Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Third Gig confirmed!

Options
  • 22-04-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard there on the radio that a third gig has been confirmed for the Monday (27th, i think) after the other two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

basquille wrote:
    Just heard there on the radio that a third gig has been confirmed for the Monday (27th, i think) after the other two.

Yup.....I got tickets for the Saturday gig! I practicallly queued all night.

u2.com release below....

Extra Date For Dublin
    U2 will play a third date at Croke Park this summer.

Paul McGuinness has told U2.Com that plans have now been agreed for a third date at Croke Park this June. This follows an agreement with the Gaelic Athletic Association, owners of Croke Park.

The new show will take place on Monday June 27th. The band have already sold out two shows at Croke Park on June 24th and 25th.

"We have resolved the issues with the GAA and are delighted to announce that U2 will play a third show at Croke Park on Monday 27th June," said Paul McGuinness. "The band is very excited to be playing to a quarter of a million people in their home town and we're going to do all we can to ensure that the tickets are distributed fairly.
    "Even with the extra 80,000 tickets I know there will be some disappointed fans, such is the demand. We are working on the details of putting the tickets on sale and will announce as soon as we can."

We'll post details about ticket sales on U2.Com as soon as we have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

OK, can those who already have tickets please bugger off & let those of us who didn't get any, have a chance? Please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

they should have announced earlier.
    Many of the touts have already made their money...
    I hope many fans who couldnt get tickets first time round are luckier this time.
    (I wont bother though... already got tickets for the Manchester gig!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

iMAX wrote:
    OK, can those who already have tickets please bugger off & let those of us who didn't get any, have a chance? Please ?
    Yeah... that'll stop 'em! :D

I saw them already at Slane 2001 (the 1st one). And wasn't too pushed in getting tickets for the other two when they went on sale.

But am considering getting tickets for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭moby2101

Excellent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Bummer, I spent a fortune on my ticket for the saturday show!! Ah well... By the way, who knows who's playing support on that night (sat)?

Paddy Casey and Snow Patrol for both nights... and I presume for the third?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

iMax wrote:

Yup, no problemo. Won't be getting any this time.

I queued at the square in talla-fornia last time if thats any help to you. Was there at about 3.30AM.

spanner_head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why not do what they did for Glastonbury this year ? You have to supply a name and address and you need an ID that matches the given name and address, otherwise you're not getting in. Perhaps make it official so that you can't just go off and make a false one to match the given name and address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

No presale tickets on U2.com any more though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Ok, advice .. how the hell am I going to get tickets ... 2 measly tickets for this gig ??? Is there any point in joining the U2 official website .. think it costs $40 to join but would this guarantee tickets ... Tried buying on the web the last time, impossible, and sure they were all gone in an hour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

theres no point- read my last post! :)

Check out this from their FAQs!

"Please Note: Due to unprecedented demand, we are no longer offering new U2.Com Subscribers presale opportunities for the Vertigo 2005 Tour.
    Signing Up Costs $40 per year"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They should release all the tickets for this concert as an Irish only concert. There were reports of buses of people coming from Liverpool to queue on behalf of touts, but they were stung by the authorities who'd seen them do it before.

A good idea would be if they released X amount on sale guaranteed through point-of-sale shops & ticketmasters, and the remainder on line, but only available to Irish internet customers. It's not difficult to restrict all transactions to Irish IP addresses. I know it's not a perfect system, but at least it would give genuine fans a chance to purchase tickets. I can see why people would buy 6 tickets and sell 4 of them for a small profit, it's human nature, but some of the prices we are seeing at the moment are ridiculous.

bruachain wrote:
    They should release all the tickets for this concert as an Irish only concert. There were reports of buses of people coming from Liverpool to queue on behalf of touts, but they were stung by the authorities who'd seen them do it before.

A good idea would be if they released X amount on sale guaranteed through point-of-sale shops & ticketmasters, and the remainder on line, but only available to Irish internet customers. It's not difficult to restrict all transactions to Irish IP addresses. I know it's not a perfect system, but at least it would give genuine fans a chance to purchase tickets. I can see why people would buy 6 tickets and sell 4 of them for a small profit, it's human nature, but some of the prices we are seeing at the moment are ridiculous.
    you cant restrict things like to to certain markets - it's anti competitive and the EU would fine the bejaysus outta the promotors.
    And besides, there's lot of irish people who got tickets for U2 gigs abroad (me included!).
    Those fans who really really really wanted to go queued early or got them on presale.
    Those who got burnt (by trying online) will have learnt their lesson and will queue early next time round.
    I do agree though that certain restrictions be put in place - gotta keep 4 max tickets per purchase at least. And more has to be done about ebay / touts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

How can I get 6 tickets fo this to sell at an inflated price on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

Anybody got any predictions on when they might go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tuco wrote:
    Probably either next Friday or the following Friday!

tuco wrote:
    probably a Friday morning (8am) within the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Well it wont be 2 weeks from today. The tickets for those BudRising Summer shows go on sale then. They would be insane to have both on sale at the same time!

