Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX is a load crap

Options
  • 23-04-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok,

i've finally given up on encoding my DVD's to DiVx, reasons:

1. take way too long (up to 3 hours!!!)
    2. resultant file often has video and audio incorrectly matched (couldnt be arsed trying to correct in the likes of virtualdub etc). anyway the sound is mismatched at the end of the video rather than the beginning further complicating the correction task.
    3. my new philips 630 divX player plays the files ok but has a crappy interface and aint the quickest to load.
    4. divx encoder costs $20

I think the main reason i tried divx out is to have the ability to store dvd's on my pc (wouldnt be watching them on the pc though) as backups.

Conclusion:
    I now DVD shrink all my DVD's and burn to cheap media DVD-R/+R, no problems plus can give them to friends etc or bring them to any other dvd player in the region free world.

Be warned - DivX sucks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

1. Encoding to any format takes a long time.
    2. Never a problem for me. Sounds like dodgy software
    3. Blame Philips not DivX
    4. There are plenty of free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I prefer XviD for this reason.
    2. resultant file often has video and audio incorrectly matched (couldnt be arsed trying to correct in the likes of virtualdub etc). anyway the sound is mismatched at the end of the video rather than the beginning further complicating the correction task.

This is the fault of the AVI media container format. The OGM and MKV (Matroska) container formats are much better. Also you need to keep the sampling rate of your audio at 48,000Hz. 44,000Hz will cause the sound to be out of sync.

I'll agree with you here :)

DVD Shrink is much easier and faster alright. DivX/XviD are good though for movies that need to fit on a CD/be put on the web.

The new NeroDigital codec is supposed to be pretty good.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Google for autogk, never had any trouble with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Google for autogk, never had any trouble with it!!
    I'll 2nd that recomendation. Super app. Love the way you can queue up jobs and let it off for a day or 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah get AutoGK.

http://autogk.me.uk

Use it with XviD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ahhh.... I disagree for one reason. You can get stand-alone DVD/DivX players in shops. Haven't seen a cheap Xvid one yet. Means I can put all 3 LotR's on one DVD :cool: so once I get money, I'm going to get one (mate got a Phillips one for €140, and its damn cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Most DivX players can play XviD files, as both are MPEG-4.

Although some of the players in shops can't play certain types of XviD files. (They should all be able to play files encoded with AutoGK though).

You can get an elta 8883 (one of the best and most compatible players out there, according to the knowledgeable people in the doom9 forums) off eBay for around €65 (including VAT and delivery).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

bibibobo wrote:
    Ok,

i've finally given up on encoding my DVD's to DiVx, reasons:

3. my new philips 630 divX player plays the files ok but has a crappy interface and aint the quickest to load.

I think the main reason i tried divx out is to have the ability to store dvd's on my pc (wouldnt be watching them on the pc though) as backups.

Conclusion:
    I now DVD shrink all my DVD's and burn to cheap media DVD-R/+R, no problems plus can give them to friends etc or bring them to any other dvd player in the region free world.

Be warned - DivX sucks!!!!

1) What Spec PC do you have?

2) You should use VBR MP3 and not a CBR MP3 to avoid sync problems

3) Thats your DVD player not divx

4) You can encode DivX files with their free version.

What program are you using to do the process? I'd recommend Gordian Knot(www.doom9.net)

If you have a AMD processor, use XviD, DivX seems to prefer Intel processors

I can get 6 DVD quality films on a DVD. DVD Shrink is good but I'd only use it if I want to watch a film on a ordinary dvd player. DivX's are region free too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Handbrake.

http://handbrake.m0k.org

One slight problem: It runs on anything. Anything not made by Microsoft.

Its got GTK2, OSX and BeOS native GUI's, encodes relatively quickly and to a fair few formats, and creates files that work well (good sync, etc). But nobody has ever bothered porting it to Windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

XViD and Ogg Vorbis in OGM container with subs etc.
    Perfect for anime/foreign films or titles with multiple languages.

DivX does indeed suck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bibibobo wrote:

This is why X-Box Media Center is the best thing since sliced bread cause it plays basically everything ;)

Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Windows etc they all cost money...that sucks :p
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cabaal wrote:
    This is why X-Box Media Center is the best thing since sliced bread cause it plays basically everything ;)

Except flash (.swf) and some funky Quicktime stuff :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

bibibobo wrote:
    Ok,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00029HBJM/customer-reviews/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/202-2810565-2572601

In the reviews here they say it plays Xvid...

