Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerdart shuttle bus to end

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

my understanding was they had a share in the company as well but i cannot prove that

Nope - AFAIK it's owned by ComfortDelgo via their Metroline subsiduary in the UK and Crosson Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

BuffyBot wrote:
    Nope - AFAIK it's owned by ComfortDelgo via their Metroline subsiduary in the UK and Crosson Motors

ok but they had an interest at least from the point of view that they were recieving income from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

IE have not been contributing to the cost of the DART feeders for a number of years, and no longer have a say in how they are operated.

If you look at the 102 timetable you will see that, since the most recent timetable change, in the majority of cases the buses are not timetabled to connect with DART's at Sutton! DB timetabled the bus as they would any other route, i.e. how long it took to get from one end of the route to the other, and took no account of DART times. Both the 102 and 111 have both recently been cut back so DB could use the buses elsewhere.

DB were taken to task over the lack of connections at a public meeting, at which their response was that they viewed themselves as in competition with Iarnrod Eireann and not in co-operation with them EVEN in the case of DART Feeder services!!

Hence we have a completely farcical situation where buses depart 5 mins before a train arrives and so on. As to why the 230 and 102 have not been merged since the move to Harristown, I would think that it is merely down to waiting until the dust settles on the new garage opening. DB do not tend to make changes in a rush, and I would think that it was just put on the long finger. However, as soon as union and departmental approval happens you can be sure that it will be implemented immediately with very little notice to the customer!

In summary, the only body that can dictate to Dublin Bus when and where they operate a route is the Department of Transport, and certainly not Iarnrod Eireann. Daft as it may seem it is up to the bus company alone to decide when and where they operate the DART feeder routes (all four of them!).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So that would bring the grand total to zero, of buses that use the N32 bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While not providing a through ticket, the 230 effective operates as a DART feeder at Malahide, cheaper than Aerdart for most destinations too, with high-luggage capacity vehicles.

I actually think the 102 is better off having a (more) regular schedule. It was a pain trying to remember times for the 102 they were so random.
    delly wrote:
    So that would bring the grand total to zero, of buses that use the N32 bus lane.
    Do some 747/748 busses use it?
    The numbering of stages will differ also as route 230 covers two different corridors (the 32 and 41 groups).
    The 41 has adifferent series again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I was a regular victim^Wpassenger on the Aerdart: living by Killester DART station made it perfect for me. Damn them anyway! Now I have to Dart to Connolly and 747 out to the airport - extra time and expense.

Do some 747/748 busses use it?

Bizarrely no (or it seems based on my last few encounters). DB sends them to Donnycarney and then over to Whitehall and right into the Port Tunnel works. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What's wrong with the 41 route for the 74Xs? Gardiner St -> Drumcondra -> M1.

Fairview -> Donnycarney is a bit out of the way. It's not like they pick up anywhere along there (gripe #2)

BuffyBot wrote:
    Bizarrely no (or it seems based on my last few encounters). DB sends them to Donnycarney and then over to Whitehall and right into the Port Tunnel works. Nice.

actually the 747/748 dont have an official route once the stops are serviced the driver can go whichever way is the quickest at the time

usually if the 747 or 748 goes that way it is because it is quicker

trainuser wrote:
    IE have not been contributing to the cost of the DART feeders for a number of years, and no longer have a say in how they are operated.

if that is the case then it is only recent as that was the reason i was given by unions and managament in dublin bus

• Advertisement

usually if the 747 or 748 goes that way it is because it is quicker

Aliens must invade the N32/Malahide Road on a regular basis then. It's the only reason I can think that it would be slower than going the other way. The one time I was on an Airlink which went that way, it was a much quicker journey - everytime I get one which goes via Whitehall, I get to sit in traffic..

BuffyBot wrote:
    Aliens must invade the N32/Malahide Road on a regular basis then. It's the only reason I can think that it would be slower than going the other way. The one time I was on an Airlink which went that way, it was a much quicker journey - everytime I get one which goes via Whitehall, I get to sit in traffic..

it is usually quicker to go via whitehall unless it grinds to a halt completely

controll keep the drivers on the 747/748 informed of accidents heavy traffic etc so they then choose a different route to try and avoid it

the malahide rd/n32 is longer more junctions traffic lights and the roundabout at the m50/m1 can be a nightmare

the people that are driving the route know in general which way is quicker

it is usually quicker to go via whitehall unless it grinds to a halt completely

Hmm. Well as a reasonably frequent user of said routes, I'm not so sure about that at all.

Advertisement