Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Anime/Manga?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Anime - the usual suspects

Akira
    GiTS (I, found II a bit disappointing)
    Spriggan
    Voices of a Distant Star
    Blood the Last Vampire
    anything by Miyazaki/Ghibli (my 1-year old daughter just loves Totoro :) - she's starting goood!)

Anime series -

Albator (FR name - can't think of the English one)

Manga -

Akira (full collection in hardback, FR dialogue) - so much better than the film (which would end up 10 hours+ long if it was all in - I wish... :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Anime - Akira, Rumik world (and manga)

Manga - Battle Angel Alita, Maison Ikkoku, Ghost in the shell, Blade of the Immortal (great artwork)

Enjoyed 3X3 eyes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Pixar have stated that they'd love to do a trad animated film...... How sweet would a Pixar/Ghibli collaboration be? Miyazaki and Lasseter.... I mean, Lasseter worships Miyazaki...... (As he should :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ambro25 wrote:
    anything by Miyazaki/Ghibli (my 1-year old daughter just loves Totoro :) - she's starting goood!)
    QUOTE]

Yeah, Totoro's classic...... That catbus though..... What was Miyazaki ON?
    Porco Rosso I THINK is my fave... I know everyone says Spirited Away and, hey, it's fantastic. It won the oscar afterall but for sheer childish fun it's gotta be either Totoro or Porco Rosso for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Emo Kid

Gungrave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

A collaboration between Pixar and Ghibli would be the most amazing thing EVER! Well, presumably!

My favourite Animes are basically anything by Miyazaki, especially Nausicaa and Mononoke!

Also, The Place Promised in Our Early Days in amazing.
    Also a whole menagerie of other titles.

*barRy*

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

ambro25 wrote:
    Anime - the usual suspects

Anime series -

Albator (FR name - can't think of the English one)

Manga -

Akira (full collection in hardback, FR dialogue) - so much better than the film (which would end up 10 hours+ long if it was all in - I wish... :( )

Albator == Space Pirate Captain Harlock, one of Leiji Matsumoto's works in his rather sprawling space opera canon (everything from Galaxy Express, Harlock, Queen Millenia, Emereldas are all related - we must be hitting nearly 20+ distinct titles).

Apparently the Akira anime was made when only books 1-5 worth of manga were completed. The director has stated some regrets on this.

Adding to my favourite manga:
    Nausicaa - imagine the quality of the anime, except with a story 4 times as big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

woW. I just watched grave of the fireflies and i dont think a movie has ever brought me that close to crying ever. big fish was the closest but this was even more so. really sad movie but amazing also. a classic

Akira
    Princess Mononoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

evad_lhorg wrote:
    woW. I just watched grave of the fireflies and i dont think a movie has ever brought me that close to crying ever. big fish was the closest but this was even more so. really sad movie but amazing also. a classic

The saddest movie ive seen in years, (not anime) , is Sekai no Cuchin De Ai wo sakebu - (crying out love from the inside of the world).
    It's a drama (Japanese) totally heart breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Woo.
    Another favourite of mine now is Fruits Basket.
    Oh, colorfull pwns aswell!! Soooo funny.
    If I started this topic, then why didn't I say them all at the beginning? Meh... I don't even get myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nirina

Favourite mangas; Chobits, Peach Girl, Paradise Kiss, Get Backers, Love Hina
    Favourite anime; Dragonball Z, One Piece, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke. (i know, the last two are movies, but they are so wicked! So good!)

anyone else a fan of my fav mangas?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

What a choice! First you’ve got real tearjerkers like ‘Grave of the Fireflies’.:( Beautiful production values, a well paced story that kept me hoping through tear filled eyes right up until the end. That has to make the top five.

Then there’s anime like ‘12 Kingdoms’ that create complete new magical worlds for the characters to explore. And ‘Vision of Escaflowne’ which fulfils all my girlish daydreams (which given that I’m a guy is quite embarrassing! :o )

Berserk kept me guessing. I watched all 25 eps in two days and quickly got swept up in the epic character development, forgetting important plot points until they became vital at the very end. Each and every character is developed – and developed well. Definitely a series that makes you lust for more episode and leaves a lasting impression.

My Neighbour Tottoro instantly made me nostalgic for a childhood that bore little resemblance to my own and I was eerily aware that I was not only watching the movie from a distant, sarcastic viewpoint, but a large part of me was being won over by it’s sweetness and I enjoyed it on a very childish – dare I say innocent – level.:rolleyes:

Perfect Blue – I first saw the English dub, TV edit of this movie and I was blown away by how effective anime was in portraying the main character’s sense of confusion. (One thing to note, however, when I got the DVD version, a lot of the cuts were in different places and, while still very good, lots of the suspense just isn’t present). A violent slasher a cut above the rest!

Cowboy Bebop had some really strong episodes (I’m thinking Episode 5 here) but definitely only the sub version. The dubs ruin it, especially Faye’s character. (I love Faye!!!:p )

Before I go any further off the deep end and star picking apart any more of the hundreds of anime OAVs, shows etc… I’ve seen, I’ll just say that top of my list for many years now has been ‘Serial Experiments Lain’ The version I saw had pretty dodgy subtitles, but the character design was fantastic (ranging from ‘Awww…Lain in her little bear pyjamas’ to ‘Eeeeeek! Lain sitting in front of a huge bank of computer terminals in the dark’). The ending had me thinking for days – not exactly emotional, just pondering the rationality behind the resolution :confused: . (Is that vague enough to avoid spoilers?) Then I went reading up on Lain and, wow, apparently the thing is loaded not just with subtext(some of which I got) but with hardcore philosophy. (see http://www.cjas.org/~leng/open.htm) All I can say is sweet! (and that Wired [or Wi-ard-o] is a cool name for the net. :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

psicic wrote:
    Perfect Blue – I first saw the English dub, TV edit of this movie and I was blown away by how effective anime was in portraying the main character’s sense of confusion. (One thing to note, however, when I got the DVD version, a lot of the cuts were in different places and, while still very good, lots of the suspense just isn’t present). A violent slasher a cut above the rest!

:eek: The DVD version is tampered with?!

I'd love to see Grave Of The Fireflies, they had it in Tower Records when I looked a while ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

my Favourites would have to be Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust,neon genisis Evangalion and princess mononoke

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Hokuto no ken(fist of the north star),initial d ranma plus many others i may post when im not so tried HNK is the best though dam manga only bringing out 36eps shame on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

Well anything by Miyazaki is gold, can't really go wrong with Lupin either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Neo Genisis
    Vampire Hunter D
    Trigun
    Gundm wing
    Kojin
    Akira
    Project AKO...
    Ninja Scroll

All v.good. Any that suck and to be avoided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

mr.noobie wrote:
    Hokuto no ken(fist of the north star),initial d ranma plus many others i may post when im not so tried HNK is the best though dam manga only bringing out 36eps shame on them

Do not be decieved by this! "Fist of the north star requires ileagal substances to even watch let alone like....!!!
    AAAAAHHH!!!! RUNNNN....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

Chobits
    Excel Saga
    Wolfs Raine
    Card Captors
    Sailor Moon!

:confused::confused::confused: "I will have my first legal meal in four days":confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

Lets see bleach, full metal alchemist and naruto are my favorite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Taishi

cowboy bebop and comic party

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Cyber City series, the Bubblegum Crisis series, Patlabor, Battle of the Planets, Akira and Macross Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Currently watching Full Metal Alchemist - getting really into it - whats the manga like?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

battle angel

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Manga - Hellsing
    Animé - Cowboy Bebop

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Currently watching Full Metal Alchemist - getting really into it - whats the manga like?

Pretty good, worth reading I think. I haven't actually seen the anime so I can't compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lillium

Elfen Lied
    Chrono Crusade
    Fulmetal Alchemist
    Inuyasha
    Chobits
    Ah My Goddess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Taishi

full metal alchemist
    jing:king of bandits
    candidate for goddess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 omegoku

Excel Saga both manga and anime
    Evangelion both manga and anime (the manga is better but not finished yet)
    Azumanga Daioh anime (havent read the manga)
    Blade of the Immortal manga
    Dead Leaves anime
    Love Hina manga (havent watched the anime)
    Hellsing manga( The series was crap imo, but the new OVA may be awesome)
    Mahoromatic both manga(better) and anime
    Dragonball manga(the anime is a shallow mockery of this awesome manga)

Advertisement