Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Bypass - Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Trotter wrote:
    Dear Minister Roche,

A quick decision is required, and needed by this infrastructurally strangled county. I for one will be voting on a party basis, based on the guarantees of the governing parties and how these guarantees have been acted upon. I have a sense that the number of Eco Warriors that vote is far outweighed by the number of frustrated drivers in this county that will cast their ballot with great enthusiasm. I would suspect that Dail seats will be secured or lost based on issues such as this.

Many thanks for reading my mail,
    Best Regards

Could this be misunderstood as some form of blackmail? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Merlante,
    I'd love to belive you, but almost every road project is designed by architects employed by local government. Just look at any Environmental Impact Study, it's published by local government because it is they who know the local area, and it is they who communicate with local people in relation to issues over the proposed route.

I dunno, it's not obvious which of the consultants ****ed up. There was an archeologist consultant named though, who presumably should have known. But could anyone have known beforehand?

Anyway, the situation that we are in now is that a decision must be made by Dick Roche. He can make that decision today or in 6 months time. And every day he waits, he hurts Waterford. We can't go back in time and change things, but we can damn well expect things to be done right from now on.

I have my own letter written, which I will send off today.

Could this be misunderstood as some form of blackmail? :D

Sure don't they bribe us?

Don't agree with trashing the viking site. They should preserve it.

I just wish Minister Roche would stop picking his nose and make a ****ing decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its not blackmail.. Anyone is free to say that they'll vote for the party in power if they keep their promises. Equally they are free to say they'll take their vote elsewhere to a party that will.

(Im still trying to find a party that will by the way).

I just think that politicians need reminding from time to time that being voted into the Dail isnt a permanent job. If I dont do mine, I'll be fired by the boss. The same should happen to politicians. If I tell my boss that I'll have something done in two weeks, he comes back two weeks later and says .. well where is it. If I then say.. I'll have it done in two weeks, He'll say.. Emm No, and if it keeps happening , he'll hire someone that can do the job as they said they would.

Its not blackmail at all.. just reduce it down to the level of a normal job. Messing people about on decisions constantly tends to rock the boat. Id be delighted if he made a decision and explained why. Then if they do the sensible thing and open the bit of the outer ring road thats just finished, and get Radiotherapy into WRH.. I might even vote for them again!

They want my / our vote.. I say show me why I should give it to ya!

In an article in the Irish Times today, which was dominated by Tara this, that and the other thing, there were two small paragraphs about the Waterford viking site.

Apparently, a decision on both is expected today. Still, send your angry letters: it looks like the road will be re-routed, and god knows what kind of delay that will incurr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yep.. I have it from the man himself that we'll be getting news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Bards

Press Release from Dept. of Environment

http://www.environ.ie/doei/doeihome.nsf/0/92B5542D684B0C8380256FFE004D7252

==============================================================

Roche Issues Directions Requiring Protection Of Viking Site On Route Of Waterford City By-Pass, N25

Mr Dick Roche, TD, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has announced today (11th May) that he has issued directions to Waterford City Council requiring the protection of the Viking site at Woodstown on the route of the proposed Waterford City By-Pass. The directions were issued under the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, 2004.

The archaeological site at Woodstown, County Waterford was discovered in April 2003 during the course of routine archaeological investigations in advance of the construction of the N25 – Waterford City By-Pass. The discovery was unexpected and had not been dealt with in the Environmental Impact Statement or the approval of the road project by An Bord Pleanala.

Minister Roche said " the site is considered to be of national importance because of its archaeological and historical significance. It is a multi-period site with extensive Viking occupation and is considered a National Monument within the meaning of the National Monuments Acts."

The Minister visited the site at Woodstown earlier this year and indicated that he was minded, subject to statutory procedures, to require the preservation of the site pending the development of a long-term strategy for its future preservation (in situ or by record) and archaeological investigation. He has, in the meantime, consulted with the Director of the National Museum, as he is required to by statute. Dr Wallace has indicated that he agrees with the proposed approach.

Minister Roche has now issued the directions and said that " he proposes, shortly, to establish a working group to advise on the long-term strategy to deal with this site. The working group will include representatives of the Department, the Museum and Waterford City Council. The working group will advise him on the appropriate management of this very important site. "

The NRA have indicated that they favour a modification to the alignment which would avoid the site. Under the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, 2004, it is now a matter for the Road Authority to submit its proposals for a re-alignment of a portion of the road to avoid the site to An Bord Pleanála for determination. The approval for the rest of the road stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmmmm, one the one hand, good they've made a desicion. On the other hand I can see property owners to the south of the current route getting on to thier solicitors as I type...

Mike.

Working groups... NRA has to hear proposals. FFS, this ****ing bypass is never going to be finished.

I was hoping that a route would be suggested and that Roche would give the go ahead for other parts of the road to begin, as Cullen said he would do.

Christ, I hope Cullen has some impact on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gerrydublin

merlante wrote:
    Working groups... NRA has to hear proposals. FFS, this ****ing bypass is never going to be finished.
    don't you mean
    this ****ing bypass is never going to be started

• Advertisement

Well, they both add up to pretty much the same thing... :(

Advertisement