Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 newsflash regarding the pope

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

p~b wrote:
    some people down the country only have 3 channels

luckily for them TV3 is the one thats missing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes it was unprofessional, however as it was pointed out, they would have liked to have been the first to report the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yes it was unprofessional, however as it was pointed out, they would have liked to have been the first to report the news.
    Indeed. Might as well have broadcast it last Christmas though for all the accuracy it had. They'd have been first then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Last night, I was watching television, when RTÉ went to the Nine o Clock News at 20:57, to announce the death of the Pope. I started flicking around the different channels, interested in seeing how quickly they'd respond to the story and interrupt their schedule. TV3 were showing the appalling 'The Swan' thrash, with semi-naked, plastic bimbos prancing around in a 'swimsuit contest', when a banner appeared at the bottom of the screen, announcing the death of the Pope and that a 'TV3 News Report' would follow shortly. They couldn't even be bothered interrupting such a vacuous load of thrash, to bring us news about the death of one of the world's most important leaders. The death had been confirmed by the Vatican, so they weren't just 'playing it safe' and biding their time. At TV3, the first priority is earning money and providing any kind of public service couldn't be further from their minds. Their complete lack of professionalism or competance of any description is a sickening disgrace and they shouldn't be allowed to broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Oh, lets face it.

Who here actually tunes into TV3 for the sole sake of watching the news?
    RTE is for news, TV3 is and was always meant to be for Entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Ray777 wrote:
    At TV3, the first priority is earning money and providing any kind of public service couldn't be further from their minds. Their complete lack of professionalism or competance of any description is a sickening disgrace and they shouldn't be allowed to broadcast.

Every business has that as their first priority.
    Sure they don't see a penny from the TV license do they ?
    RTE 1/2 do and they show massive amounts of tripe aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

TV3 is a complete waste of the airwaves. They have contributed nothing to Irish society and provide nothing original, in terms of programming. Almost every single programme they screen, is available elsewhere. The fact that they don't possess an ounce of creativity means that if they were to be given license fee funding, they would most likely purchase even more cheap American or British light-entertainment, rather than begin providing shows of their own.

From what I can see, the only purpose TV3 serves, is making RTÉ look less crap than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Any purely commercial channel in Ireland paid for by advertising is going to show almost entirely crap.

Ray777 wrote:
    From what I can see, the only purpose TV3 serves, is making RTÉ look less crap than it actually is.

RTE look less crap, are you mad ?
    What about selling shows to channel four only to have it come back and bite you in the ass, by turning out to be one of the best Irish shows ever.
    Big boo boo I'll never let RTE live down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is not one single thing that I watch on TV3 and im sure alot of people will say the same. Plenty I watch on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ste- wrote:
    What about selling shows to channel four only to have it come back and bite you in the ass, by turning out to be one of the best Irish shows ever.
    I assume you refer to Father Ted? Anyway, what makes you think that Fr Ted would have been as good if RTE were behind it? I reckon the show may have been **** if RTE had went with it.

byte wrote:
    I assume you refer to Father Ted? Anyway, what makes you think that Fr Ted would have been as good if RTE were behind it? I reckon the show may have been **** if RTE had went with it.

I disagree, a good programme is a good programme no matter what station it's shown on imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

He ment that if RTE had backed it the quality might not have been the same. Ch4 have alot more experince with making that type of program.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rew wrote:
    He ment that if RTE had backed it the quality might not have been the same. Ch4 have alot more experince with making that type of program.
    Yup, that's what I meant. I should have worded it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ste- wrote:
    I'm unaware of any such show. Before you start never letting RTE live it down, are you sure you're not thinking of the myth that RTE were ever offered any sort of option on Father Ted at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yes, I have to agree with Sceptre, it is indeed a myth that Father Ted was offered to RTE and they turned it down, it never happened.

I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Shamrok wrote:
    Their "Newsflash" was broadcast on Friday night, Dave, not last night. Very poor.

Oops!!

Advertisement