Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons at halfway point:Groening

Options
  • 26-04-2005 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

Depressing quote of the day from Matt Groening..... JUST LET IT DIE, MATT.
    The Simpsons creator Matt Groening has indicated that he plans for the show to stay on the air for many years to come.

Despite some previous indications that the show could be reaching the end, Groening told the New York Times on Sunday that in fact he thinks "the show has almost reached its halfway point, which means another 17 years."
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds20856.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Depressing quote? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Groening's a hell of a funny guy with his morbid humour and nightmare scenarios and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

him and George Lucas

LET IT DIE

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno, I mean it's just not that funny anymore. There have been the odd episodes of late that have been really good but they seem to be few and far between. I reckon his creative energy would have been better spent on more Futurama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Me thinks he just missing with our heads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

This show really isn't as funny as it used to be. And to be honest i'm dreading to see what the show would look like if it were to go on for another 17 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Simpsons went CRAZY bring back FUTURAMA!!!!!

So much better than simpsons

Glip :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Glipmac wrote:
    Glip :cool:

glip indeed..glip in deed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It hasn't been funny in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It hasnt been funny in years,in fact it has been a pain to watch because it shows how they have messed up a once great show by not letting it die! Thank God Family Guy is coming back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The torture continues, and this quote clearly shows Matt Groening has completely lost touch with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

I reckon his creative energy would have been better spent on more Futurama.

except futurama is gone now, so the simpsons is all he has left. maybe its agood thing that futurama ended sooner tho. matts track record of keeping a show going without it becoming crap is not good if simpsons is anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Family Guy is now what the Simpsons was 10 years ago.

I've noticed in the newest Simpsons episodes I've seen there's a bit of a "Family Guy" feel to some of their scenarios. Maybe they're being influenced? Maybe they've poached a couple of Family Guy writers?

Of course Family Guy has the advantage that it's aimed at an older audience - say 16 to 35 y.o.s whereas I think the Simpsons get's an audience from 7 or 8 years old upwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh look, another "the Simpsons isn't funny any more" thread. Almost as dull and predictable as a recent episode of the Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lisa: Hey, Planet Earth! Are you suffering from the heartbreak of...Simpsons-itis? Then take a tip from Mr. Paul Anka!

[Paul waves, begins playing a small synthesizer and singing]
    "To stop those Simpsons, one-two-three,
    Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free.
    It's got Paul Anka's guarantee...[winks]

Lisa: [singing] Guarantee void in Tennessee.

Together: [singing] Just don't look. Just don't look.
    Just don't look. Just don't look.
    Just don't look. Just don't look......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I heard many of the top simpsons writers left to work on futurama and family guy, and have returned to re-juvinate the simpsons. ATM though i am very behind on new Simposns episodes so I have no idea how the very new material is, but id agree the show is long past it's prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do people still watch the new ones?
    I gave up on it a long time ago, which means I can just ignore the existence of these new seasons and focus solely on the golden years of Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

except futurama is gone now, so the simpsons is all he has left. maybe its agood thing that futurama ended sooner tho. matts track record of keeping a show going without it becoming crap is not good if simpsons is anything to go by...
    futurama was really only getting started in my books, when a show like the simpsons been out for 13 years (before it started to get ****) you're bound to hit a brick wall.

they should just let it die.

south park and family guy make up for the void the simpsons has left in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you dont like it dont watch it. I personally think the show has been ****e for many many years, the humour is dated and I have even over-watched the old classics.

I can't imagine Futurama being any good for some reason. I only watched one episode, years ago, and didn't like it.
    Can anyone recommend a good episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You honestly think Groening wants it to go for another 17 years?

You've all been trolled.

seamus wrote:
    You honestly think Groening wants it to go for another 17 years?

You've all been trolled.

I'd love to say you're right but I wouldn't be suprised if he's serious.

MG gives the impression that he really doesn't care either way about the show anymore (I feel hasn't done ever since Futurama first appeared, which coincidently coorelates almost perfectly with when I feel the Simps took a nosedive quality-wise .) and he probably just sees the show as a cash cow to facilitate him doing other projects that might interest him.

Hell to show how little he seemingly cares about Homer&Co just recount the explained origin of the simpsons themselves. When it came time to pitch for the 'shorts' on the Tracy Ullman show they were 'invented' in the spur of a moment to protect his true love 'Life in Hell' from being taken away from his control.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I can't imagine Futurama being any good for some reason. I only watched one episode, years ago, and didn't like it.
    Can anyone recommend a good episode?
    Futurama is class! Not sure of what episode you should watch, just keep watching it and you'll be hooked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

please no...... god no!
    the memory of the previous simpsons before these pieces of "celebrity" voice filled crap is in jepordy.
    I cant think of a single new episode in the past 3 years which has been funny,
    in fact I just find the comedy irritating, annoying and predictable. they are giving stories to the characters that dont need or deserve them - namely Moe (big culprit, funny in smaller roles), comic book guy (funny for his smaller parts again), barney (same as the other two). You can tell they are running out of steam as there is more and more maggie jokes - compared to the better series which barely take notice of her.
    All the novelty characters (Duffman, Disco Stu, Ralph, etc.) keep showing up with greater frequency and for longer. Plus if they cant get a good idea they just seem to bang a celebrity voice in and write a plot and jokes which go nowhere.
    If the simpsons started like this it would be laughed of the air. Make a film and end it there is what I say. Unlike King of the Hill & Southpark the comedy doesnt evolve it just dilutes to a crass unamusing mess. R.I.P. Phil Hartman, your presence is much missed amoung the residents of Springfield.

"Would Anyone care to Join me in a belt of Scotch?"
    "Its 10.30am"
    "I know, last chance..."
    glug glug glug.
    Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure - 2 of the best T.V. Characters ever
    thank god they arent around to be abused in the newer series, I'd say Hartman would be rolling in his grave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/comedy/simpsons/decade.htm

This great article bodes well for the future of the Simpsons.
    and he probably just sees the show as a cash cow to facilitate him doing other projects that might interest him.
    Which might be true if there were any other projects. What has Groening done lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've always found Futurama WAY over-rated, it's not actually that good imho. Family Guy, although I think it's great, is over-rated a bit as well.

corblimey wrote:

I didn't say the projects had to be in the enterainment media. For all we know he could be playing the stockmarker, funding research for a cure to cancer or buying up entire streets in Dublin4 with his fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Gee, that Matt is a funny guy... joking that the Simpsons will be around for longer... he he he?

The Simpsons just doesnt do it for me anymore, it's not just the new episodes though, I've just been engulfed with so much of the Simpsons over the years, even the old classics are becoming repetitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It could get good again and have a comeback. Who knows?

• Advertisement

Weird article. New York vs Homer was a hilarious episode I thought, and I know I'm not alone. He descibes it as 'winsome' as though that were a bad thing?

"It's the world's smelliest tumour!" is coarse language? WTF?

Advertisement