Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamas

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Fiachra, Saoirse[an tainm a bhfearr m'athair dom], Con[aimn m'athair], Setanta, Ruadhraí [tar éis Gallagher].

Daráine freisin.

Eilís.

Sin é cheapaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

LadyJ wrote:
    Sorry,twas a jab at Ro:maaan :D

Ronan Keating has a lot to answer for. He's ruined the name for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Orlaith and Rioghnach for girdiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭*Sinéad*

taithníonn seadna agus tadhg liom, o buachaillí dar nóigh, nílim cinnte faoi cailin.

*Sin&#233 wrote: »
    taithníonn seadna agus tadhg liom, o buachaillí dar nóigh, nílim cinnte faoi cailin.

GOBNAIT!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppins9000

aoibhinn.............
    meadbh........
    ruan..........
    fryia........

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Caoilfhoinn...girl (pronounced Keelin)
    Fionnán...boy
    Suppose Setanta's a no-go area these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

Not sure if they are all irish, but I like Sinead, Roisin, Ciara, Nuala, Gwendolyn, Cassidy, Mailin, Sean, Seamus, Cillian and Ryan.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Feenikusu wrote:
    Not sure if they are all irish, but I like Sinead, Roisin, Ciara, Nuala, Gwendolyn, Cassidy, Mailin, Sean, Seamus, Cillian and Ryan.

Gwendolyn & Ryan = Welsh(unless u spell ryan rian, stupid),
    Mailin = Scottish (but let's not split hairs)
    Cassidy = American

But yeah, the rest are all fairly much Irish. Except Seán, I'm not a fan of Seán, just from an Irish point of view. Seán is an anglicised-irish-esque word for John. The real Irish for the name is Eoin, or Eoghan.

I can just imagine how many people are going to tell me I'm wrong about that, so as a pre-emptive move--each to his own,

Gwendolyn & Ryan = Welsh(unless u spell ryan rian, stupid),
    Mailin = Scottish (but let's not split hairs)
    Cassidy = American

But yeah, the rest are all fairly much Irish. Except Seán, I'm not a fan of Seán, just from an Irish point of view. Seán is an anglicised-irish-esque word for John. The real Irish for the name is Eoin, or Eoghan.

I can just imagine how many people are going to tell me I'm wrong about that, so as a pre-emptive move--each to his own,

Well as it happens you are wrong about "Seán". It came about from the Franco-Norman name "Jean", not "John", with the arrival of the Normans to Ireland. It's actually one of many misconceptions about many Irish words. Anyway it's originally a Hebrew name, not an English one. But it has a history in Ireland going back nearly a thousand years. Seán O'Neill, Uncle of Hugh O'Neill(he of the battle of Kinsale, 1601) being probably the most famous historical character to bear the name.
    There are many words that came into Irish from Latin, French and Norse. But a lot of people assume that the words were recent makey-uppy words taken from English that were created by Irish revivalists in the 20th century, just because they are similar to the English words.
    Very often both English and Irish borrowed the word from another language. It's another one of these fallacies that convinces many people of English's inate superiority to Irish.
    Some examples:
    "Sráid", comes from Norse, not the English word "street".
    "Dáinséar", comes from French, not from the English "danger"(which came from French as well)
    "Maighnéad" comes from the Latin, not the English "Magnet". In fact it's use in Irish in medieval scientific manuscripts, is known to be older than in English.
    "Mainistir" comes from the latin, not the English "monastery". And the list goes on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

seamus wrote:
    Moved from AH
    Bitter much? :D
    Naw, not at all. It's put the hex on my chosen career of action movie star though.

I see lots of unnecessary consonants up there, people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lighthouse_Cat

Caoilfhoinn...girl (pronounced Keelin)
    Damn someone got there before me!
    How about Cliodhna? (couldn't do a fada)

I've always been fond of Cathal, but then I've always been very vain. It's great, until you leave this country and become Ka-thal (or Kay-thal). I was once asked if it was latin. Then it's a bit of a b!tch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,211 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I quite like most girls' names and some boys' names as long as it is not sweet little fooking jaysis (only came across it twice but it is very sick and sad indeed)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Freya(dunno the irsh spelling)
    Niamh
    Aisling
    Aislinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Freya's Scandinavian or something.

What about Lorcán for a boy? I think it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My names Sorcha, but I don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Is maith liom na h-ainmneacha:
    Seamus, Eoin, Finghin, Niall

agus do na chailíní:
    Meadhbh, Caolfhoinn(ceapaim go bhfuil fuaim an deas ag an ceann seo), Róisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Until that doctors surgery programme on rte last year I'd never heard of the name keelin before, and I loved it,
    but tbh I think it'd be a curse on the child to call her caoilfhionn(as much as I like it) because people would be forever calling her quailfun and the like......
    not trying to take from the name but theres nothing worse than people constantly getting your name wrong!
    I suppose if it became more popular there'd be less people that ignorant to it like me

Shyster wrote:
    Until that doctors surgery programme on rte last year I'd never heard of the name keelin before, and I loved it,
    but tbh I think it'd be a curse on the child to call her caoilfhionn(as much as I like it) because people would be forever calling her quailfun and the like......
    not trying to take from the name but theres nothing worse than people constantly getting your name wrong!
    I suppose if it became more popular there'd be less people that ignorant to it like me

There is a more modern/simpler spelling that I've seen used - Caoilinn. Although it's does betray the meaning of the name somewhat.
    I met a Caoilfhionn once who was amazed I could pronounce her name properly when I read it off a page. There are a few of us who can you know! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

see at first glance Id look at that like the name Caolán and pronounce the first bit more like "caoimhe" than "kee".. doesnt make much sense written down so ill shup!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

ruán, luan. i hate iseult. naoise's all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike65 wrote:
    Dont red letter me sonny!

Athracht if you insist.

Mike.

Hmm I thought you were talking about tractors . :D

Advertisement