Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie headsup online championship!

Options
  • 27-04-2005 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Very surprised that we haven't already organised this!

I'm suggesting that:

1) Everyone who wants to play signs up here.

2) When everyone has signed up, I'll post up the first round matchups.

3) For each matchup the 2 players involved organise a time to play.

4) In each round the matchups are to be played for a stake agreed to by *both* players. This should cater for those with (very) short bankrolls.
    So you can play from anything from $0.10 headsup (I think VC do these) up to $25 1v1 games.

5) People can play live either, in the Fitz or wherever as long as the game has the same structure as the online games.

6) I've attached a poll for people to choose which site they want to play on. The regular boards.ie tournaments are played on Pokerstars, but I know that alot of poker board members also play on VC and PPP. If you'd prefer to play on another site then let me know. It doesn't really matter which site people play on although the site with the most votes will be the preferred option if people want to play on conflicting sites.

7) Prizes: I was thinking that since we can't really charge people to enter that *maybe* DeV would stretch to a years subscription to Boards.ie for the winner, value €50. If not then I'll stump up the cash.

I think that's about all I have to say. Get your suggestions in, and make sure you sign up too!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Myself and Mike Lacey have been talking about this as a Boards Event alright but we've been trying to get a few things to fall into place at the same time (including an online qualifiers and an offline finals). We were planning early june for it but if we want we can accelerate it. I'll sort out some prize or other for it, shouldnt be hard to do given the contacts I have and the popularity of the forums. Interested to hear ideas and suggestions though...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Ok well while you're organising a super duper official competition maybe we can have an unoffical quickie beforehand!

I forgot teh poll so when people are saying they want in or out make sure you also post your preferred poker site!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What about playing best of 3 for all rounds? So say instead of playing for 10$ in a one-off game you play 2 or maybe 3, 5$ games. That way the best players are more likely to come through and if players lose to a 2-1 then their losses are minimised. Or maybe increase the number of games you need to win as the rounds progress like in snooker or something!

One problem I see here is managing to get both players playing on a table.

That could be done Imposter, best of three might be the fairest way.
    One problem I see here is managing to get both players playing on a table.
    Shouldn't be too tricky if we give people a week to get their matches played, they just need to have the same poker site software and agree on the stakes.

lafortezza wrote:
    That could be done Imposter, best of three might be the fairest way.
    Shouldn't be too tricky if we give people a week to get their matches played, they just need to have the same poker site software and agree on the stakes.
    What I mean is the possibility of someone else jumping in when one is seated but not the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What about playing best of 3 for all rounds? So say instead of playing for 10$ in a one-off game you play 2 or maybe 3, 5$ games. That way the best players are more likely to come through and if players lose to a 2-1 then their loses are minimised.

Good idea
    Or maybe increase the number of games you need to win as the rounds progress like in snooker or something

One might run into problems with length of time to play/finish each match then?

Count me in
    Pokerstars
    Number 1 choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I'll play.

PPP
    Pokerstars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i'll play too,

Pokerstars
    PPP/VC

the times of your most constructive posts do always give me a chuckle luke :)

I'll play but i won't be showing up in person. Online only i'm afraid.

VC, PS, Party etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'll play too, any of the sites mentioned so far are fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Me too... any of the sites are fine.

Getting the two players at the same table might mean going to a quieter site unless it's possible to create private tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

karlh wrote:
    the times of your most constructive posts do always give me a chuckle luke :)
    Half four is by general consensus the last point your brain still works while you're doing a nightshift. Luke was cutting it pretty fine there, any later and that post would have been gibberish.

I'll play. Pokerstars/Paddy Power Poker.

Imposter wrote:
    What I mean is the possibility of someone else jumping in when one is seated but not the other.
    Ah right I see what you mean, I've not played much headsup online poker myself, is this usually a big problem?
    Does pokerstars let you create your own private (passworded?) 1v1 tables?
    karlh wrote:
    the times of your most constructive posts do always give me a chuckle luke
    it was a quiet night last night, what can I say. If I was drunk you might have seen some of the other ideas I was having :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It can actually. I remember trying to play one with KenCleary on VC and not being able to cos people kept jumping in.

You got lucky Ken, you got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I can set up a heads up tournie. I did one by mistake a while ago! We just need a time and date.

Shortstack wrote:
    I can set up a heads up tournie. I did one by mistake a while ago! We just need a time and date.
    But the problem with that is they go on forever. Unless you set up a 'tournament' for each pairing and up to 3 times each!

Party has some new thingee about private tables. Anyone know if it's just cash or also for tournaments? (I'd investigate but stupid websense is a problem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Can we play this on Pokerstars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Bring it on!!

I wanted to set this up on Popkerstars on another site before discovering you need a minimum of 3 players for a HU tournament. duhuh!!!

Are there any sites where you can set up private HU games as PS doesn't do this (yet)

It's a great idea but I can see dificulty in co-ordinating it. When ever I try to play a friendly HU match on Stars with someone, there's always someone who jumps in before me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

How will the prize money be split betwen the two. I suggest 60-40.

O.k. o.k. seriously I'm game on any site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

YEah I'm in VC, Laddies, Party.
    Also I like the best of 3 idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

PPP or pokerstars for me. In saying that I'd much prefer to play matches live in the Fitz before the main tournaments (depending on the draw, of course).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I will play,I also like the idea of best of 3.

I dont mind PPP or Pokerstars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Great Idea, Ill play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Dont want to feel left out....I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LordJimbo

I'm in aswell lads
    VC, Party and whatever else needs to be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

i'll have some. ppp stars

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

I'm there. pokerroom, v.c or eurobet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

I'm in. Any site will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Me 32, I'm only on PPP at the moment.

Advertisement