Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Poker Tour & the Red Cow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

BigDragon wrote:
    Me
    were you in seat 9 ? red t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

brianon wrote:
    were you in seat 9 ? red t?

Seat 8 Black long sleeve TShirt. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

ah yes. I was in seat 7, navy sweatshirt.
    I was the guy who played...very few hands :)

Crap cards I got all night. Thats my excuse anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Dub13 wrote:
    What part of the city are you in...?may be able to help with a lift.
    thanks a lot paul, just saw yer post now :)

played online and lost some money instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Well done Neil "lucky" Duggan.(long black haired dude,plays all the big cash games in the fitz)Picked up €4750 plus €250 ticket.
    Derek Slattery in second and Alan Vard (played a brillant tournament,his AJ was beaten by Neil's A9 when down to three)
    Well aware of some players interpetation of the phrase "double Chance", management clearly announce in advance of tournament the exact structure of tournament.See previous post below.

I'm well aware of the double chance meaning with regards to getting 50% chips at start and 50% when u go bust. I believe the Lido in Amsterdam was the first to introduce it a few years back. Then I noticed the English took it up. This is why I explain fully at all my tournaments what I mean by double-chance in advance. To date it has completely understood by all players. It is simple english and that I believe suits exactly the actual structure that my tournament is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I'm well aware of the double chance meaning with regards to getting 50% chips at start and 50% when u go bust. I believe the Lido in Amsterdam was the first to introduce it a few years back. Then I noticed the English took it up. This is why I explain fully at all my tournaments what I mean by double-chance in advance. To date it has completely understood by all players. It is simple english and that I believe suits exactly the actual structure that my tournament is.

Double chance in poker terms means you get 50% of your chips at the start and can take the other 50% anytime between the first hand and a set time usually 3 levels. Anybody new to poker may not realise this but you are kidding yourself if you think advertising a rebuy as a double chance is clear, upfront and honest. Your 'actual structure' is a rebuy and you should not use any other words.

I hear your tournaments are run well. Why can you not market them honesty?

I'm totally in agreement that the term of "double chance" has being used to describe a tournament where you get 50% of your chips at the start and 50% at a later stage as you can see from my posts. However I am describing a tournament with one chance only to re-buy as a "double chance", as I think it more suitable than calling it a re-buy(as there is only one). I dont believe this to be dishonest as it's intention is not to mislead people. It is describing the mechanics of tournament. I will make this more clear in any advertisements for the future that there is just the one re-buy. I dont see any TM on the words, and I'm wondering why you would be so dogmatic, or was it yourself that invented the term, and you see this as a insult.

The pokerstars player Hamman is from co.clare. I believe He is the most successfull on-line player certainly in Ireland and possibly in Europe. His cousin plays galway events(dead sound bloke). Anyway if you atre trying to get in touch with him I can get you a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I'm totally in agreement that the term of "double chance" has being used to describe a tournament where you get 50% of your chips at the start and 50% at a later stage as you can see from my posts. However I am describing a tournament with one chance only to re-buy as a "double chance", as I think it more suitable than calling it a re-buy(as there is only one). I dont believe this to be dishonest as it's intention is not to mislead people. It is describing the mechanics of tournament. I will make this more clear in any advertisements for the future that there is just the one re-buy. I dont see any TM on the words, and I'm wondering why you would be so dogmatic, or was it yourself that invented the term, and you see this as a insult.

I never said it was an insult to me. I said it was misleading, as it is. Any regular tournament player will mis-interpret it. As you (uneccessarily sarcasticly) say, it is not trademarked, but it has a common usage in the poker community. Whether it is one rebuy or unlimited rebuys it is still a rebuy event.

From a financial point of view you are losing money by marketing this way. Poker players who play on a strict budget will only bring what they think they need to play an event. If they think it is a double chance they may not bring rebuy money.

At the end of the day Fintan it has nothing to do with me and you can market it any way you like. At the moment you are the only kid on the block and although you run a good event it is the small things like this and the transparency of the prize pool issue that will hinder you when a competitor springs onto the scene.

As I've said, I will change all advertising for the future to display re-buy for the re-buy events, while still using the term "double chance".
    Thanks for your imput, my sarcasm was meant as a joke. You have a valid point, and I'm probably crazy trying to change tradition. However if I'm upfront and clear I dont see why I should'nt try.
    On the issue of the prizefund I can now confidently say it is 100% transparent. All players who have partiscipated in our tournaments can verify this.
    Anyhow, come along to the "double chance" re-buy satellite event 21April in the Red Cow, and let me know what you think.
    Fintan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement