Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Sourcing boards.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 teac!

How do you think projects come about in the real world?
    You need a "Project leader", someone who controls decision making (like the chair of a meeting) and delegation of jobs.

Coding standards can be created and agreed upon. Variable and function naming standards, indentation, editors to use (or how to make editors conform to outputting the same format of a page). It isn't hard, however you need someone with experience to organise it all, someone who's worked with teams before and who can organise it. Also someone with time.

The level of difficulty of hacking UBB is going to depend on what exactly you want it to do. Depending on how it's written, you might have serious problems changing pieces around, without changing large pieces of core code. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it might be an idea to look at creating your own BB software. Again, you might want to look at how much "reinventing the wheel" you want to do, BB's have been done to death, there are probably solutions out there that fit your needs, however, if not, I'd say go down this road.

I presume it's not viable to change platform even if you wanted to, so PERL might not be the worst solution. Whatever road you go down, your project leader should have vast experience with the platform and language being used as well as experience with actually co-ordinating a group of people. This means that for different languages/platforms you have different potential project leaders.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

I would have some time to help out in this if you want some modifications done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I agree with Phil, we can't just start hacking at the code straight away. We need standards, design docs, test scripts and people to implement all of those, and experienced people to take charge.

I've no project managment or offical design work but I've been a senior developer for a number of years now so I can help out with the design and coordinating the coders as well as writing code. As I've said already I can only give 5 or 6 hours a week to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by teac!:
    How do you think projects come about in the real world?
    You need a "Project leader", someone who controls decision making (like the chair of a meeting) and delegation of jobs.

</font>

Thats what I was getting at. I know exactly how "Real world" projects get done, I'm involved in a few big ones at the moment.

Maybe its time for a mailing list rather then a post to the boards cause the tread is going to grow too big if we start any real discussion.
    Dev and Regi need to decide what they want to do it. I pointed out some of whats been posted already.

The problem that we have here is that we have various people offering to help and all suggesting different things to do. Someone needs to decide what is going to be done, ie Regi and Dev and Cloud, and then we take it from there.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I'm in favour of keeping the current system and tweaking it ... if we started from scratch ... we spend ages just getting the basics like posting editting working ... UBB code while imho is messy gets the job done and perl (don't laugh too hard ronin) is does what we need it too do ... plus by keeping the current system we don't have to lose all the posts and user info either.

like the idea of moving the karma points (horrid system) is not a hack more of a tweak and merely is shuffling a few lines up in the script a bit ... I don't know exactly what your script looks like so can't post exactly what you should do. ...

anyway this will give me something to do in the Lab at UL wink.gif.

consider it giving back to the community after taking so so much smile.gif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

LK I'm all in favour of using whats already in place, thats what I've been saying above, my saying i'd do someit in php is something that'll i'll do myself while i'm watching things compile in work smile.gif..

if it isn't broke don't try fixit. As i said time to become a perl expert wink.gif..

Since its code already there it won't be hard to get the code doing whats needed done. as you say just a matter of chaging the lines which out stuff.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I agree with you on that using the existing body ... you can use PHP to create a new overlay or what not.

Code is there and works for the best part.

Advertisement