Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I made this"

Options
  • 04-05-2001 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not really an "applications programmer" as such, - more of a designer and ASP coder. My furthest foray into Windows application programming was a simple currency converter for converting between all the Euro-friendly currencies.

Incidentally, it's available from http://niall.okeeffe.com/cconpro/ smile.gif

So ... what's the handiest little gadget you've ever written, eh?

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

cd players.
    for intel solaris and windows.
    wrote the solaris one because I'd no sound card and the windows one because I wanted to find out how easy it is to do system stuff in nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hmmm let me see will I brang smile.gif

ok I did so thing along the lines for what you've done bard a euro converter for AIB and it got distrubted on a cover disk with the sbp back when the euro rates got fixed (me thinbks its still on the AIB site). Atm I dont really have little gagets big ones yes little ones no....

A bcp util that will bcp a table doing a backup bcp out bcp in new data check data and restore the backup if needed (this was not a cmd file its all code using SQL OLE/DMO)

A SQL Stored Procedure that scripts data out of a table. you just give it a table name and a optional condidtion and it will generate the scripts for you.

After that theres been a good few thing most of which dont count as small...

kayos

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ya - I remember in first year writting a celcius - farenheit (sp?) conversion thingy in Pascal. Added kilo to pound and metre to feet myself - nothing major - but useful.

I also wrote an alarm clock that fired off winamp and played an MP3 of choice to wake you up. It also got louder as it progressed.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

heh, yeah I remember the fahernheit to celsius program in pascal (those were the days), we also had to do a program to manage an esb account system (records). I think it must be a standard thing for all 1st years smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robbie Burke

I wrote a simple Vat calculator for my Mom because..well, you know the way on most sites prices are quoted exc. vat, and with the inc. vat in the tiniest of tiniest of fonts that my mom could not see (she insists on 1024*768 even though she is blind as a bat).

Well, thats it, I also wrote some programs for my brother to figure out ratio's..

i.e, you input the total, say, 20, and then input what rations it had to be in, say, 4:2:3:1 which would then output 8:4:6:2 etc etc, he found it quite useful, I amn't sure if he was meant to be using it though... tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

VB Hangman

l33t

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dav, how could you???

The shame...

Al who never made anything good in his life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

right i refuse to download that on the grounds that I have no more space however, you should turn it into an applet or summat and then have it as a page on the site, now that would be useful, hint, hint.

As for useful things I made not much except the exercises in college, which included a prog to calculate the BMI (body mass index [don't ask me what that is]), also just recently how to count the occurrences of every word in a text file and the byte of set of every occurrence, not useful per se but then again who needs a converter for temperature thingys.

Although robbie burkes two I quite like, quite inventive indeed.

oh oh wait now i remember I made a thing for tachystoscopic speed reading, where the words flash up on the screen forcing you to read faster, I think that it is the future of reading, its in vb so its nicely gui'ed up and all.

Anyway thats about it.

Baz_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Done all the usual college stuff, converters, DBs, calculators. All in VB.
    Wrote a lil Biorythm calculator for my mom in Perl/Tk.
    To be honest I don't really like coding regular applications, I much prefer webapps.

Read Tim O'Reilly's speech on 'Hardware, Software & Infoware' to see what I mean. It should be on XML.com somewhere and it's in the book 'Open Sources' too.

Baz_ Thanks...they are pretty pointless to anyone who is not lazy and can read, but, that don't include my mom and brother so...I also made IR£5 off my brothers one tongue.gif

Heres a questiion for you all, what was the first language you did Hello World! in? Mine was QBasic...years ago.

• Advertisement

Everyone talks about 'the college stuff' what the hell is that? I am only 13 you see, been using pc's since i was 8 and programming since 9 1/2 (started in QBasic, which, even then was years out of date).

So, what the hell is 'the usual college stuff' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The 'usual college stuff' is all the boring crap that you have to do. Things like calculators, converters, DBs. Things a trained monkey could do smile.gif

My first 'Hello World', hmmmm, I did QBasic when I was about 8 but I can't remember ever doing 'Hello World' then. I guess it was in C then, some years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well I liked the fact that my (fairly simple) application got over 1,000 downloads a month from download.com... smile.gif

Fuzzy glow and all that...

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi, im new to these boards and only found them because of the bloddy SNL thing, but im here to stay now.

ive only made 2 (well 3) programs really. 2 of them written for use primiraliy with divx files..the first one will fix a file remotely across the internet, byt transferrring only the differences between 2 files..(needs to be running on both computers though, one with the good file, and one with the bad file) its fixed a gigabyte file, with 10 erros by senings jsut 200k of data..not too bad..
    the other one jsut normalisez any wave file.
    but the last one, i was kinda surprised to find you was the exact same thats the other guy who made hte mp3-alarm clock tihng..by lauching winamp..
    small world..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

oopps forgot to say that that filefixing tihng works for any file...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

A COM object for the windows registry api (in vb), about 3 years ago. I've used it every since only pausing to recompile in VB6. It's well handy.