• Advertisement

Well it wont be 2 weeks from today. The tickets for those BudRising Summer shows go on sale then. They would be insane to have both on sale at the same time!

thats some good thinkin ;)
    I still think it will be a Friday though - this minimises queues at the outlets.... would be much busier on a Saturday morning, and there's then greater security risks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

whiskeyman wrote:
    you cant restrict things like to to certain markets - it's anti competitive and the EU would fine the bejaysus outta the promotors.
    And besides, there's lot of irish people who got tickets for U2 gigs abroad (me included!).
    Those fans who really really really wanted to go queued early or got them on presale.
    Those who got burnt (by trying online) will have learnt their lesson and will queue early next time round.
    I do agree though that certain restrictions be put in place - gotta keep 4 max tickets per purchase at least. And more has to be done about ebay / touts.

I'm sure there is a simple way around it regarding the EU. My point was not regarding all the tour dates. When the initial rumours went around about 3 Irish dates, a few of us were chatting and thought that it would be a good idea to restrict one of the dates to Irish sales. The competition authorities would be more interested in how the World Cup tickets are being sold for Germany 2006 and the Visa/MasterCard fiasco that going on there at the moment, but thats off the subject.
    whiskeyman wrote:

I queued all night on Grafton St for the Slane concert tickets at HMV, by the time they went on sale there were a few thousand fans lined up and down the street. I estimate about 20-30 people got through the doors before they were closed and they announced that it was sold out. There was nearly a full-scale riot on the street, with bottles etc. being thrown at HMV staff/rent-a-cop security and the plate-glass windows in the store. It was quite ugly, and a load of Gardai had to make a guest appearance to restore order. This time around we said we'd try the phone and internet, both of which we were trying from 7.30am on that Friday, and at 8am on the button they both crashed. I work for an ISP and we have the ticketing system broadband connection account here, and we even juiced up their bandwidth to something like a 5Mb leased line for a few minutes to try and get through the demand, and we STILL couldnt get past the second purchase screen!!! Madness - but that a great band for you!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

whiskeyman wrote:
    Paddy Casey and Snow Patrol for both nights... and I presume for the third?

June 24th Dublin - Croke Park,
    Support Act: Paddy Casey, Snow Patrol
    June 25th Dublin - Croke Park,
    Support Act: Radiators

bruachain wrote:
    I queued all night on Grafton St for the Slane concert tickets at HMV, by the time they went on sale there were a few thousand fans lined up and down the street. I estimate about 20-30 people got through the doors before they were closed and they announced that it was sold out. There was nearly a full-scale riot on the street, with bottles etc. being thrown at HMV staff/rent-a-cop security and the plate-glass windows in the store. It was quite ugly, and a load of Gardai had to make a guest appearance to restore order. This time around we said we'd try the phone and internet, both of which we were trying from 7.30am on that Friday, and at 8am on the button they both crashed. I work for an ISP and we have the ticketing system broadband connection account here, and we even juiced up their bandwidth to something like a 5Mb leased line for a few minutes to try and get through the demand, and we STILL couldnt get past the second purchase screen!!! Madness - but that a great band for you!

I know what you're saying...
    Anyway, best of luck to all of ye who want tickets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hopefully there'll be good support for te third show. Ive seen Paddy Casey and the Radiators at oxegen. Didn't really like them.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

There IS going to be huge demand for these tickets , consider that U2 playing in their home city and that allmost every other date of their WT has sold out . You are going to have fans from all over the world trying to get their hand on a ticket .

sharkman wrote:
    June 25th Dublin - Croke Park,
    Support Act: Radiators

Nice one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Id say the fact its on a monday will stop a fairfew people going.

Im not that pushed I seen the popmart tour and I doubt they could top that.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Im thinking of queueing up over night. But I keep thinking about practical stuff. Like what if you had to go to the toilet? And are the queues properly managed. Is it possible for people to skip the queue. That would make my blood boil. And you are probably better off doing it with your mates. But my mates are definitely not as big u2 fans as I am. Could anyone who queued before tell us about there experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Anyone who queues for tickets is an idiot.

Advertisement