Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Sourcing boards.ie

Options
  • 30-06-2001 4:39pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Theres tons I want to do with boards but I just dont have the time/talent...

Would people be interested in starting a group who could have access to the code (its all open source already) and help make small alterations (for example, replacing post count with Karma on the left).

Anyone think this could fly?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Got my vote and I'm game for it.

Who here has experience on Open source projects? I'm only starting to study on it. smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I say it's better to start from scratch than try and hack UBB (even if the license allows that).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've already replied to this on another thread but I'm very interested, I think it's a great idea. I've been looking for a reason to learn perl properly and I do development on my own time so I could give it 5 or 6 hours a week no probs. If it happens count me in! biggrin.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well, I'm not sure I want to throw out all our work to date and start again XOR.

All I want for the moment is to put the Karma count where the post count is...

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the legality of using the UBB code for a base to tweak?

Surely if people are releasing things like the Stars hack and the Karma hack, there must be some flexibility??

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Sounds Cool! You could definetely count me in. Probably wouldn't have much time to devote to it but I'm fairly sure I'd be able to help out here and there.

Aren't there issues with the license tho?

Why not set up a CVS on SourceForge?

As for starting from scratch, a board like this is a pretty big project. Maybe we could have two projects, one for modifying the current setup and another for a complete rewrite. Prolly cause too many problems that...

• Advertisement

Putting Karma where the post count is should be simple. Just rob the code from the profile page that grabs the karma and put it on the thread page. Easy peasy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://infopop.com/services_sign-up/services_sign-up-licenseagree.html
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    SOFTWARE MODIFICATION RESTRICTIONS

License holders may alter or modify this software, at their own risk, of course, but only for their own use. They may also hire others to modify their own copy of the code, as long as the code is not transferred to or retained by the individual who is hired (unless he/she is also a license holder).

Although license holders may modify the code for their use, modified code may NOT be resold or distributed, without express written permission from Infopop™. This prohibition applies to both altered Infopop™ code and any new code developed by license holders specifically for use with the Ultimate Bulletin Board™.
    </font>

I'm not sure whether creating a bazaar around boards.ie would be covered under the licence (problems with distribution and access to the code?). You should probably consult with Infopop before you do it.

As to changing, vBulletin is far more fully-featured, but you would probably run into the same problems. If you really want to do this, you should probably go with something released under the GPL, or a BSD-style licence. Or you could write something yourselves of course, but that would be illogical.

HTH,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Give me shout if want some help, I have experience with most of the stuff you want to do, I might not have as much time as some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Funny you say this as I am currently working on a boards system using asp/xml and a MS SQL backend. I would agree with starting from anew as we could build in features we want and get rid of anything not needed. Hell if it was good enough we could sell it to help out Boards.ie.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Kayos, the idea of selling it for commercial use to provide boards with a bit of cash was one of the reasons I wanted to start from scratch also.

asp/SQL7 wouldn't have been my first choice, but I've worked with it quite a bit, and so have a lot of others around here, so it could be a good choice on that basis alone ...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The problem with SQL 7 is the cost and control-over-the-box needed to set it up...

I like ASP tho...

However the amount of coding needed to get something like that up and running.... phew!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

I was involved in a very similar project a few years ago. I would think that starting from scratch is the only way to go. It may seem like a large task but with proper project managment it could be broken down into very manageable sections.

I may not have much free time but please count me in.

Dev I agree with you about the cost involved with SQL Server but the wya I have it done is all based on ODBC so all I would have to do is port the DB over to you're prefered RDBMS and the asp would stay working. As for the coding for the ASP there is not to much involved at all the display is just a couple of functions to pull the xml up then just merge that with some xsl and viola. But I suppose things like the IP logging would take a while. I'm currently porting my system over to access for a friend of mines site. If you do want to go ahead with this I'll help out as much as I can with any VB/DB work.

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

Don't suppose there'd be anyone interested in doing this in Java? I know there's a lot more ASP-heads in here, but Java is really cool for this kind of thing. Good learning XP too.

Saves on cost also, use any DB, use Tomcat/JServ.

Hows about a vote?

(No flames *please*!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I'm game aswell but don't know it i have the time/talent either for the project. Like hobbes i'm only just getting into open source programming aswell. You could set up a private form on the communites board for the select few that you choose but be careful who u choose and what motives they have.

The idea of release the boards code to a larger developer base can only make boards.ie grow larger and faster and will help making improvements quicker and better. The only thing is that I see you have to do is to develop a set of guidelines that the open source group will have to follow. I know you hate rules but as i see it if you don't you will have a lot of ppl pulling in different directions. It is not like its the same as writing other open src projects where ppl are working towards a defined goal eg. as in writing emulators. It is afterall a website and ppl here will have different design views and will want to make changes to suit there own design styles. Its what happens it you get ppl who haven't worked on ope src project b4.

I know it is in the behind the scenes programming (cgi/perl) that you want ppl for but it is just a thought.

I honestly dont see any cost saving in using Java over ASP. The reason I say this is as far as I know boards.ie is on a IIS server so asp support is there the only cost is the RDBMS but ASP can use any db as long as it has a ODBC driver (these drivers are free unlike some JDBC drivers aint that right phobos!!!). To be honest I dont mind what its done in but I dont think saying Java will be cheaper is a valid reason. BTW this is not a flame I'm just ripping your post apart smile.gif

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

Yah fair enough, I was just thinking that you've got more options with Java, i.e. you're not stuck to anything. Therefore you can host on a Linux server (free) use Apache Tomcat (free) and use MySQL or Postgres (both free). But if boards.ie is on IIS then ASP is definetely the way to go.

