Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber

1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An odd question perhaps but I have a hankering to build my first woodworkers bench and happen to have a One4All card with more than enough of a balance to cover the cost of the wood. Does anyone know if anywhere other than B&Q takes them? They don't seem like the best spot to get decent timber ime...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I use Brooks, Abbey Woods and woodworkers Dublin. Call them and see if they take the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

If you have an iPhone, you can add a one4all card to Apple Pay. Then use Apple Pay to top up revolut in the app, then use Revolut wherever you want to buy your wood.

Watch out for Woodworkers. I've gotten warped ply and damaged ply from them on two different occasions, and then they were very difficult to deal with, so I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Strahan Timber are good I find.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone know of any timber suppliers in dublin who would stock maple? not looking for a large piece, it's for a guitar neck so 26" x 4" x 1.5" would be plenty.

Strahan Timer? I've got maple from them in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird, i'd never heard of them before; i saw your comment about them, in the context of ply, and assumed they were 'just' a builders merchant.

I heard about them a few years back from a mate who buys their hardwood off cut bundles for small projects. I got a bunch of oak from them last year and was happy with their service.

Haven't used them for ply yet myself, but after Woodworkers being unreliable, I'll go with Strahan for another couple of projects I need birch ply for soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Damnit, I was just about to order from Woodworkers. What issues have they had?

About 15 sheets of play all damaged on the edge. They weren't very helpful when I contacted them about it, and didn't offer any discount or refund. Wasn't a huge issue as it was full sheets and I was cutting to my own plans, but I still had to re-edge stuff myself, and lost some wood.

But the worst was getting some 18mm birch ply, and I had them cut it for me, as it was just one cut, and made easier for me to transport.

The ply was badly warped. And when I complained, the first guy was really sound and said he's sort it out. But then the owner came out, was really rude and unhelpful and tried to tell me that birch ply warps, it's just the nature of the wood. Which isn't true.

Ended up having to change my plans, cut the wood into smaller panels than I wanted, and spent a week trying to take the bend out of it.

I'd never go near them again myself.

If you are ordering anything from them yourself, inspect it, and make sure you are happy before you pay them.

arse. i need a piece about 650mm long, and they sell them in 600mm and 1200mm. i could buy a finished neck for the same price as the 1200mm piece...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah, that sucks. Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Could you buy a floorboard? Just plain it down to take the finish off it

for the guitar neck? i don't know if you'd be able to buy a single floorboard - and it'd be too thin so i'd have to laminate it, so i'd need two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

The Carpentry Store in Naas sells loads of hard and exotic woods in small sizes suitable for hobbyists such as woodturners, carvers, guitar builders etc.

You'll probably pay a lot more per cubic mtr but I've always found them lovely to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Declan T

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As a complete beginner, what's the deal with timber? Seems to be more expensive to buy timber and build something then just buy it pre-made?

Always wanted to start building stuff, and figured we could use a shed. Got loads of good tips and plans online, but the price seems crazy high. The back wall alone will cost me €200 just for the timber. Surely it should be cheaper to build these things yourself?

Shed makers get discount for buying supplies in bulk, they have faster methods of production, and not all sheds you can buy will be as good as one you make yourself. As long as you have the skills to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Have you seen the price of sheds lately?

Was looking at an 8 x 10ft in a big box DIY store lately and it was 3100, and not particularly impressive either. Cheapest of materials and bodged together with little or no care or attention.

I'm pouring a slab tomorrow and will 100% be building my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 autogroup999

Hi all built a pergola lean 2 during covid and built using 9x2 joist but my joist seem to be cupping is their anyway to stop this I have twin polycarbonate on roof it's approx 18ft x 16 ft approx totally confused why it's cupping

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CaptChad

Hi, I've sifted through the posts and there's some great knowledge and support.

I'm trying to find somewhere in Cavan or between Cavan and Dublin that would sell something similar to the picture. I've got the legs already, I'm not passionate about what the wood is, but would like something 20mm-40mm thick long and wide enough for two 32" monitors

Hope someone can direct me. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Not between Dublin and Cavan but this ad seems to have a good selection if it helps

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3233531170125315/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 2024

Does anyone know where I can get any red/white deal joinry grade timber for making some kitchen cabinet doors. I purchased some planned timber in the local builders yard and even the best of it was useless for making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Use mrmdf if you don't want the grain showing and are going to paint/spray them. Ya would need to use ash if ya want grain effect instead of pine. Mrmdf won't shrink, red/white deal will, as will ash if it's not dried out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

An elm tree blew down outside my house during Storm Isha. Is the timber of any value to wood turners or woodworkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm looking for black hex pattern coated plywood in 12, 15 and 18mm, with a possible need for 3x1.5m sheets if I could be so lucky.

Who would have such things in Ireland?

Will be looking for a couple of sheets. could probably do the whole job with 15mm if I could get it.

https://midlandleisuresupplies.co.uk/product/15mm-black-hexa-board-8x4-ft-birch-ply-buffalo-phenolic-thick-tough-heavy-duty/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try Woodworkers in Harold's Cross, and Strahans in Rathcoole.

Advertisement