Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ever expanding Commuter Belt.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Macy wrote:
    The rants about one off houses are just another example of city dwellers trying to dictate to country dwellers.

I'm not actually sure that there are that many examples of city dwellers trying to dictate to country dwellers, but there might be more than a few cases of country dwellers either having unreasonable expectations of the extent to which their can impose costs on the rest of the community, or even not recognising the additional costs they might be imposing on the rest of the community.

There are a number of aspects to the one-off housing debate, but I think the key point is we are combining the disadvantages of living in a city with all the disadvantages of living in the country. The outcome is lower living standards both for country and city dwellers.
    Macy wrote:
    Country people have always built close to their family home, the fact that far fewer now have to emigrate is the main difference in recent years. You'd swear this is a bad thing?

I think you've half pointed out the issue here. We no longer have emigration, so while the practical difficulties of one-off housing were always there its only in recent years that the problems are becoming critical. I think its also likely that people are becoming more aware of the need for proper planning, and realising the problems that come about from short sighted political decision making.

Its simply a fact that one-off housing imposes additional costs on the community at large and, to be honest, I can't recall ever seeing a proponent of one-off housing substantially addressing those points.

There's not a bad article here
    http://www.antaisce.org/campaigns/antaisce_articles/One-off%20Housing_James%20Nix_i.doc

that summarises the basic issues (which I think you'll have to agree amounts to more than a 'rant'.)

There's also a recent thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=245135&page=1&pp=20

on the recent relaxation of planning rules, if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I commuted from just outside Malahide to Dun Laoghaire every day for 2 years when in college. It took nearly 2 hours each way. If it rained it was worse! Thank God the 46a was so regular, otherwise I don't think I would have made it!

My friend use to commute from Carlow town to Dublin city centre for a while!

ya gotta do what you gotta do!
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Myth wrote:
    30 Minute Cycle into town (Rathfarnham => Trinity)
    45 Mins home though. Stupid slope.

Shockin ! Dundrum to DCU, 45 minutes on avg. Both ways.

*flexs tree trunk legs*

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Larianne wrote:
    I commuted from just outside Malahide to Dun Laoghaire every day for 2 years when in college. It took nearly 2 hours each way. If it rained it was worse! Thank God the 46a was so regular, otherwise I don't think I would have made it!

My friend use to commute from Carlow town to Dublin city centre for a while!

ya gotta do what you gotta do!
    :o
    Isn't there a train from Malahide to DunLaoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yep, the DART takes about 50 minutes

• Advertisement
Advertisement