I've been writing something similar in Java recently. I'll lob the code up here when it's ready (lost a whole bunch of code last week, disk got mangled).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I'm Game for it ... I've been doing a lot of work on Ikonboard and porting some of them over the UBB in the past.

Personally I think tweak the UBB code ...

Regi ... afaik you can do what the hell you like to the code but it must always be called UBB and have the Infopop Copyright on the bottom.

best idea is to have test board to run the ideas off.

I've been doing a little bit lately with servlets, tomcat, postgresql and the webmacro framework. I like smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think a total redevelopment isn't practical for boards at this moment in time - I don't think any of the promoters can commit that level of time at the present.

However, we'd certainly like to see a test.boards system in place where we can develop new features and tweaks for boards. I'm in the process of creating this, and I'm talking to Infopop about our licence and what we can and cannot do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was thinking more of tweaks and new features than a complete re-write. If it aint broken then don't fix it. I know the Admins do this free and on their own time so I'm sure the help is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Excellent idea.

replacing the whole board in one go isn't going to work, Regi's idea of a test board imho is the way to go.

It shouldn't be too hard to recode the board to do various things.

I'd certainly be interested in helping although what help I'd be is another q.

let me know if you want test.boards.ie setup or someit and I'll edit the zone file for boards.ie

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

/me picks a random passing bandwaggon and jumps on it...

Yeah, I'd be interested in getting my hands dirty in somthing like this.

I think starting from scratch would be a nice idea, although that does involve a lot of work.
    However it could always be a long term project smile.gif

On the other hand you might be able to find somthing else out there under a gnu/bsd licence.
    Such as (for instance) PHP-Nuke which is under the GPL.
    Granted moving to another system like this would be akward, but it might just pay off in the end smile.gif

(Edited for utter lack of UBB skillz)

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was thinking a bit about this last night and reckon that both approaches can be taken.

Have a test.boards.ie which can be used for on going development and testing of UBB.

However, at the same time, have another group writing from scratch a new system. I reckon that Java is the best bet, because as yee say, it is very portable. As is php certainly, but if yee want to sell this, then java might be more robust and better designed for handling different scenarios.

I have a lot of experience with php some with java, not much with jsp but reckon that I could easily enough learn it as i go along. Perhaps get a group going, then pick out a few experienced coders. These people can get together, make a good modular design, and delegate out bits of coding to various others. Anybody can code really, the trick is getting a good design and the not so good programmers can then just follow this design.

Also possible seperate this group into the designer and the coders as well, as regards web design. ( layout etc.. )

Gav

[edit] Apologies, I just saw a post up above with this idea already smile.gif [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Verb (edited 03-07-2001).]

Hmmm splitting up into teams is the best thing to do alright. Personnaly I dont know Java/PHP as I'm a electronics muppet and currently a VB/SQL muppet but my design skills are good and my DB skills are l33t smile.gif so any way I can help let me know.

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

Ok, so we have a certain consensus (we've agreed not to agree smile.gif ).

Dan and I are going to look into a few things and generally sort something out on the "tweak the **** outta UBB" front.

I'm more then happy to advise on the "build a better mousetrap" front but I would be lying to say I have loads of time to invest into it. Of course, anything we can do to help in the way of hosting/sw access, we'll do.

Stay tuned basically!

DeV.

Hmm after talking to regi on irc he was saying that its all mostly cgi/perl so if we are going to continue along the line of using what we have an tweaking it then you all better become perl experts

using phpnuke be a bad idea as its known to have security issues, you'd be better off writing it yourself, be pretty simple actually to write a board in php/mysql../me sees something else to do while in work..

anyhow test.boards.ie is now pointing to the boards ip so time to add another vhost to iis.

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ronin:
    you all better become perl experts
    </font>

What a horrific thought tongue.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    using phpnuke be a bad idea as its known to have security issues
    </font>

Indeed, thats probably why it came to mind when I was posting smile.gif
    I just meant something like it with a decent license for this sort of application.

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I've has a good deal of experience with perl/cgi, and after a bit of playing about with php, I think perl/cgi is far too awkward, especially for a large project such as this.

I'd be interested in getting involved, and I'd recommend against perl/cgi... it's too... um, I dunno. PHP is far nicer to write/debug, in my opinion.

(I worship include() smile.gif

• Advertisement

editing whats already in place shouldn't be too much of an issue. Its just a case of reading the code and looking what it does, then reusing over and over..time to download ubb me thinks and start lookin at the code..

so far suggestions are

1. use what we already have and change it somewhat which would be modifying perl scripts
    2. use php which means going from scrath
    3. java which reminds me of college and all those silly labs..
    4. have 2 groups on working on 1 and another working on a new system.

If it was php it would be better used with apache/tomcat say on a unix server and mysql or postgresql rather then a nt one, purely for ability to control the box.

At this time using what is in existance is the better bet imho. Then think about building either on that or another system from scratch.

On the setting up of two teams, how do you decide who does what and who is assigned to each group. Also with something like this getting loadsa ppl to code stuff tends to mean you've loadsa different styles of code which isn't good. Anyone who's had to read others code and try figure it out will back me up here smile.gif..

Coding something like this in php probs take about a few hours to come up with the basic's then you gotta get error checking which again won't take long..but all the extra nice features might take a while..hmm i think i can see me busy in work for the next few days..

/me can see a meeting on the horizon..

Ro

Advertisement