Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Who

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

lmao, haha.....u made me laugh wiv ur OMG OMG thing. I didn't say it dat many times, like OMG, lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Skyuser wrote:
    lmao, haha.....u made me laugh wiv ur OMG OMG thing. I didn't say it dat many times, like OMG, lol..

I'm like, totally, put in my place. Go watch horny housewives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ouch, Cat fight!

John

mycroft wrote:
    I'm like, totally, put in my place. Go watch horny housewives.
    Take a chill man, u gettin worked up about nothin....u may have anger management problems

Skyuser wrote:
    Take a chill man

Whats a chill, man? And how would i go about ingesting said "chill".

You're the one who posted originally, tell using it was crap, I'm giving you my opinion about your opinion.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    Whats a chill, man? And how would i go about ingesting said "chill".

You're the one who posted originally, tell using it was crap, I'm giving you my opinion about your opinion.
    with plenty of aggression

Skyuser wrote:
    with plenty of aggression

aw, does diddums need a huggle?
    Skyuser wrote:
    Dr. Who is total crap

Someone who came onto the thread with that piece of measured, well thought out criticism, backed up with coherant specific points, wearing that AV, getting all prissy about a wee flaming, should scurry away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I thought it a little irresponsable of dummy makers to install hidden loaded shotguns in the arms of shop manikens. Wouldn't kick the ginger one from desperate housewives out of bed for eating biscuts (unless they were rich tea, those biscuts bug me big-style)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just watched the first two episodes last night. Very enjoyable me thinks... second one being better than the first.

I'm not the mad Doctor Who fan, but I was pleased to see they don't take themselves too seriously - good few laughs throughout and they managed to keep it all fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

yeah, the 1950s iPod and Britney Spears being considered classical music was a good larff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

WRT the previous poster complaining that it is aimed at kids - so was the original!

also I don't think the 12 regenerations thing will cause the BBC any problems, pretty easy to write around it and anyway there is no direct link between this series and the previous ones. Its as much a remake as a continuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

loyatemu wrote:
    WRT the previous poster complaining that it is aimed at kids - so was the original!

also I don't think the 12 regenerations thing will cause the BBC any problems, pretty easy to write around it and anyway there is no direct link between this series and the previous ones. Its as much a remake as a continuation.
    the regeneration issue is one of the core parts of the mythos of doctor who; it would be like deciding the tardis doesnt have to be apolic box...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

the regeneration issue is one of the core parts of the mythos of doctor who; it would be like deciding the tardis doesnt have to be apolic box...
    Well it doesn't have to be a police box, does it? It just got broken in the first episode and stuck like that. I'm sure he'll get around to fixing it's transformation ability at some stage.

The Master's time machine was still able to transform wasn't it? I'm sure I've seen him climb inside grandfather clocks and lamp posts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it doesn't have to be a police box, does it? It just got broken in the first episode and stuck like that. I'm sure he'll get around to fixing it's transformation ability at some stage.
    Well he did fix it in "Logopolis" I believe. Just for the one story. 'Course he had to regenerate as a result and then it broke again but still. It was just one of those things the Doctor meant to do - repear the chameleon circuit (or cloaking service if you listen to the TV movie..). FWIW, if you want to be a big fan-boy about it, the Doctor fixed it again in the spinoff novels and it was working perfectly for a few books. The Doctor only then destroyed the working circuit because he wanted to restore the old feel of the TARDIS after a series of harrowing adventures.
    The Master's time machine was still able to transform wasn't it? I'm sure I've seen him climb inside grandfather clocks and lamp posts.
    You have. His works (when he has one) as did the Meddling Monk's. I'd love to see the Compassion models from the books but again it's not gonna happen...

Well it doesn't have to be a police box, does it? It just got broken in the first episode and stuck like that. I'm sure he'll get around to fixing it's transformation ability at some stage..
    no it doesn't, it is part of the whole mythology and eccentricity behind the show...

btw, I stopped reading the books after they started charting the 8th doctor's adventures - was the master returned in them after "dying" in the TV movie, or is he now officially "dead" ?

btw, I stopped reading the books after they started charting the 8th doctor's adventures - was the master returned in them after "dying" in the TV movie, or is he now officially "dead" ?
    He lives. In fact, as far as I know, he's one of those Time Lords that surived Gallifrey's destruction. Be nice to see that detail worked into the show! (It was never stated explicitly that he lived, just inferred).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well
    The description for Episode 11 is ""The Doctor comes across someone he thought was long dead. Uh-oh!""

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

ixoy wrote:
    He lives. In fact, as far as I know, he's one of those Time Lords that surived Gallifrey's destruction. Be nice to see that detail worked into the show! (It was never stated explicitly that he lived, just inferred).
    wait, did the destruction occur during the books or did you just reveal a big fat spoiler from the new TV series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭fibbo

I need closure on the destruction of gallifray

Stark wrote:
    Well
    The description for Episode 11 is ""The Doctor comes across someone he thought was long dead. Uh-oh!""

Stark n Ioxy the whole Russell T Davis, gay guys liking the doctor thing is getting kinda weird. Kinda good n funny weird but weird none the less.

I loved tonights episode great plausible sci fi, historical characters, zombies. Well done and creatively put together. Its family tv and imagintively done, with several brilliant touches. I know if I'm buying the dvds to scare my children senseless

My dad taped moonraker and using our first vhs player used to play the bit where jaws chased bond around the egyptian ruins to freak the f*ck outa me, esp when football was on. I need revenge.

• Advertisement

wait, did the destruction occur during the books or did you just reveal a big fat spoiler from the new TV series?
    It occured during the books - namely "The Ancestor Cell". There's a number of books after it, many of which I haven't read. The final installment - which cleans up the Gallifrey storyline - occurs in a book that's only released in May/June by Lance Parkin. That may be so as not to take away from the series or may not be. We'll see. I still think they'll ignore it and use the Daleks...
    Mycroft wrote:
    Stark n Ioxy the whole Russell T Davis, gay guys liking the doctor thing is getting kinda weird. Kinda good n funny weird but weird none the less.
    Well the Doctor does high camp very well, so I guess that may be an explanation - it's quite over the top, particularly when Tom Baker was running around. Coupled with low production values, you had to appreciate its zaniness. Maybe that's its appeal to gay men more so than other sci-fi (which I personally love anyway - after all I am the Stargate mod!)

tonights ep was excellent. the whole 45s till aliens destroy the earth and the british govt have provided the Un with proof, was sheer brillance. As were the aliens (whose cgi movement was well done so well demostrating by how bad the rubber suits looked n moved) maybe suggesting they should ditch teh rubber suits and cgi the whole damn thing. And leaving aside the dodgy buffalo nonsense (the internet made stupid for a family audience. The relationship stuff was v well done, the banter excellent. The cliffhanger really sorted quickly and excellently, and the trailer for next week left me wanting more.

mycroft wrote:
    (whose cgi movement was well done so well demostrating by how bad the rubber suits looked n moved) maybe suggesting they should ditch teh rubber suits and cgi the whole damn thing.

Actually on Doctor who confidential(repeated on BBC3 at 745 tonight) theres interviews with the people in those suits and how they work,they are actually 10ft tall and have motors in the arm.
    Theres a girl in one of them who had her suit modified slightly so she could wiggle her bum and walk all girly like :D
    Theres a good piece on all the special effects used and interviews with past doctors.

Earthman wrote:
    Theres a girl in one of them who had her suit modified slightly so she could wiggle her bum and walk all girly like :D

Okay, the rest of us fancy billie piper, you sick puppy.

[edit]

my girlfriend just watched the ep, she announced after watching next week's trailer that "the dalek doesn't look that scary"

I have to go now, the taxi is at the door, and i need to find my overnight bag, I'll be back tomorrow to pick up the rest of my stuff

[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ohh! That was a bit creepy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Twas creepy but I thought the special effects weren't very good at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

John Barrowman's character = very annoying.

Actually, scrap that. The character would probably be ok, it's just John Barrowman who is annoying

Advertisement