Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX is a load crap

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BeerBurp

well encoding to divx is not a scene standard,try encoding to xvid with gkot.if u cant figure the settings there i reccomend u try using auto gk version 1.1 always gives u a graet file :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Why is the audio not 5.1?
    the three LOTR + 5.1 should easily fit on one DVDr as XviD

Eh? At what resolution? 300x200? Don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Cabaal wrote:
    Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Windows etc they all cost money...that sucks :p
    :rolleyes:

Paying for software... hahaha... good one.

hostyle wrote:
    Eh? At what resolution? 300x200? Don't be silly.
    Erh, he's actually right. Three high quality DivX or XviD files will easilly fit on a 4.7Gb hdd as the files would only be like 700Mbs each. n00b.

Achilles wrote:
    Erh, he's actually right. Three high quality DivX or XviD files will easilly fit on a 4.7Gb hdd as the files would only be like 700Mbs each.

Define high quality then? DVD resolution? >1Kb/s xvid? 5.1 ac3 sound? Not a chance of fitting a 3 hour movie into 700Mb.
    Achilles wrote:
    n00b.

Up yours too bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Achilles wrote:
    Erh, he's actually right. Three high quality DivX or XviD files will easilly fit on a 4.7Gb hdd as the files would only be like 700Mbs each. n00b.
    Depends on your definition of "high quality" I suppose...

hostyle wrote:
    Define high quality then? DVD resolution? >1Kb/s xvid? 5.1 ac3 sound? Not a chance of fitting a 3 hour movie into 700Mb.

Up yours too bitch.

Ok maybe not 700Mbs but you're certainly fit all of the 3 movies onto one DVD. Ohh and nice one on the bitch comment by the way.... congrats on handling a disagreement in a mature and intelligent fashion.

Achilles wrote:
    Ok maybe not 700Mbs but you're certainly fit all of the 3 movies onto one DVD.

You'll fit two of the LOTR movies (actual high quality video and sound) in my experience on a single DVD-R. You can lower the resolution and video or sound quality to fit all three on, but I find the lower quality unacceptable when viewing.
    Achilles wrote:
    Ohh and nice one on the bitch comment by the way.... congrats on handling a disagreement in a mature and intelligent fashion.

My oh my. You can call me names (n00b), but you can't take it when I call you one eh?

a movie thats 1 hr 50 mins make to a 1 cd size anything longer to a 2 cd thats ur quality issue sorted...for all those wasting their movie on philips dvx player i say stop.Buy the yamada 6700 divx player.You can get firmwate updates from their site for the opal codec and it also plays the svcd quality movies unlike the philips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

4.5GB (usable DVD+/-R) / 3 = 1.5GB per Film

ANYBODY could get a full res (712 lines) 2/3 hour film as a DivX into that kind of space with 5.1 if needed.

The quality would approach DVD if done correctly.

• Advertisement

Case and point. Score: Achilles 1... the rest of ya, 0!

kasintahan wrote:
    4.5GB (usable DVD+/-R) / 3 = 1.5GB per Film

ANYBODY could get a full res (712 lines) 2/3 hour film as a DivX into that kind of space with 5.1 if needed.

The quality would approach DVD if done correctly.

I must be pickier than ANYBODY then. For most films you are correct. For the LOTR disks, I wasn't happy with the quality at 2 CDs each. Maybe I'm not such a l33t encoder as the rest of you. Or maybe my eyes are fussier.

Achilles wrote:
    Case and point. Score: Achilles 1... the rest of ya, 0!

You wouldn't mind showing us your Gordian Knot (or whatever toolset you use) logs then from any of the LOTR movies encoded to 1.5 Gb, and a few screenshots to indicate the quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

hostyle wrote:
    I must be pickier than ANYBODY then. For most films you are correct. For the LOTR disks, I wasn't happy with the quality at 2 CDs each. Maybe I'm not such a l33t encoder as the rest of you. Or maybe my eyes are fussier.

I'd tend towards the former. Try Gordian Knot - even the auto version is pretty good.

kasintahan wrote:
    I'd tend towards the former. Try Gordian Knot - even the auto version is pretty good.

Er, dude. I've been using them for years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

BeerBurp wrote:
    a movie thats 1 hr 50 mins make to a 1 cd size anything longer to a 2 cd thats ur quality issue sorted...for all those wasting their movie on philips dvx player i say stop.Buy the yamada 6700 divx player.You can get firmwate updates from their site for the opal codec and it also plays the svcd quality movies unlike the philips

Where can you get the yamada from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

This article compares divx, xvid and nero digital.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/131/5
    I like Nero Recode, it's extremely easy to use for the casual encoder like myself and nero digital plays fine in xbox media centre.

You can buy the yamada at www.pixmania.com or most mafor sites.Rem google is your friend.P.S yamad with firmware update also plays subs is u happen to have and foreign movies with a .sub or srt sub text file

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To resolve all quality issues due to imperfect encoding, I just sit further back from the TV .

Beerburp wrote:
    Erm, I have the Philips 630 DivX player, they have firmware on their site also that allows you play other codecs as they release them, and will update the firmware for newer versions of DivX etc. Philips are a good quality build. Go google reviews for the Yamada... lots of hardware problems, failing after a few weeks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just installed AutoGK, and MS Anti Spyware complained about one of the parts attempting to install something called AdHelper (which I blocked).

Just FYI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, AutoGKnot doesn't contain spyware... so unless you downloaded an altered installer, i can't imagine you getting spyware with it. The software is open source, any attempt to add spyware on the sly would be noticed very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Downloaded it from the AutoGK download page....

Well, AutoGKnot doesn't contain spyware... so unless you downloaded an altered installer, i can't imagine you getting spyware with it. The software is open source, any attempt to add spyware on the sly would be noticed very quickly.

len0x added spyware a few months ago because he wasnt getting enough donations. Go read the doom9 forums - a lot of unhappy people complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

hostyle wrote:
    len0x added spyware a few months ago because he wasnt getting enough donations. Go read the doom9 forums - a lot of unhappy people complaining about it.
    Wow, how did i miss that! I don't remember ever hearing a word about that, even on the doom9 newspage. I take back my previous statement :p

*goes reading*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Totally OT:
    Mutant: That's a feckin' class sig image. Every time I see it I think "that's deadly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

The spyware can be removed through add-remove, but you have to install it to install GK

Advertisement