Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a concert on your own

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Do go. I missed At the drive-in play here because I couldnt get anyone to travel from Cavan to the gig with me. Regret isn't the word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I've gone to two gigs on my own, had a great time, once you get in there's music playing. Your there to enjoy the music, besides whos gonna even notice if your on your own. Everyones to wrapped up in the music to give a toss, and you shouldn't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

i think what makes a good night at a gig is the people your with

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    you seriously think it's the most important thing
    of course i don't i didn't say that did i
    Ro: maaan! wrote:
    You'd go to a band you disliked as long as you were going with mates...?
    of course i wouldn't i didn't say that did i

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

of course i don't i didn't say that did i
    You said "i think what makes a good night at a gig is the people your with". That being the only thing you mentioned I assumed you meant it was the best thing about it. Therefore the most important. But that was only an assumption. That's why I then asked do you think it's the most important thing. If you don't think it's the most important thing then why would you say it, and leave out what is the important thing? It was a little misleading, don't you think? Anyway I then asked if you'd go to a band you didn't like if you were with mates. Of course you didn't say that. If you did then I wouldn't have had to ask...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Karmand

Regret the things you havent done not the things you have.
    You would definitely regret seeing a band because like mentioned by someone else, they could break up or become huge and you'd never be able to see them in a small venue or better still meet them.
    I've went to a gig on my own and it was one of the best ever.
    Obviously beause the band were amazing, and although apprehensive at first i just let myself go mental when the music started. An advantage of being a loner girl or guy is that people are less afraid to approach you than if you're with a huge group of friends. It's a way better opportunity to meet new friends. And if someone likes you when you're dehyrated, sweaty with messy hair and eyeliner down your face, then thats obviously a huge confidence boost.
    Gigs are not about meeting lads or girls, its about the music but its an added bonus to meet someone with a similar music taste to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

Going to the cinema is fine on yer own cos it's dark and all and there is no communication anywhoo. But gigs may be different, that is for a female. Whenever I am waiting on someone in a pub on my own, fellas think 'oh desperate female on her own, must be up for the cup'. Really annoys me. I am not talking about fella just coming up and being friendly, that's grand, but the other, jayseus!!!!! That would put me off going to concerts on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

its fun cos ya make new friends who have the same taste in music and you see them all the time in gigs after that anyways

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i always have to go to gigs on my own, my mates are all jocks and hate punk...leaving me high and dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

If I was to go to a gig on my own I'd have to go on a bus for like 3hrs aswell as standing around in the venue on my own for ages! I don't think I could handle that! And then imagine you met someone you know who's with a big gang of friends aaahhhh cringe!
    And you'd be there bobbing to the music on your own like a loser aswell...
    And then who could you talk to about the gig after it?
    I suppose I am a fairly insecure person as i wouldnt even go to the cinema on my own.. I'd just be thinking... what if i meet a gang of people from me class in there or someone I know with a boyfriend... could NOT handle that!
    One of the main parts of any gig is the session on the way up and just getting drunk and having a laugh with your friends!
    I wouldn't go it alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Well a 3 hour bus journey is probably enough to put anyone off. I don't really understand this thing about not wanting to bump into people there though. Surely it would be a good thing to meet people you knew there...? I went to Jimmy Eat World the other week on my own. Turned out I bumped into a guy I knew who also went on his own. And as for looking like a loser, I'm not so sure. If I wasn't prone to going to things on my own, and while I was at something with a group I saw somone I know who was on their own chances are I'd think of them as being independent rather than sad. Seeing someone going to something or doing something on their own would lead me to believe they have a life rather than just tagging along with their mates to whatever they were going. Really don't know if other people would think that though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Concentrated

I often go to the cinema alone, and agree with the above, that you actually look quite independant if you can enjoy your own company. It has taken me until the late 20's though to have the confidence and I suppose, desire to do what I want to do and not to always be depending on others. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I ended up on my own for most of the chalets and subways gig on saturday night. My mate who was in an awful state wandered away for smoke at the start of the subways set and never came back :confused:
    Anways, i wasnt bothered seeing as i was pretty drunk as well. If your going to go solo i'd recommend a few drinks before hand and you'll be fine.
    I wish i'd gone to the lemon jelly gig now, i was put of by having to go alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haven't really gone to gigs (or any social gatherings for that matter) alone. but thinking about it, i always go with mates, everyone gets separated, and at the end spend about an hour looking for each other. so going alone probably makes sense..

going with people is really to make conversation in the que...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

ClareBear I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm a huge Stereophonics fan and there was no way I was missing them, but most of my mates don't like them and the ones that do are out of the country when the gig is on. So I got myself a seat in the balcony (at least that way I can turn up at the last minute without having thousands of heads in the way, and I won't have to queue outside for ages on my own). It is a much better laugh when you have someone with you, but its not worth missing your favourite band over. Sure I often lose my mates once the concert starts anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Woo hoo so I won't be the only loser (just kidding) there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

i always have to go to gigs on my own, my mates are all jocks and hate punk...leaving me high and dry

ClareBear, organise a blind date for the STereophonics gig. MUCH safer than going on your own :p

I'll go with you in future! ;);)

I've missed loads of gigs i've really wanted to see because i couldn't get anyone to go with me and have never had the courage to go on my own. My friends are all complete phillistines when it comes to music.

But after reading this thread there seems to be loads of people do go anyway. So i'll be at Weezer in June on my own. Thank you kind thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Maybe my high visibility vest joke could be the germ of an idea for blind dating at gigs, off to set up website and make my fortune now..............

Advertisement