[edited because of spelling]

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 05-05-2001).]

The MP3 alarm-clock can be done a lot easier by just going into Schedule Manager, setting up a new task to run at say, 7:30AM every morning except saturdayand sunday or whatever, and setting it to execute a MP3 file, or, even an MP3 playlist. Its extremely simple, a lot simpler than writing a program for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cariarer

I think so far its a progi called "Snap-N-Shot" and was/is a Windows 9x recovery tool. Got delivered with Gateway machines from end of 98 till sometime in 2000. Stopped working there, so I don't really know when they stopped supplying it wink.gif Did a lot of other stuff as well, but I think that is my "biggest" one man project so far. If its of intrest, I did it in Delphi and Turbo Pascal (as the tool allows recovery from DOS as well).

Cheers, Cr...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Did a batch file renamer. Lot of files in one directory. Tell the renamer to rename the files with a particular string and it will append numbers of the 01, 02 or 001, 002 or 0001, 0002 variety. Probably not much use. Was going to release it but I discovered it had been done, t-shirt sold etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

A dll for communicating with upto 20 com ports at one time.

Not the most useful dll, unless you have 20 com ports that you want to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The client app for Index.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scorpion

Um.. I skipped the whole 'Hello world' thing and programmed my first text-based adventure game using a BASIC interpreter running on an Atari 800xl when I was about 9/10.. (Cassette tape driven thing)

Never went to college as such so I can't share 'the good ol days' (thankfully) wink.gif

In web developement at the minute, PHP PERL ASP, etc.. Handy practical programs include customised e-commerce systems for various irish companies.. I've no examples, the systems are all user/password based.

That Java applet that was posted on another thead rox. I've been meaning to get into the whole java thing and probably will after I'm comfortable with C/C++.

[This message has been edited by Scorpion (edited 04-06-2001).]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

My first "hello World" was in Basic on an Oric 8k (or was it 4k, the one before the oric atmos).

then went on to things like centipede (from a magazine). Wrote a solar system generator for Traveller (the old black books) and a character creator.

Never did computers in college. Love to learn programming now though.

I'll learn ya lolth if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The most usefull app i ever wrote was written while i was working in a vb company. It was a teeny programming, only a few lines long that did a standard repair on an access database.

Those pesky lil db's screw up all the time and no one ever has a correct version of access at the time wink.gif

Im gonna have to change my avatar ;P

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 09-06-2001).]

Well that'll save me the job anyway wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

A few months back I developed an very solid E-commerce system using Java + J2EE (XML, Servlets, EJBs). It comprised of a 4 tier architecture that I got to run over several remote locations for testing purposes (performance reasons).

It had a web front end, which I wrote using DHTML (web front end is easily maintained), web server using servlets to handle web client transaction processing, application server containing several EJBs (modeled the business logic), and finally the fourth tier SQL server / Cloudscape.

Handy tool, it really showed the power of J2EE and distributed computing.

;-phobos-)

PS: Ya, your right Dav, Al; the whole arithmetic programs were a big hit in first year. But fortunately for us we were bangin those programs in to our Commodore64 BASIC command line interpreters. Christ I think it was back then I realised I wanted to be a programmer.

SOB &.(..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

My first "Hello World" was written in Basic for the Amstrad CPC 464 which was an amazing piece of machinery in its day. It had it's own monitor and built in cassette player and cost about £600 in 1985(ish). I then went on to write a Share Dealing Game (which I thought was cool at the time). It took me ages but helped me decide I wanted to work with computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Used Amiga Basic (yea, sounds bad) for my first "hello world", "temperature conversion" and "lottery number generating" programs. Took a big ten year break before I got back to programming again on the typicall college stuff - c c++ java.

Done two biggish things since then, an applet which streams a wav file from your disk and sends it to a remote linux server which encodes it for you and streams it back. Pain in the hole trying to make netscape/iexplorer write to your disk from applets - but it can be done without having to buy a security certificate wink.gif

Second was an framework for writting seti@home style programs (no gui support - command line linux). You as the end user would only need to write the "work" part of the operation - the underlying dispersion of jobs is automatic.

Now working on an exciting game project, a massively multiplayer strategy game - aiming for 30,000 users; with games lasting many months.

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Oh my...

First took a shine to programming on the gorgeous (Back then) Spectrum 128k and the Commodore 64...

Wrote several text adventures with the usual RPG rolling systems and tried my hand at C-Basic induced animation, but left all that when I hit eight years of age... It all came back to haunt me in my IT course when we had to try C++

I hope to take up Software developement some time, but as of now, Im just a bystander to the growing world of programming...

Advertisement