I was thinking of getting that philiips. For €99 I though it was an ok deal.

It would be hard to find a DivX player that doesnt support XviD's. Any I've seen support both.

SyxPak wrote:
    XViD and Ogg Vorbis in OGM container with subs etc.
    Perfect for anime/foreign films or titles with multiple languages.

DivX does indeed suck.

I wouldn't say that. XviD is the better codec but it's not vastly better than DivX. You can use DivX in an OGM container as well (I love the OGM container, despite its age it still seems to be more reliable than Matroska for me).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I use a AVI container, what are the differences?

AVI does a poor job of streaming, seeking, audio/video syncing, variable frame-rate video/audio and variable bit rate video/audio. VBR-MP3 support has gotten better in AVI but it still isn't great. You can't use audio formats such as Vorbis in AVI because of the syncing issues.

Any what about standalone divx players, Do different containers affect playback on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Another vote for AutoGK with XviD. Couldn't be easier to use, gives you plenty enough options without being confusing and does everything for you.

6 XviD movies on a DVD+RW watch them and then overwrite it for another 6 movies, and you wouldn't know the difference from the originals unless you have a huge telly.

Okay, so it may take a bit of time to encode them, but with AutoGK, as has already been said, as long as you have the hard drive space to rip the vobs to you can leave it doing 2, 3 or 10 movies over a couple of days, and if you have to use your PC you can just drop the encoder down to idle and work away without losing performance for what you're doing.

Everything takes time. you're squashing 4 or 5gb of video data into 700mb, it's not going to be instant is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

2) You should use VBR MP3 and not a CBR MP3 to avoid sync problems
    Sync issues in DivX files are caused by VBR mp3 nine times out of then. The other times its when audio was incorrectly ripped out of the DVD, and the delay wasn't compensated for. Audio tracks in DVD's typically have a few hundred miliseconds up to a few seconds delay in them, which DVD players read, and auto-compensate for.

• Advertisement

I found that using CBR caused the audio to gradually go more and more out of sync as it was played. I never had sync problems with VBR. I was assuming that the delay was compensated for, thats probably his problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

k....now that this thread has run its course, I'm gonna hijack it :D

How much more compression does xvid / divx get over mpeg2 for equivalent quality?

I saw someone say they got the three lord of the rings onto one dvd. That's only 1.5GB each, or roughly 500MB per hour. What kind of quality level would that get you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Khannie wrote:

How much more compression does xvid / divx get over mpeg2 for equivalent quality?

I saw someone say they got the three lord of the rings onto one dvd. That's only 1.5GB each, or roughly 500MB per hour. What kind of quality level would that get you?

Why would you bother doing that anyway. Desperate short of disk space, or can only carry one DVD not 3? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Dempsey wrote:
    Any what about standalone divx players, Do different containers affect playback on these?

As far as I know, standalone players can only play AVI container format. (It takes about 5 mins to convert between container formats btw, so don't worry that if you choose one container format when encoding that you're stuck with it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Khannie wrote:

Properly, hand done Gordian Knot DivX/Xvid with VBR MP3/Ogg would be approaching DVD quality at 500MB/hour.

It depends on the..
    Amount of motion (the more motion the more difficult to compress)
    Number of colours
    Linearity of patterns (a geometric patterns compress easier - but they are easier to spot flaws in, soft rounded edges look better to humans.)
    CBR/VBR - Variable bit rate can use less bandwidth for easy to compress scenes and more for hard ones. Nobody uses Constant Bitrate anymore for video (DivX 3 was CBR, but could be VBR'ed with uber l33t skillz). The same goes for the soundtrack.
    Resolution/Bitrate tradeoff - the higher the resolution the better a film can look, but if you haven't enough bits/sec to throw at it then looks horrible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SyxPak wrote:
    Except flash (.swf) and some funky Quicktime stuff :/

Yeah but who the hell cares ;)
    Nobody in their right mind encodes anything other then trailers using quicktime :p

And for the price it beats any other mainstream player hands down

Khannie wrote:

I can get the 3 onto one dvd, very high quality, audio is not 5.1 but still very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Why is the audio not 5.1?
    the three LOTR + 5.1 should easily fit on one DVDr as XviD

I dont have them 5.1 thats just the way I did em. You could easily do it i used avi containers at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

5.1 is only any good if you have a 5.1 speaker setup. if not then what's the point, when you can get a little more video quality out of the saved space?

Advertisement