Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PaddyPower Poker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

:p ...

Still would prefer to click through on Pizza banners rather than the Irish Open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Hi,
    I like the ppp interface but i think it would be good if there was a couple of extra seconds delay on the turn card before the rivercard is flipped over as it would A.) Let everyone absorb what everyone has and whats needed and B.) It would add to the excitement.
    Also i think it would be good if everyones last move in the current hand is written above or beside their avatar?.

Thanks
    Rounders123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Hi,
    I like the ppp interface but i think it would be good if there was a couple of extra seconds delay on the turn card before the rivercard is flipped over as it would A.) Let everyone absorb what everyone has and whats needed and B.) It would add to the excitement.
    Also i think it would be good if everyones last move in the current hand is written above or beside their avatar?.

Thanks
    Rounders123

I fully respect your right to have an opinion but delaying the turn of cards especially on the river can be disasterous, especially if there's big money involved. There have been numerous threads about beliefs in all sorts of software carry on whenever there's a delay in the turn of a card. Being naturally paranoid myself I hate delays and suspect armaggedon when there is one. So no delays please, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

I wouldn't mind seeing my passed cards shown somewhere on the screen as the hand goes on without me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

fixer wrote:
    I wouldn't mind seeing my passed cards shown somewhere on the screen as the hand goes on without me.

I'm fairly sure it already does this. But thinking about what cards you just folded shouldn't be an issue... you fold them for a reason and once they're gone, they're gone. When you're not playing a hand, do you not study what everyone else is doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

fixer wrote:

They are shown in the bottom right corner :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

OhPinchy wrote:
    Having been quite happy with Betfair over the last few months I played my first game on PaddyPower Poker as I was having trouble logging onto Betfair.

I wasnt impressed with PPP at all at all I have to say - registration was confusing, it was only due to having seen it mentioned here that I copped you needed to register a separate poker account to your main PP account.

I didn't like the layout of the list of tables either - could the Sit and Gos not be broken down into groups of 'Normal STT', 'Speed STT', 'SnG' etc. Also, why is there only 9, not 10, players per table?

I find the layout of the board very distracting - too many colours going on with all them avatars being displayed. Is there anyway to turn off the avatars so you dont have to see the clutter?

Is there any counter showing you your remaining move time ticking down (maybe I'm missing something)?

I also found it quite confusing that when I thought I was raising a bet of 200 to 500, and I typed in '500' it actually raised the 200 by 500 and so I bet 700 in total.

When I bet 1500 why does it show me a 1k chip and a 500 chip and not show the total figure? I find it a bit annoying having to tot up how much chips my opponents have bet.

So maybe theres some options I could tick to modify the above behaviour to my liking but I couldn't find them. Before anyone says quit your bitchin and you don't have to play there if you don't want to - dont worry I won't play there, but as there is a PP Pitboss as a regular poster I thought he might appreciate the feedback and maybe point out a few things I may have overlooked.

Pinchy, I had much the same experience as you when I opened my account on PPP. A Betfair veteran, I just didn't like change but a few weeks on and I'm hooked! It is a superior site in design and more importantly, stability.

Another advantage PPP have over Betfair is the Manager Chat. I've never had to wait longer than 30 seconds for an answer.

There are plenty of MTT's and the STT's fill up within minutes.

However, there are a few things which bug me and I know some have been discussed.

The 72 hr wait to clear funds.. Why do PPP enforce this when no other poker site does? Is it specific to Irish Law? Could this not be changed for an account by allowing the individual to sign up to some sort of agreement with PPP in regards to money laundering? Also, there is a maximum daily withdrawal amount - even after your money has cleared!! There must be a way around this. I never had hassle with Betfair. It is over a week since I attempted to withdraw from PPP and I have yet to see the funds back on my CC.. It's as if PPP are keen to keep your money floating around in their bank accounts!! :)

To changeover or indeed to play with us also. You need to simply download the software from www.paddypowerpoker.com and then register a poker account. If you are a member of any other Tribeca site when you proceed to "Set up a real money account" you will receive an error message telling you "you already have an account on this computer..." ping a manager tell them you are vc and you want to be PP they will unlock your account. And you proceed from there to set up a real money account. Or you ask me and i will gladly do it for you! ;0)

