Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Who

Options
  • 26-03-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this? It was better than I thought it's be, funny stuff. There was a clip with Simon Pegg (of spaced fame) on Johnathon Woss yesterday, anyone know who he is going to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Will it be repeated (like late at night with sign-language)?
    Missed the first 15 minutes.

Heard there was no regeneration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

yeah i seen it, i really enjoyed it. Next week looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spacedog wrote:
    There was a clip with Simon Pegg (of spaced fame) on Johnathon Woss yesterday, anyone know who he is going to play?
    Nope.. don't know who he'll play.

But he won't be in it til Episode 7 (broadcast on May 7th).

See here: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Seen it as well, for some reason. I'm not a massive fan of Doctor Who, in fact this is the first full episode i've ever watched, but i thought that it was good all the same. I'm definatly going to be watching this over the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Heard there was no regeneration?

Nope, there was no regeneration.

I thought it was pretty good - the whole thing felt a bit rushed because of the amount of exposition involved. It's a shame that the BBC didn't see fit to having a two part opener, or a slightly longer one. Still, it's got potential - it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Why was Graham Norton talking during the first 20 minutes of it? I thought that was hilarious. Have it sky plused so I must record it and back it up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ah the best is yet to come. Seen the next four Episodes in work. It looks good.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, bit of a mood killer when Billie went into the room with the plastic people - all quite and rather eerie - only to hear some applause seeping through from Norton's show!

What was going on there... could anyone make out what he was saying?

Noise seeping Through? What?

John

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lump wrote:
    Lucky kunt! That is all..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

noelrock wrote:
    Yeah, bit of a mood killer when Billie went into the room with the plastic people - all quite and rather eerie - only to hear some applause seeping through from Norton's show!

What was going on there... could anyone make out what he was saying?
    Apparently some noise leaking over. There's a big thread on it on Digitalspy.co.uk. It wasn't in all BBC regions though. It seems it might hav to do with the tech. used to switch between programs. It was quite distracting...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Lump wrote:

John

Yeah John talk about touting for the BBC :D ,missed first episode so feck that.Any repeats on BBC2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Moe79

Yeah the Graham Norton talking was weird.. at first I thought it was part of the show!

I'm similarly not too knowledgable of the Doctor Who thing, but I watched tonight purely to see what all the spectacular fuss was about it. It was pretty enjoyable, although it would have been nice to see them explain how the doctor keeps changing faces..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

When i heard the crowd going off when she was in the basement, i actually thought the janitor or somebody was watching a tv or something. Wasn't until i heard Graham Norton talking when she was being attacked that i realised it was a tech fault.

I dont understand how it's a technical fault.... It was filmed months ago and tech reviewed since then. It must have been a problem with BBC Broadcast again I dont know how that can happen, as the broacasting is server based.

John

Yeah it was 'noise' seeping through from the previous broadcast which was live... seems as though someone in audio mixing screwed up.

I'll quiz them tomorrow. I don't think technically it can happen...

John

"Mod: Audio-Video Editing,"

Ha. Just noticed that :) you're the expert out of the two of us so I'll take your word for it... let me know if you hear of any conclusion on the issue, it's a bit of a high profile blunder for the BBC.

Will do, I doubt anyone will be around tomorrow. The reason I dont think it could happen is because live shows go straight to the transmitter. Recorded shows come off the server, neither systems are connected.

John

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It was pretty enjoyable, although it would have been nice to see them explain how the doctor keeps changing faces..

I'm sure poor old Paul McGann didn't feel like coming on for 5 seconds then dying ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I wasn't expecting much. But I thought it was very good. And I'm sure it will get alot better now it has the pilot out of the way.

The problem with the sound was pretty bad. It was the most tense scene in the episode and Graham Norton starts yapping away.

Also I thought the sound effects and music were far too noisey. It was very hard to make out the dialogue in parts. Particularly
    the exchange between the doctor and the alien entity at towards the end, I'm still not entirely sure why it got so suddenly angry as I couldn't make out what the Doctor was saying.

oh.... and the photoshop work was pretty terrible on the pictures of the Doctor through history.

From the BBC Staff message boards
    Seems the Omnibus automation system lost track of a fader and allowed TC8's output to air several times before it was corrected. I know we trust automation systems in all our news output these days but I'm amazed there's no overide once a junction is out of the way so that gremlins can't interupt a live transmission. What if that burst of applause had gone out over a royal funeral?

It can only get worse with less technical staff in future.

It would appear I was wrong, there isn't a safety device to cut the automation once the junctions are complete.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

BBC + photoshop = crapo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Well it was fairly enjoyable - but it was quite clearly a "pilot" esque episode; lots (or at least some) explanation of who the doctor was/what his significance was - and all this at the expense of pacing. So hopefully the next episode, which looks reallly interesting btw ("the last human alive" lol), will solve this now that we're "comfortable" with the setup.

the photoshop'ing was dreadful, but the sfx all in all look impressive... fair play to BBC for making an effort - wonder what adventures we'll see over the 13 episodes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As someone old enough to remember Jon Pertwee as the Doctor I don't know what to make of it. Where were the cardboard sets and helpless wimmin? Clearly to looks a lot slicker than Dr of old but thats not necessarily a compliment. The creaky atmosphere was part of the fun in the old days.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm not too sure about the special effects. The Autons looked great... but the CGI wheely bin was horrific. They should try and stir clear of CGI, some of the clips on Jonathan Ross's show looked really ropey.

All the non-cgi stuff looks great though, some of the aliens from next week look very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Jon Pertwee was my 'first' Doctor, but have to say I was very impressed with the new series. Was half-dreading it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. It still has funny bits and the sets are great. Loved seeing the bloke getting eaten by the dustbin!

My little lad is a convert for the new generation and can't wait for next week. Pity it didn't end on a cliff-hanger like the old ones though - half the fun was spending a week wondering what happened next and having nightmares about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed like every one else, I was a big fan when I was a kid.
    But it has been getting bad reviews, that pratt Gary Bushell of "The People" newspaper gave it an awful review today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

I've never watched Doctor Who before, but i really enjoyed this. How excellent was Billie Piper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I just watch the repeat on BBC 3. I think that the first episode could have been better and given you an idea of things to come but next weeks teaser looked really good. Billy piper? I dont know, all the companion has to do is scream and ask questions...Like the new doctor nice and mad. Look forward to the rest

Advertisement