Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Broadband offer's extended until 31st March!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Don't forget that some users were reporting here within the last month that they were seeing their 512K Esat connection temporarily being upgraded to 1 MBit as if Esat were testing a potential upgrade.
    So it's not all just hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Blaster99 wrote:
    Would the birdie know anything about services at the higher end of the spectrum, like 8Mbps type of stuff? SDSL?
    I'll tell you. No ****ing chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

plazzTT wrote:
    Don't forget that some users were reporting here within the last month that they were seeing their 512K Esat connection temporarily being upgraded to 1 MBit as if Esat were testing a potential upgrade.
    So it's not all just hearsay.
    Now that you mention that i got a 78kb/s download speed last night but it only lasted for 3mins, just assumed it had jumped due to some people disconnecting

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Stark wrote:
    They're good but I think Esat are a little bit better. Esat are slightly more reliable and don't cut you off the byte you go over your cap. You also get a USB/Ethernet modem with Esat, and only a USB modem with UTV. UTV are still much better than Eircom though.

With UTV you can opt to be charged or cut off if you go over the cap. And they are very precise on that?

UTV now supply a Creative ethernet modem.

On what do you base the claim that UTV are much better than Eircom if you are not basing it solely on the cap/pricing issue?

rymus wrote:
    Morally perhaps. As far as speed & quality of service are concerned, Eircom are better. At least that's what I've found.

So, if new packages aren't being announced until 4th April and my contract is ending 31st March, if I want to hang on and see what UTV can offer me, am I automatically tied into a new contract once the 31st March deadline passes? I had intended on leaving UTV and hopefully getting wireless but I'm ever so tempted to hang on and see what materialises (if anything significant). I just don't want to get stuck with another 12 month contract if what the new package brings really wasn't worth waiting for.

You will be on a rolling 1 month contract once your 12 month contract finishes. But going on past performance UTV will insist on a further 12 month contract to avail of any new product or product enhancement.

Dont forget if you opted for UTV's talktime your phone may be commited to them for a different 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

I'll tell you. No ****ing chance.

Put it this way: you have to crawl before you break the World Record for 100Mtrs. A poor anology I know, considering that 8M wouldn't be a World Record, but by Irish standards, it would be positively sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you don't mind me saying so, you might mean by the standards set by your employer.

Could one draw the reasonable conclusion that all speeds will double, e.g. 2Mbps to 4Mbps etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

the difference between a 512k and 1024k is purely a software one. Distance from the exchange should not affect any (possible) upgrades. ADSL2 is normally only for speeds over 6mbps. Hope this clears up that question. By the way I use cable (im in the usa now) and I get 4096k for $30 per month. Im coming home soon and hope to get BB. I hope that our ISPS have cleaned up their acts by the time I get back, although Im not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

On what do you base the claim that UTV are much better than Eircom if you are not basing it solely on the cap/pricing issue?

Hmm. Is that not enough? Two out of three like.

Valentia wrote:
    Hmm. Is that not enough? Two out of three like.

Well quality is relative and depends on the priority of each person. There are plenty of people that may be enough for,

But there are the usual day to day issues with UTV - reliability of service, speed(which latterly has stabilised) poor customer service ongoing, dns problems and email problems lately. The requirement for a further 12 month contract to switch between Clicksilver products, their failure to address T&C issues. The pity is with UTV that rarely goes any signficant period of time go by without an 'issue'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dub45 wrote:
    Well quality is relative and depends on the priority of each person. There are plenty of people that may be enough for,

But there are the usual day to day issues with UTV - reliability of service, speed(which latterly has stabilised) poor customer service ongoing, dns problems and email problems lately. The requirement for a further 12 month contract to switch between Clicksilver products, their failure to address T&C issues. The pity is with UTV that rarely does any signficant period of time go by without an 'issue'.

Those "issues" are Eircoms fault according to UTV.

Usual all tale to get us of there backs.

- Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    Those "issues" are Eircoms fault according to UTV.

Usual all tale to get us of there backs.

- Sully

In fairness they have hardly blamed the email or dns issue on Eircom?

And they can hardly blame Eircom for 15 to 20 minute waits on their customer support lines?

Advertisement