Do i take it PPP and VC are affiliated?. I have a ppp account but is this the reason why when i tried to download the VC software and install it an ERROR message came up and i wasnt able to proceed?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Do i take it PPP and VC are affiliated?. I have a ppp account but is this the reason why when i tried to download the VC software and install it an ERROR message came up and i wasnt able to proceed?.
    Yep. They are both on the Tribeca network of sites. The only disadvantage with only having a PPP account is that you can't use Neteller to transfer money in and out of it. If you just want to use other methods of moving money then PPP is probably better than VC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

Alright ocallagh - yeh I've played on PPP a couple more times and dont dislike it as much as at first, but for me the Betfair UI is way better as theres less clutter and distracting avatars alongside player names. I find the avatars really distracting and I don’t know why theres no option to turn them off. Pit Boss – how hard would it be to but in an option that says ‘Display Avatars? Yes/No’ and if I select No it will just show me a black box where the avatars would be? Reckon you’ve got about an hour of dev time, and an hours testing and you’re done.

But my major gripe with PPP is the way the bet amounts are so confusing. On Betfair when a player bets a stack of chips (all of the same value) is put in front of them and the total amount is shown under the stack – I don’t have to do anything (i.e. tally it up or hover over it) to count their bet. When chips are added to the pot it shows a cumulative total – again the player should not have to tally up the pot themselves. On Betfair lets say were on the river and a guy bets 1000 in front of me. I can easily glance at the pot and see there is 4000 in it already, so with the added 1000 I’m getting 5-1 odds. On PPP I have to tally up or hover over the guys bet to get a count.

My work has involved doing usability audits of web sites and applications and I can say that Betfair beats PPP on this front hands down. Before adding an object to a UI ask yourself ‘does it need this and if so, why?’. If you then chose to add non-essential items anyway make sure you can include an option for the user to remove them (similar to always having a ‘Skip’ option on flash web page intros, and giving an option to view toned down versions of flashy sites) – players like myself are interested in the cards and the chips only and find all the additional colours on screen distracting.

I know that in live poker there is no running counter for the current pot total but when designing an application its always best to ask ‘why should the user have to do this and can we automate it for them?’. For this reason it would be best to automatically clearly display bet totals and pot totals.

As mentioned before, I also don’t like the lobby – if I want to look for No Limit Hold’em STTs I think there should be a separate section for Speed and Turbo tournaments as it just makes the list I have to scroll through longer.

I really would prefer to use PPP because I would be happier giving my rake to an Irish company but I find that the cluttered screen and lack of automatic bet counts really wreck my head and I make more money on the Betfair tables as theres less distractions so I can focus on the poker. If these features were changed I would gladly move over to PPP as the other aspects of it (customer service especially) seem pretty good, though I would echo the concerns about the complicated withdrawal process.

• Advertisement

Imposter wrote:
    Yep. They are both on the Tribeca network of sites. The only disadvantage with only having a PPP account is that you can't use Neteller to transfer money in and out of it. If you just want to use other methods of moving money then PPP is probably better than VC.

Im not really in it for the transfer of funds reasons i just want to play. When i got asked VC support they gave me a list of 100 things i must do which i cant understand unless I.T background. I dunno i got exasperated trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Im not really in it for the transfer of funds reasons i just want to play. When i got asked VC support they gave me a list of 100 things i must do which i cant understand unless I.T background. I dunno i got exasperated trying.
    Neteller is handy if you have multiple poker accounts and you want to transfer money around the accounts instead of keeping pretty large sums at all sites (if you had it).

If you just want to play, like you say, then realistically you only need a PPP account. Most of the tables are the same. I've been on VC quite a while now and none of their VC only games (only ones I noticed were satellites, although they may not have been VC only!) interest me.

Thanks.
    Im opening a pokerstars account tomorrow as i hear they have better tournaments and satellites and cashing out is quicker.
    Yeah thanks for the neteller info. It would help then as there is less wait involved than depositing& withdrawing in the normal way.

Advertisement