Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

350 double chance (or was it the 25 rebuy sunday!)

Options
  • 30-04-2005 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

What a tourny - The double chance element took away from what I think could have been a great tourny. By the break we had chip leader with 50k! All in calls with A6/77 etc! Even with blinds at 50/100 it was going to cost you at least 1k to see the turn.
    I got moved to table 5 after the break. Some serious chip counts and I was sure I could turn my 6k into 12 soon enough.. I tried to take a gambler off a small pair pre-flop and my AK didnt flop giving my hard earned 6k
    to the pair of sevens.. I should had called a and moved in on the flop but lessons learnt and all that...
    An example of a typical hand tonight - After break - blinds 200/400 and a lady in early pos makes it 1200. Mike Lacey in late pos moves all in for 6k to attempt to take down a nice pot worth 2k or more Mike ain't a messer as wel all know - I had him on a semi steal - AK or JJ or something similar. While the lady counts her chips ready to call he shows me AA and I think nice one - wp Mike! Anyhow - she calls and shows K10!!! 10 on flop and K on river has him reaching for his jacket..

Bring back the freezeout!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Niall, you playin the city west 250 end of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Hey Fintan - I may do. Cork event was very enjoyable! I will more than likely be down to citywest for another pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Also a €400plus 40 freezeout in galway weekend of the 17/18 june, I know a crew from dublin are coming down. Let me know if your coming I'll get good rate on hotel accomodation for you.
    This is Connacht Challenge Cup with €50 k guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

So thats me out in my usual mid thirties spot. Good luck Big dragon. Blinds killing off the shortstacks one every hand.
    Winning till the river, son of a diddley.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

yeh i had a pretty terrible tournament. never really got any hands all night. Got up to 15,000 purely by stealing pots with all in raises. Then lost 8000 on this hand.

Im holding Ace 10
    raise to 1200

1 caller.

Flop comes 10 7 K rainbow

check
    check

Turn 10 7 K (10)

He bets 1000
    I call

river 10 7 K 10 (4)

I check
    he bets 2000
    I go all in
    He calls

I turn over trip 10s

He turns over.............KK for full house.

That was the ONLY decent hand I played all night. Got moved to big dragons table with 7000 and sat for over an hour without getting a hand. Decided that I was sick of playing and tired (and hungover) from Fridays nights college ball. Went all in on J 10 and got beaten by A Q. wasnt even annoyed, just wasnt in the mood for it tonight.

Probably should have sold my ticket....

Anyway just wondering how Big Dragon got on. And also how did my friend that was up to 50,000 at the break get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Home an hour or two now so cooling off, but I wanted to kill myself leaving the Fitz ... finished 13th after making as bad a mistake as I've made at the business end of any tourney for around 5 months ... cruising with 2 tables left, blinds 4k-8k and I've 75k which is about average, we're 7-handed and I raise to 22k with A10 in early position (OK, so that was my 1st mistake!). Andy Black in big blind is tourney chip leader with 250k and has been bullying table, e.g. his previous big blind he reraised all-in with 33 and knocked out a player when the 33 stood up against big cards. So he reraises me all-in ... and unfortunately I didn't even consider folding ... grievous loss of concentration ... in the moment, all I can think about is that he would make the same play with 55 (in which case I call for value) or KQ (in which case I'm ahead) ... so I call almost immediately ... and of course he has AK ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know that nick... "KPNuts".... is that Eamon?
    I wonder how BigD did in the end. Mike Lacey, BrendanB, Dave "Biteme", JP and I ended up in Flannerys and when I left them the hardcore were heading into some Leeson street fire-death-trap.

Who won in the end, anyone know?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

I played like an idiot.

Quite a different tournament from the 250, I think I'm with Niall on preferring a decent stacked FO. Went on tilt after losing a three way pot with AK vs AQ and JJ, when the jacks tripped (setted?) up on the end after an Ace high board. Then a pathetic play with 99 when I let a limper in after a short stack pushed cost another chunk of chips. And finally Kevin M. was reluctant to lay down two red aces when I went on the steal with threes. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played in this last night and got knocked out in 16th after my only bad play all night, what a time to make the biggest and only mistake of the tournament. I was so annoyed with myself afterwards, especially after avoiding the minefield of terrible plays all night.
    I'm in the SB and pick up KK with blinds at 2k/4k. There's one early position limper and I decide I'm not going to slowplay this and get outdrawn by a random A so decide to raise it to 25k out of my stack of about 62k. BB folds and early position limper goes all in for about 73k. After some thought put him on AA and knew he had AA and still called for some stupid reason. Everything told me to fold and yet the chips went in the pot. Was so annoyed with myself for not folding but such is poker, sometimes we do the stupidest things at the worst possible times.
    Regarding some of the plays I saw thoughout the night, you would swear it was a 25 euro re-buy the way some people were playing. People were calling big raises from good solid players with mediocre cards and getting ridiculous outdraws. Lenny Leonard was subject to one such terrible play. Lenny, he did the same later in the tournament for alot more chips. I'll discribe the situation in case you come across him again and the extra information might be of benifit. With about 40 players left in total an early position player goes all-in for 5k, your nemisis quickly calls the 5k and a player right behind him re-raises to 20k out of a stack of about 35k. Amazingly the guy calls going all-in for a total of 19k and flips over A J suited clubs. The early position player shows A 8 and the re-raiser shows the kings. The re-raiser was a very good player and knew they both had an A but amazingly an A hits the flop and the terrible call by the AJ took the pot. The re-raiser was furious saying how lucky he was to catch one of the only two Aces left in the deck to which the guy says he wouldn't have called but that they were suited, amazing. Apparently he later knocked that re-raiser with the Kings out with a 3 outer on the river. I wasn't at the table so cannot comment but that was his style of play all night. What's even more disturbing was that he was still there when I was knocked out so who knows where he finished. Guess luck does play a major roll in tournament poker after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

I am collecting bad beats at the moment. End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

i failed to even pick up the bubble. Came 20th :(

Today's final table should be interesting I'd say.

ouch ouch ouch all round then. wonder if Andy Black will win it. He won't do a deal. Anyone from the Fitz wanna do n update on the final table?
    D.

Rang the Fitz. Harold, john o'callaghan, Dan?, Paul?, Andy Black, and a young fella from the North who I hope was the chap who as at my table. His girlfriend sat with him for hours. I doubled him up at least 3 times. Hope Harold wins personally. I like his watches.

DeVore wrote:
    I know that nick... "KPNuts".... is that Eamon?
    I wonder how BigD did in the end. Mike Lacey, BrendanB, Dave "Biteme", JP and I ended up in Flannerys and when I left them the hardcore were heading into some Leeson street fire-death-trap.

Who won in the end, anyone know?

DeV.
    kpnuts = Ken 'Superdonk' Powell

Nice work to make the money Ken, twould have been a shame to waste the old runner-runner straight on Kevin :)

Cheers Bren! GL 2nite if u're playing the rebuy :D

Don't think so, liver recovery time still needed. Boards game it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Hey Dr_Collossus, was that you to my left when I got knocked out? I meant to ask were you on boards, but I wasn't there long enough!

Seeing as everyone has a story, here's mine. Admittedly, mine isn't really a bad beat story, 'cos I probably should have gotten away from the hand, but here goes anyway:

First of all, there's an undoubted idiot at my table... henceforth he shall simply be known as Jackass. I was only at the table for eight or nine hands, but that was all it took to realise that he was one of the worst players I've ever seen. I have about 13K in chips, Jackass has about 30K,and the blinds are 300/600. In this hand, I find KK in MP. Jackass has limped in in every hand so far, and he does so again. I have a feeling he'll call any sort of decent raise, so I make it 5K, which he indeed calls. Flop comes QQ4, with two hearts, and Jackass bets about 10K, which is putting me all in. To be honest, the ol' spidey-sense tells me this time that he does have a queen, but I decide to call anyway in the vain hope that he's betting the flush draw or a weak pair. Of course he turns over QJ, and I don't catch either of the remaining kings.

So, a question for you guys: Was I right to call the bet on the flop?
    It's been driving me mad all day, 'cos I think I should have gotten away from the hand. At the same time, I only had 8K left at this stage, and winning that hand would have put me in good shape for the tournament.

Anyway, whatever about bad beats, bad calls, or anything else, it was great to finally meet a lot of you boards guys this weekend. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi Lenny, yes that was me to your left when you got knocked out.
    First of all you said you had about 13k when you bet the 5k leaving you with 8k. Had you that much? I thought at the time that the 5k bet was about half your stack but obviously I could be wrong. The only reason I say this is that it looked like you were pretty much pot committing yourself with the raise.
    Regarding your call on the flop I don't think you could have folded. Under normal playing conditions against good players the only hand you could realistically put him on that has you in big trouble was AA given his position. He could possibly have called your raise with A Q putting you on JJ with the big raise but that would be a dodgy call at the best of times as you could also have realistically raised that amount with AK, not to mention QQ, KK or AA. Either way if he was to call with A Q and hit the fantastic flop of QQ4 why would be bet out giving you the chance to get away from the hand? He could have called with AK suited hearts and bet out as a semi bluff hoping to push you off the hand as it would be tough to call a bet. When he bet out I put him on a smaller pocket pair to Qs and was trying to knock you of a possible big A or similar pocket pair. I really thought your Ks would be good and couldn't believe the hand he played and that he bet out after hiting his miracle flop. It's just one of those unfortunate situations faced in the tournament mine field. That guy was just amazing. He played like that all night making the worst imaginable plays and kept getting lucky, where's the justice I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

He does also play the cash game if anyone wants their money back, and he plays it the same way.

• Advertisement

Still fuelled by rage from my suicidal mistake in the fitz main event, i took out my revenge on the nice people of ladbrokes tonight and won a $20k-added $50-entry multi ... $17,975 for me :)

excellent win ken!! that is some record for you now - u must have some serious money floating around in poker accounts online now!

cheers Niall! it should cover my blackpool expenses (my bar bill anyway) ... I'm heading over on Wednesday ... is David still thinking of making his way there from Anfield?

Just about!
    I'd say David will head down for a game, think he's in flannerys at the moment with oscar and a few others so will get him to contact you!

you coming to vegas? There has been talk of a few heading over! Try my luck at some $100 tournys and a few satellites - sure you can easily afford the 10k now!

No way I'd pay in to the main event, but holiday very possibly... with a view to winning a live super satellite seat ... fuk, Flannerys sounds good!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I had a hand very similar to that recently. Worst player at the table goes all in out of position with QQ on the flop after I raised preflop. I was pretty sure he had a Q but called anyway finding it hard to believe that anyone could play that bad. He had QJo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Was knocked out on Saturday after a mere 3 hours (at least I got dinner out of the night) when my AK all-in (only had 8xBB) was called by QJ, he caught a Q. Still, those are the cards I had hoped to be called with, right? Same chap had taken most of my chips earlier with a very audacious bluff. I very much doubt he lasted till the money, but what do I know. Mike was on my table after the dinner break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

ionapaul wrote:
    Mike was on my table after the dinner break.

Not for long :mad:

I found another muppet who got lucky. :eek:

'If it wasn't for luck I would win every tournament' ;)

kpnuts wrote:
    Still fuelled by rage from my suicidal mistake in the fitz main event, i took out my revenge on the nice people of ladbrokes tonight and won a $20k-added $50-entry multi ... $17,975 for me :)

Just want to add my congrats Ken.
    Shoud cover ur rebuy costs from last Thursday ;)

cheers, d.

• Advertisement

Cheers Des, yes it just about covers my fitzwilliam festival expenses :D

Advertisement