Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Broadband offer's extended until 31st March!

Options
  • 11-03-2005 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Am I the only one here getting a little excited about 1st April???

Eircom,UTV and now EsatBT have all their offers ending on 31st March.

Could it be that there may actually be a big surprise in store or just another major disappointment.

Views and reactions please?

BTW
    This is the 3rd deadline introduced by EsatBT for their Broadband trials :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yes I think you're right, this is turning into an April fools joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I guess this means no 1MBit announcement today?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DAAAMMMMMIIIITTTT, Lazy feckers. Come on and tell us

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

theres gonna be no announcement today as all the companys have extended their offers till the end of the month and theres nothing stoping them coming up with another 2 months extension like they have done 3 times over the past year. Without any official announcements from the big 3 and no totally believeable rumours like we had in February 2003 from sources close to eircom all we can do is wait and see what happens, it could be announced on 31st of March or it could be months away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

diarmo wrote:
    Am I the only one here getting a little excited about 1st April???

Eircom,UTV and now EsatBT have all their offers ending on 31st March.

Could it be that there may actually be a big surprise in store or just another major disappointment.

Views and reactions please?

BTW
    This is the 3rd deadline introduced by EsatBT for their Broadband trials :confused::confused::confused:

Is UTV good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

There will be announcements of new packages in April.
    Dont know the details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Why do people assume that when these free trials end, that are instantly going to upgrade and there will be sun shine and rainbow's every day.

I dont see a connection between the two of them. Eircom dont have to keep handing out offers and upgrades because there is very little or no competion yet

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

New offers are due to come into place on April 4th. I'll post more info as I have it.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

According to this post last night
    By the way the sales guy in Esat i was talking too reckoned the basic BB package was dropping price by 20% before the end of the month, in case anyones interested!

You see if you guys read some of the posts where people were looking for help you might learn something interesting... :p:D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I would prefer if they stopped with these free trials and actually gave a superior product.

A high ranking executive of Eircom recently stated(as in the last 2 months) that people are perfectly happy and loving their 512k connections.

Now those are not the words of a man who is about to sanction the costly enterprise of upgrading their network now is it?

Face it....there is very little possibility of the big 3 DSL ISP's rolling out 1024k broadband "as we are loving 512k" is there?

The earliest time in my opinion, and please someone prove me wrong, would be 6months after 1 April or basically pre-Christmas for any 1024k service!

If anything is introduced now would there be a market for it in the Summer...kids nagging their parents or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

gomb&#237 wrote: »
    New offers are due to come into place on April 4th. I'll post more info as I have it.

Regards.

The Master has spoken. Now I believe :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the info gombín.

Ok so now we're getting some where

4th April, good i can wait a month (unlike some)

I wonder who originally said it was coming out on the 9th march?,
    not that i'm trying to name and shame anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is UTV good?

They're good but I think Esat are a little bit better. Esat are slightly more reliable and don't cut you off the byte you go over your cap. You also get a USB/Ethernet modem with Esat, and only a USB modem with UTV. UTV are still much better than Eircom though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

What year? :rolleyes:

(Just a tad bit disgruntled)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

diarmo wrote:

The earliest time in my opinion, and please someone prove me wrong, would be 6months after 1 April or basically pre-Christmas for any 1024k service!

I've my hand up to prove you wrong!!

Put it this way: a little birdie has told me that if Diarmo has a 512 connection at the start of this April, it will magically go up to 1M for the same price.

Don't forget that David McRedmond that you quote is repsonsible to shareholders for his comments. Anything he says that might rock the boat share-wise wouldn't go down too well.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Would the birdie know anything about services at the higher end of the spectrum, like 8Mbps type of stuff? SDSL?

Well "gombín" if it switches from 512k to 1024k in April then EsatBT may very well keep this customer.

But 90% of the population still believe they have no real use for 512k.
    If they cant sell 512k "at such a blistering fast speed" what is the point of 1024k.

Im only being practical.

What 99% of the people here want dosent really matter as the vast majority of potential buyers couldnt find a use for broadband in the first place.

Broadbands selling points are:
    1) Fast
    2) Alway on
    These wont change if there is a speed increase.

What Joe Blogg wants is something cheaper as the €24 a month line rental is by far the highest in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Maybe there waiting for to see how Smart preform, by extending trials to try and get some more customers, but if smart preform as well as they say mabey Eircom and esat and UTV will get there fingers out of there holes and up the speeds that we so dearly want.

diarmo wrote:
    Well "gombín" if it switches from 512k to 1024k in April then EsatBT may very well keep this customer.

But 90% of the population still believe they have no real use for 512k.
    If they cant sell 512k "at such a blistering fast speed" what is the point of 1024k.

Im only being practical.

What 99% of the people here want dosent really matter as the vast majority of potential buyers couldnt find a use for broadband in the first place.

Broadbands selling points are:
    1) Fast
    2) Alway on
    These wont change if there is a speed increase.

What Joe Blogg wants is something cheaper as the €24 a month line rental is by far the highest in the EU.

Good point, If your logic is true than Smart should sell like hot cakes

I think it is to soon to ask about the upgrade but i'll do it anyway

How far do you have to be away from the exchange to receive the upgrade?
    Is the upload speed going to increase as well?
    Are caps going to increase as well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im 2.3km from my exchange and reckon I may not get automatically transferred to 1mb from this distance, how far away from the exchange has 1mb been receivable so far? Is this upgrade based on new ADSL2 equipment in all the exchanges or is it still the old equipment?

• Advertisement

When Smart actually switch some customers on... Who knows when that'll be. If March/April is realistic then it could well be the end of April before it gets a general release anywhere. This wouldn't help them see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

cant wait till nothing materialises tbh

Gonzo wrote:
    Is this upgrade based on new ADSL2 equipment in all the exchanges or is it still the old equipment?

From what I've read that wont happen until the summer/September. There's no need for ADSL2 for the upgrade so I doubt it - I understand it gives longer distance, thus your interest, but I'd doubt it. Could be wrong though. *shrugs*

If Joe Blogg works out the math and caculates his bill for broadband comes to €11 a month...then Smart will clean up.

The only niggling point is that the competition can also dictate the rollout of LLU.

Why in the name of %£"^ would Eircom allow Smart to kick its ass.
    The answer is that it wont and will stall Smart in the Courts for years until they force Smart to accept an offer which will keep them limited to Dublin,Cork and other high ultra density areas.
    Comreg are the worst type of regulator...they just stand back and watch as their former employers Eircom kill off the competition.

Why cant we follow the lead of Denmark in regards to their handling of DSL!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Stark wrote:
    UTV are still much better than Eircom though.

Morally perhaps. As far as speed & quality of service are concerned, Eircom are better. At least that's what I've found.

So, if new packages aren't being announced until 4th April and my contract is ending 31st March, if I want to hang on and see what UTV can offer me, am I automatically tied into a new contract once the 31st March deadline passes? I had intended on leaving UTV and hopefully getting wireless but I'm ever so tempted to hang on and see what materialises (if anything significant). I just don't want to get stuck with another 12 month contract if what the new package brings really wasn't worth waiting for.

and only a USB modem with UTV

Not the case. They are doing Creative eternet/usb router now. Also, though UTV are not as reliable as Eircom, they offer way better value for money than any other provider (excepting SMART, of course) and their cap is better too. I'm prepared to put up with their idiosyncrasies for those reasons. I agree, though, that the way they mess with their T & C's is questionable.

am I automatically tied into a new contract once the 31st March deadline passes?

You are on a rolling monthly contract after the 31st. Unless you are on the trial, in which case unless you cancel you are automatically on a twelve month deal. The same with them all AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I've my hand up to prove you wrong!!

Put it this way: a little birdie has told me that if Diarmo has a 512 connection at the start of this April, it will magically go up to 1M for the same price.

Don't forget that David McRedmond that you quote is repsonsible to shareholders for his comments. Anything he says that might rock the boat share-wise wouldn't go down too well.

Regards.

what does the little birdie say about caps?

btw you should teach it some manners, it pooed on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

cheers for the answer valentia, that's made me feel somewhat better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What if Diarmo was with Esat? Would the little birdie still tell you that he might magically have a 1M line for the same price?

Thanks as always for the helpful posts gombín.

Advertisement