Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA - is there any life in it at all??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

howard duncan is a good lecturer as well. no, i wouldn't consider applets programming, im just saying that we also covered them during our programming modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd have to say Computer Architecture has accounted for my favourite modules I've done in CA too. And most of the IS students I know willingly admit they haven't a clue how to program and that was the main reason for choosing IS. If you're into programming do SE, if not do IS, you get a year before you choose anyway. And don't think about what leads to what jobs in the future, its all fairly interchangeable once you've graduated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

steviec wrote:
    I'd have to say Computer Architecture has accounted for my favourite modules I've done in CA too. And most of the IS students I know willingly admit they haven't a clue how to program and that was the main reason for choosing IS. If you're into programming do SE, if not do IS, you get a year before you choose anyway. And don't think about what leads to what jobs in the future, its all fairly interchangeable once you've graduated.

Would ya stop!! I presume your in SE so look at it this year. I know theres alot of rubbish programmers in SE this year just like there is in IS. There is also very good programmers in both streams as well. What stream you do has no bearing on how good a programmer you are. If what you say is the case I presume all IS people couldn't do their 3rd year projects because they can't program. Your full of sh1te!!

Both streams do basically the same amount of programming bar the odd bit here and there. If you want to have limited options in that your pretty much gonna have to be a programmer then do SE. If you want to learn about business and management etc. as well as programming then do IS.

By the way I would love for all the IS people who "willingly admit they have't a clue how to program" to admit it here or you tell me who they are stevie coz I would love to know.

As for INTRA its the most boring thing ever.

And what is the deal with the DCU discussion forums being off limits for us intra people? Anybody still gonna post??

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

bragan wrote:
    I.S does cover more business than maths, but it also covers things like good program design, and taking users into consideration which S.E don't cover.

Funny, I seem to remember doing SSADM and UML with IS people. And at the time going "this is such a bullsh1t IS subject". When we all did programming in 1st year we were taught the ethics of good programming style, we worked out from there on how to keep them good, we didn't have to be constantly reminded. :P
    bragan wrote:
    Both streams are good. you choose depending on your strenghts. if you good at maths, do S.E. Both streams do equal amount of programming, and have three common modules every semester. Both streams do the more important modules, while the less important ones are given only to the relevant streams.

Nonsense. Both streams do NOT do equal amounts of programming. IS do Java, full stop. We do assembly for multiple architectures, giving us a FAR better understand of how a programming language actually works physically on a system and what to do and why to do it. We have gone ahead in Java, but not done GUI and applets. I mean you can learn how to make a GUI from a tutorial, not have to be hand-held through it. And applets? Lol you twat.

Also, and a big one here, C++. You cannot say that we do equal amounts of programming if you've not learned c++. Well, you can, but you'll come off looking like even more of a mumbaloid.

And as for Computer Architecture. Best module ever. This is a computing course and CompArch describes perfectly and purley how a computer works. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

You can argue about which part of CA is better and so on but to tell you the truth....... You graduate, you fall into your niche (which most likely will not ever make you revisit anything learned in CA), and you work through your career.

CA was good crack, but with regard to what you use after you leave i would say almost nothing. For example, we spent weeks, months even, doing a database project that i could do in 5 minutes now.
    Any language etc you learn in CA is barely 1% - yes ONE % of the skills you will need at work. These skills are gathered from working in a particular field not reading books and passing exams.

You graduate with a 1.1, you're still greener than grass and only find this out after a few years. Go to DCU, have the crack (there'll be nothing else like it ever again :) ), pass your exams and then let life start seriously when you graduate.

• Advertisement

I'd actually agree with that based on what I've done so far on INTRA. The database stuff is very true and there's feck all use of languages.

But that could clearly mean we're both in crap jobs :P

:)
    What i mean about languages and database stuff is that what you will be doing when working in it is far, far in advance of what you will know when you leave DCU.
    You could even end up working in completely different languages than you have ever used and then become expert in them.
    Basically what you get from CA is that after you graduate you have proved that your mind can work in the logical fashion needed for IT (the drop outs are usually the ones who's minds are not suited to computers. Some would say they are the lucky ones :) ).

Within 1 year in a full-time job you will have vastly more knowledge and know-how than you would have even with 8 years in CA.

My point is that as long as you graduate, you should not worry too much about whats on your course. You should enjoy the uni experience to the max.

We played doom at the back of the computer labs for 4 years :)
    Sad but true.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Stating the obvious to be honest. As much as people really don't want to admit it college is still "learning how to learn". It's giving you the basics you need to learn things for yourself.

How many people went off and learned how GUI programming works for their 3rd/4th year project? Quite a few one would think. Same goes for a different language. Yes you may fall into a niche but that's by choice and because there really is so much to learn about in so many of these niche areas. If you're not willing to learn things by yourself you really wont get anywhere. CA is very much not a waste of time though. Every tried to learn a new language? I know I have. Knowing java has helped me no end. There are things you know that carry over to most languages. Every language is different and it's important to realise that not every language does work like Java or should be written like it but the ground work is there.

As for Architecture I have to agree that it was great. Complicated as can be - I wouldn't call myself a strong assembly programmer - but very insightful. I'm very glad it's now core in 2nd year. I feel that people who didn't do it really missed out on a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

im sure you're ALL super duper programmers, congratulations.

group hug?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

CA is great. If your interested in the subjects involved its really good. as for havin a blast... get locked for the first 3 weeks and the rest just falls into place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Kingp35 wrote:
    Would ya stop!! I presume your in SE so look at it this year. I know theres alot of rubbish programmers in SE this year just like there is in IS. There is also very good programmers in both streams as well. What stream you do has no bearing on how good a programmer you are. If what you say is the case I presume all IS people couldn't do their 3rd year projects because they can't program. Your full of sh1te!!

Both streams do basically the same amount of programming bar the odd bit here and there. If you want to have limited options in that your pretty much gonna have to be a programmer then do SE. If you want to learn about business and management etc. as well as programming then do IS.

By the way I would love for all the IS people who "willingly admit they have't a clue how to program" to admit it here or you tell me who they are stevie coz I would love to know.

As for INTRA its the most boring thing ever.

And what is the deal with the DCU discussion forums being off limits for us intra people? Anybody still gonna post??

I do IS and I can't program. IS also do far less programing then SE, that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I did CA for six months. Didn't like it at all. Was going to leave in November but they talked me into staying until the January exams so that I could do those and go back if I wanted the next year.

Stayed until January, did the exams and left. Haven't regretted it since. Didn't like the course at all, it just wasn't for me.

The people in DCU were grand but I have to admit that there were a lot of people in the class that could have done with spending a little less time in the computer labs.

I'm doing Business and IT in Blanchardstown IT now and I far prefer it. Suppose it depends what you're into yourself as to whether you'll like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

With a course like CA you really have to know your computers inside out. I put it down on my CAO last year and if i had got 10 less points I would have being doing CA.... I'm so glad I didn't because I know a few people doing it in 1st year (they are computer experts) and they say its quite hardgoing. If computers is your passion and you are 100% certain about it then go for it but if you have any little doubts or if you are only thinking about it due to the relatively low points (300 I think last few years), I would advice you not to but its your decision in the end. FACT - Computers in any college has possibly has the biggest drop out rates of any course.

That is a load of misguided nonsense. Frist year is the biggest doss. Being an "expert" is in no way needed. And clearly these guys are nowhere near "experts" if they're finding it "hardgoing".

I know a lot of people who came in with barely _any_ computing experience at all, some of them just about knowing how to turn one on, click on their lovely eircom dialup and then check hotmail. They're now in 3rd/4th year and can competently program and understand and use databases etc.
    They didn't find first year "hardgoing" either, they just had to put a bit more work into it than the rest of us who knew a bit and sailed through it.

Drop out rate in CA from my year in 1st year was 33%.

My first day in college.

Where are the labs, we want to play some games.

Found the labs, but couldn't figure out how to turn the compter on :)

You dont need to know ANYTHING about computers for CA when you start. Thats why you do 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't think you need an inside knowledge of computers for CA but to be interested in the subjects would be a big factor. I wasn't interested in the modules at all. I went to lectures and all but it just wasn't my thing.

I think it is assumed by some lecturers that you have a knowledge of computers ie. Ray Walsh. Charlie Daly was great though, he made sure you were versed in every last detail. And I'll never forget the day he ripped up that phone book, if Eircom ever found out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Lemlin wrote:
    I think it is assumed by some lecturers that you have a knowledge of computers ie. Ray Walsh
    This is probably true enough, but on the other hand Ray is more than willing to answer any questions. He just can be kind of intimidating for a first year. If you're a complete novice, I think he expects you to learn quickly from Charlie et al, and then go back to the first couple of his lectures and do them again yourself. Which is fair enough tbh.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

cooker3 wrote:
    I do IS and I can't program. IS also do far less programing then SE, that is a fact.

how in the name of god did you get to third year then mate?? After 3 years of college you cant program?? My advice is to try something a little more to your brains standard. How bout a Mcdonalds worker or a road sweeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Kingp35 wrote:
    If what you say is the case I presume all IS people couldn't do their 3rd year projects because they can't program. Your full of sh1te!!

How much of the 3rd year project did you do?

The non-operational applet???
    While your S.E. partner designed the site, and got all the server side software developed, which was the only working code we had to demonstrate on the day??????

S.E does do more programming.
    Did you have to program in assembly language, MIPS assembly, C or C++ last year??? No you didn't.

I'm not sayng that all the SE lads are better than the IS at programming, but we definitely do more developement, whereas you go through more theoretical, and businessy subjects.

BizzyC wrote:
    How much of the 3rd year project did you do?

The non-operational applet???
    While your S.E. partner designed the site, and got all the server side software developed, which was the only working code we had to demonstrate on the day??????

S.E does do more programming.
    Did you have to program in assembly language, MIPS assembly, C or C++ last year??? No you didn't.

I'm not sayng that all the SE lads are better than the IS at programming, but we definitely do more developement, whereas you go through more theoretical, and businessy subjects.

Do I know you???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Dude,
    stop preaching about the glory of IS programming ability, when you yourself are in no position to claim to know as much about it as SE students.

You should be as honest as cooker3.

BizzyC wrote:
    Dude,
    stop preaching about the glory of IS programming ability, when you yourself are in no position to claim to know as much about it as SE students.

You should be as honest as cooker3.

Please point out where I claimed to know as much about it as SE students??

Someone said all IS people cant program which is a total lie there are good and bad programmers in both streams. By the way when you were working on the applet did you manage to figure out how to do it??

I seem to remember you didnt. Its hard to write the server side of things when I didnt even try to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement