Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 newsflash regarding the pope

Options
  • 01-04-2005 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

A newsflash popped up on tv3 between 8 and 8:30 stating that the pope had died. I turned the 9'o clock news on rte and he was still alive,albeit gravely ill. How could they make such an error!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They said it had been reported but unconfirmed that he had died. Still unprofessional, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

poor journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Even if they said it was reported but unconfirmed, they should still check their facts. I was watching TV3 at the time, and they gave the impression that it was definite that he was dead, when he wasn't at all.

They are such idiots. Professional people don't go doing a special broadcast on something that is unconfirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Professional people don't go doing a special broadcast on something that is unconfirmed
    This is what I can't understand. Very bad to do a newsflash to broadcast spurious unconfirmed claims. This would be fine for their main news story. A newsflash to me is always something very serious and more to the point, completly factual

just think of the people down the country who dont have sky news who were told he was dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Maybe it was just a April Fools Joke. For God's sake dont take jokes so seriously. Sure they're bringing the news up to the minute! Of course they're will be errors!

Anyway he probably died days ago... and the vatican are just seeing how long until people realise that when he gets out to his window and says nothing and doesnt really move ... its because he's dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

p~b wrote:
    just think of the people down the country who dont have sky news who were told he was dead.

why would it matter if they were down the country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It was announced on Italian TV that he was dead, earlier. They must've got it from there. But he is alive. They probably thought it was true because italian tv would know first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

they are some tools , hes not even dead , complete idiots , I wouldnt like radio kilkenny saying i was dead if i wasnt especially on a weekend , weekdays would`nt be too bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Maybe it was just a April Fools Joke.

because we know everyone in this vast majority of Catholics country would love that joke ?

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    why would it matter if they were down the country ?

some people down the country only have 3 channels

I was like i wish he wasnt dead and what do ya know hes alive , god loves me :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TV3 news is tabloid standard at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

TV3 said that they were getting unconfirmed reports from Italian media that he died, the same Italian media that reported the Pope was in a coma. Its the Italians we shouldnt be trusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Big Ears wrote:
    because we know everyone in this vast majority of Catholics country would love that joke ?

Yes!! Exactly, most of this pop. couldnt give two craps... at least i give one!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

CNN ran the same newsflash, then ran one saying the Vatican had denied it.

Arabel wrote:
    TV3 said that they were getting unconfirmed reports from Italian media that he died, the same Italian media that reported the Pope was in a coma. Its the Italians we shouldnt be trusting.

Its not just this coverage thats bad its everything they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

p~b wrote:

Some people in Dublin only have 3 channels. NTL and Sky are not exclusive to the Pale!

Dac51 wrote:
    Some people in Dublin only have 3 channels. NTL and Sky are not exclusive to the Pale!

what i ment was that some people can only get 3 channels in the coutry unlike in dublin where u can get most channels

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Big Ears wrote:

rofl ;)
    Anyway...at the very least TV3 could have checked out cnn.com and bbcnews.com before posting up a newsflash.
    I'd have to agree its very unprofessional indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

p~b wrote:
    Some people in Dublin don't have houses.

Your point?

muppet

SyxPak wrote:
    Some people in Dublin don't have houses.

Your point?

muppet
    heh funny but not for the people obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Anyway he probably died days ago... and the vatican are just seeing how long until people realise that when he gets out to his window and says nothing and doesnt really move ... its because he's dead!

heh... Weekend at JP's

Arabel wrote:

yep, these are the guys who who gave us papparazzi!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Cabaal wrote:
    rofl ;)
    Anyway...at the very least TV3 could have checked out cnn.com and bbcnews.com before posting up a newsflash.
    I'd have to agree its very unprofessional indeed

Maybe they didn't as they wanted to be the first with the story.
    It was bad journalism I agree but mistakes happen get over it.

No mistakes this time they have confirmed that he has died...

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddyman10000

p~b wrote:
    what i ment was that some people can only get 3 channels in the coutry unlike in dublin where u can get most channels

That statement is completely wrong. There is no part of the country where you can only get 3 channels. In Dublin you can get cable tv, that's not available outside. BUT you can get sky digital (like me) anywhere in the country. Then you have hundreds of channels. Way more than you get with just cable tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

They thought he was going to die within a few hours of their news flash so they could say that they were "first with the news" that the pope had died....its what the media do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

He died at 8:37 GMT so they weren't that off in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Dave wrote:
    Their "Newsflash" was broadcast on Friday night, Dave, not last night. Very poor.

• Advertisement

Dave wrote:

There were 24 hours, 7 mins off.

Advertisement