would assume from our "converstations" that in your experience it is more that most people who claim to be liberal disagree with you and as such must be wrong ;)

Secondly, what someone is and what someone claims to be are to totally different things.

The definition of a chicken is pretty straight forward. This definition is not muddled by the fact that Harry down the road who sleeps in a box claims to be a chicken.

Wicknight wrote:
    Well firstly, that is your opinion. Many would agree with it. Many would not.
    Fair enough.
    I don't know "most people", I would assume from our "converstations" that in your experience it is more that most people who claim to be liberal disagree with you and as such must be wrong ;)
    No, not really :p
    Secondly, what someone is and what someone claims to be are to totally different things.
    That was my point. Are you agreeing with me? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I'm thinking of taking up Islam next.

What actions? I said something, you disagreed, I rebutted your argument and now you’re saying “well I don’t need to defend what I’m saying because it’s already been proved” (under the pretext that you were giving me the last word :D ).

no i'm not saying that at all. I accept your rebuttal and leave it at that, leaving you with the last word in the arguement. And yes I've debated the iraq issue ad nausium and despite myself ended up making a post about it in another thread on the politics forum, but i've no intention of doing so in this thread. :)
    “If you don’t agree there must be something wrong with you”.

Of course the point of this story is not that there are religious nuts out there, but that you are using the same logic as he did. Ironic, innit?

Well since you pretty much ignored the 4 points I made regarding why I think that a person who was being reasonable and honest would not seek spiritual guidance from the catholic church, I see no point in repeating myself on that. To say that my arguement amounts to the above quote is intellectualy dishonesty at best.

But I do take your point, it's not easy to not become what you despise.

• Advertisement

To actively campaign against necessary and basic things such as contraception, through their gross negligance cause the spread of disease epidemics. An organisation with the power to end all suffering, yet chosing only to prolong it,
    That’s your opinion. Many would agree with it. Many would not.

That's not my opinion. It's a fact that the catholic church have campaigned against contraception, and that their actions have resulted in the increased rate of spread of STD's in Africa and the third world.

It is also a fact that the catholic church has the power to vastly reduce the suffering of third world countries due to their massive resources that they choose not to utilise.

My interpretation of the reason behind those actions is opinion, the actions themselves are not.

Memnoch wrote:
    To say that my arguement amounts to the above quote is intellectualy dishonesty at best.
    I wasn’t going to refer to the points you listed because I wasn’t trying to defend the Roman Catholic Church; I was highlighting your opinion of those who disagree with you. As such, I was sticking to the point I’d raised, so I wasn’t being intellectually dishonest.
    But I do take your point, it's not easy to not become what you despise.
    Fair enough. We all do it I suppose, however Political Correctness has made it easier, IMHO.
    That's not my opinion. It's a fact that the catholic church have campaigned against contraception, and that their actions have resulted in the increased rate of spread of STD's in Africa and the third world.
    I don’t know if that follows. Bare in mind, the Roman Catholic Church also promotes chastity and monogamy - so you are looking at one influence and ignoring the other.

Secondly, you would have to show that those countries that have a large catholic percentage of the population are also those with the highest HIV rates and that Roman Catholics are affected in greater numbers than those of other faiths.

And at the end of all this you still would only have statistics and not facts.
    It is also a fact that the catholic church has the power to vastly reduce the suffering of third world countries due to their massive resources that they choose not to utilise.
    I think there’s something in the Bible about it about there always being poor. Or maybe it was Jesus Christ Superstar, I’m not certain...

That was my point. Are you agreeing with me? :o

Unlikely :D

The point I am making is that, as it is bad for someone to claim to be liberial when they are clearly not, it is equally bad to attack "liberials" when you in fact are attacking the people who aren't liberial at all. Do you follow.

Just as someone claiming to be a liberal does not mean they are, someone attacking "liberals" when they actually mean the fake-liberals you talk about, is equally misleading.

I am not sure if I explained that right.

Wicknight wrote:
    The point I am making is that, as it is bad for someone to claim to be liberial when they are clearly not, it is equally bad to attack "liberials" when you in fact are attacking the people who aren't liberial at all. Do you follow.
    Not exactly as the point of what I’ve consistently being saying here is that such individuals are not liberals, but erroneously believe themselves to be so.

Of course, pseudo-liberals aside, none of this means that I am bound to agree with a true liberal in debate in the first place. After all, I never said I was one.

Not exactly as the point of what I’ve consistently being saying here is that such individuals are not liberals, but erroneously believe themselves to be so.

Like I said, because Bill believes he is a chicken doesn't mean he is one, and when one attacks what Bill says one should not claim, or believe, that one is attacking chickens ... as it were

If someone says "I'm a liberal and I believe that no one should be allowed vote until they have served in the army for 6 years" the response shouldn't be "those damn liberals!, claim they are for liberal freedoms and them come out for such a facist idea" because the guy obviously isn't a liberal in the first place.
    Of course, pseudo-liberals aside, none of this means that I am bound to agree with a true liberal in debate in the first place. After all, I never said I was one.

I wouldn't expect you to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

mrhankey88 wrote:
    Losing side? not really mate.. this counrty knows whats going on, and it will never allow liberals to destroy it. you can spout you anti-irish hate all you want but it makes no difference, you and your fellow traitors are a small minority :D

C'mon seriously are you taking the piss or are you really George Bush(who now it seems is Irish).

Wicknight wrote:
    Like I said, because Bill believes he is a chicken doesn't mean he is one, and when one attacks what Bill says one should not claim, or believe, that one is attacking chickens ... as it were

If someone says "I'm a liberal and I believe that no one should be allowed vote until they have served in the army for 6 years" the response shouldn't be "those damn liberals!, claim they are for liberal freedoms and them come out for such a facist idea" because the guy obviously isn't a liberal in the first place.
    I see your point. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Bucephalus

from someone who just posted an anti-jewish joke you have no right to be talking in any tone about supporting religions. you are a racist pig, simple as that.

He's an attention-seeking idiot. Ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

mrhankey88 wrote:
    . Most likely you hate the catholic church because it represents everything 'old ireland' and you want that destroyed. .
    I'm not Irish but I find this a very interesting discussion and I was wondering what exactly "old Ireland" means? Besides the Catholic church part of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

mrhankey88 wrote:
    You liberals on here make me sick. The good thing though is you lot are a small minority of 'people'. Most likely you hate the catholic church because it represents everything 'old ireland' and you want that destroyed. And people who want that are the enemy of this country and should be exhiled or shot.

I dislike the catholic church because it enourages the death of thousands in Africa by telling people that condoms are completely ineffective against AIDS, because it babbles about gay people (of which I am one) being evil, or "doing violence" to various things, and opposes human rights progress. I dislike it because it kept this country in the dark ages for decades, persistantly interfering in politics in defiance of its own rules; we only legalised condoms for general use in '92, for goodness sakes. I dislike the way it ws forced on me at school as a kid (I privately decided that the whole God thing was a polite fiction around first class, but then I was a sceptical little bastard ;) ). I dislike its arrogance, and I dislike the way that again and again it shows that it cares nothing for people, and everything for holding its power base. I dislike the way that people are still convinced that its the official religion of our secular state (hence the OP's thing).

I don't hate it. I think that most of the normal people in it are basically good people. With work, it could be on the same standard as most other organised religions.

Old Ireland was an abomination, where everyone was equal as long as they were a white catholic heterosexual legitimate male. I think more than a "small minority" prefer to be moving away from that "ideal".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement