Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerdart shuttle bus to end

Options
  • 10-03-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭

From http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/0309/aerdart.html

AerDart to suspend Dublin services

March 09, 2005 19:39

AerDart announced today that the AerDart A1 service is to be suspended and services will stop running on Sunday March 20. Nine jobs will be lost with the suspension.

AerDart started their high frequency shuttle bus service, which connected Dublin Airport to Dublin's DART and the eastern and national rail network, in April 2001.

The company said the decision to suspend the service was taken as a result of falling passenger numbers and mounting losses which were caused by the weekend closures of the DART line due to upgrade work.

The company said that with the projected date of the reopening of the DART line now pushed back to September, there is now no possibility that the service will be viable in the foreseeable future.

'DART upgrade works have seriously impacted on the operation of the AerDart service and losses can not be sustained any further,' commented Allen Parker, Managing Director of AerDart.

AerDart is owned by the ComfortDelGro Group, which also operates the CityLink coach service from Dublin to Galway and from Galway to Shannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The assertation that the weekend closures are to blame is bull. The service has never been well used, it is too expensive to attract local use and the combined journey time to the city is far longer than the express bus services or the regular bus.
    The weekend service had been cut back considerably to co-incide with the rail closures so the effect of them has been minimal. It is just a very handy excuse for ridding an unprofitable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well as we all know, there should be a rail link from Dublin city to Dublin Airport. There should probably be a link northwards connecting with the Belfast line somewhere too. Aircoach are running a Dublin Airport - Belfast link now. A direct link to Heuston might be good too. Don't hold your breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Flukey wrote:
    Well as we all know, there should be a rail link from Dublin city to Dublin Airport. There should probably be a link northwards connecting with the Belfast line somewhere too. Aircoach are running a Dublin Airport - Belfast link now. A direct link to Heuston might be good too. Don't hold your breath though.

do you mean a rail link to hueston there is already a bus link to hueston the 748

John R wrote:
    The assertation that the weekend closures are to blame is bull. The service has never been well used, it is too expensive to attract local use and the combined journey time to the city is far longer than the express bus services or the regular bus.
    The weekend service had been cut back considerably to co-incide with the rail closures so the effect of them has been minimal. It is just a very handy excuse for ridding an unprofitable service.

this is not a good sign for the plans to contract out and privatise the bus services in this city

once the company decide they are not going to make a profit thats it shut up shop is this what people really want from public transport only services that are profitable will operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The service is very poorly used, in fact all three services 747/8 Aircoach and AerDart have very low load factors. Fact is if you are coming from the west or south of the city its just plain easier to get a bus from the city centre and there are more options in the case of the bus not showing up which is really important if you are flying somewhere. With Aercoach going 24 hours (Dublin Bus are following too I think?) and running services as far south as Sandyford they are going to capture a significant share

Howth Junction has never been the nicest spot which doesn't help. The engineering works don't help. IE offered to give AerDart to total face value of the combined ticket for a number of months to keep them in business but AerDart pulled the plug regardless. Fact was AerDart was a never a long term business if IE get there airport spur line bang they would have been gone overnight, equally is the Airport metro every gets built (properly) it would have a similar effect

• Advertisement

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The service is very poorly used, in fact all three services 747/8 Aircoach and AerDart have very low load factors. Fact is if you are coming from the west or south of the city its just plain easier to get a bus from the city centre and there are more options in the case of the bus not showing up which is really important if you are flying somewhere. With Aercoach going 24 hours (Dublin Bus are following too I think?) and running services as far south as Sandyford they are going to capture a significant share

Howth Junction has never been the nicest spot which doesn't help. The engineering works don't help. IE offered to give AerDart to total face value of the combined ticket for a number of months to keep them in business but AerDart pulled the plug regardless. Fact was AerDart was a never a long term business if IE get there airport spur line bang they would have been gone overnight, equally is the Airport metro every gets built (properly) it would have a similar effect

actually the 746 and the 16A go to the airport from the southside namely dun laoghaire and rathfarnham

the 747 and 748 carry a lot of passengers as does the aircoach dont know why you think they have low load factors obviously they are busy during the summer months

the fact is that there is no rail link at the moment and there is unlikely to be one in the short to medium term
    the people who were using this service have been left high and dry this is what happens when public transport is operated on a purely for profit basis

dublin bus had a proposal a few years back to run some of the 17As upto the airport but were not allowed the same with the 27s were the idea of running some of them up to the airport was rejected as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The load factor is what killed AerDart combined with the poor frequency of every 20 minutes and every 30 minutes after 6pm. IE offered them the full 7 euro take on each combined ticket. Having to wait possibly upto 20-30 minutes in Howth Junction would put most people off, its a pity its gone but we have to give them some respect for the fact at least they tried

Aircoach have gone with the premium service and focused on the tourist and business market by stopping near many major city hotels that said passenger numbers wouldn't set the world alight, once the bus leaves the bottom of Grafton street its not uncommon to see it empty or more typically 3 or 4 people

The arrival of Aercoach brought a complete rethink on the airport run Dublin Bus where forced to compete and they raised there game big time. At 5 euro a head Dublin Bus are making a killing even on loads of only 15-20 after all there are charging effectivly 3 times the normal fare and its probably costing less than a normal bus route of equivalent length to run since its express which means more trips per bus and driver per day.

The real issue with the Airport service is the need to provide a farily high frequency all day to provide the confidence to customers in the service that it will be there when they need it. The ability to stomach the low load factors during slow times which ensue while maintaining the capacity to cope when things pick up particularly during the summer Saturdays is essential.

What we need to see now is a price war.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The load factor is what killed AerDart combined with the poor frequency of every 20 minutes and every 30 minutes after 6pm. IE offered them the full 7 euro take on each combined ticket. Having to wait possibly upto 20-30 minutes in Howth Junction would put most people off, its a pity its gone but we have to give them some respect for the fact at least they tried

I'd agree with that...There were a number of problems with the AerDart and it's use of Howth Junction.

It's a ****ty station in the between a small industrial park and a housing estate. There alway's seemed to be kids/teens hanging around which can be quite intimidating.

There are inadequete signs directing you to the "bus Stop". I'd often see people wandering the platform wondering which way to go.

You'd have to lug luggage up a poxy stairs to get it over the track. I was always helping people with their massive suitcases, up the stairs and then a ****ing narrow walkway over the track.

No bus shelter or any paraphenalia saying where the aercoach stopped but for a small copybook sized timetable on a lamppost (Which has been vandalised and unreadable for last 6 months). Quite an isolated lonely place...again intimidating to travellers.

Infrequency of busses....i was told originally that a bus would meet every dart....then it was changed to the timetable but the busses never seemed to be able to jeep to this accurately.

Journey time......it was almost as quick to get an aircoach from O@connell st as to get the bus from howth junction to the Airport.

I only used the bloody service as i travelled from Bray to liverpool at least once a month.... Always felt embarressed that this was the "train service" to the airport and that so many foreigners first/last taste of Dublin and Ireland was the shambles that was the AerDart.

MarkoP11 wrote:

Aircoach have gone with the premium service and focused on the tourist and business market by stopping near many major city hotels that said passenger numbers wouldn't set the world alight, once the bus leaves the bottom of Grafton street its not uncommon to see it empty or more typically 3 or 4 people

The arrival of Aercoach brought a complete rethink on the airport run Dublin Bus where forced to compete and they raised there game big time. At 5 euro a head Dublin Bus are making a killing even on loads of only 15-20 after all there are charging effectivly 3 times the normal fare and its probably costing less than a normal bus route of equivalent length to run since its express which means more trips per bus and driver per day.

The real issue with the Airport service is the need to provide a farily high frequency all day to provide the confidence to customers in the service that it will be there when they need it. The ability to stomach the low load factors during slow times which ensue while maintaining the capacity to cope when things pick up particularly during the summer Saturdays is essential.

What we need to see now is a price war.

the 747 route operates a bus every 10 minutes in each direction
    on top of that there is a 748 every 30 minutes

the 16a and the 746 not to mention the 41s

and the chances of a price war are minimal this is a case that proves competition does not mean lower fares when aircoach started dublin buses airlink fare was 2 pound aircoach started at about the 3.50 4.00 mark afair dublin bus put up the price within a couple of weeks and were still cheaper than the competition

besides that alot of aircoach passengers have already bought there ticket before they land through ryanair so a price war would have little affect on aircoaches customers who have already paid for their journey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Maybe DAA should approach Aircoach about operating it?

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote:
    Maybe DAA should approach Aircoach about operating it?

why

Because the DART spur won't be built tomorrow. Until then, people who want to use DART to get to DUB should have a public transport option all the way.

dowlingm wrote:
    Because the DART spur won't be built tomorrow. Until then, people who want to use DART to get to DUB should have a public transport option all the way.

no why do you think aircoach would be able to operate it when aerdart could not

aircoach have not got a great record either they stopped operating their IFSC-Airport route without giving any notice to anyone that they were stopping at least aerdart gave 2 weeks notice

Aircoach might have extra capacity perhaps? Just a thought.

dowlingm wrote:
    Aircoach might have extra capacity perhaps? Just a thought.

how would extra capacity solve the problem of not enough people using the route for it to be profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I'll miss this service!!!

I didn't mind the crappy Howth Junction as I knew where I was going but as said earlier Howth Junction was a joke for those not familar with where to go and as for those stairs accross the tracks, plus no bus shelter,dodgey area etc.

Looking at a map of Dublin Airport and surrounding area would not Portmarnock station have been a better option? I wonder is it a nicer station than crappy Howth Junction??

I'll cope with its loss but it was very handy travelling from Belgium to Dublin and on to Sandycove!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I found it ideal for directing visitors arriving at the airport, who didn't want or need me to go all the way to the airport to pick them up. I live in Bray, so we got maximum worth out of the fixed fare. I'll have to think of an alternative now, I suppose.

cdebru

if Ryanair are selling aircoach tickets on board then business might pick up on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

Let's hope they closed because they got wind of a potential rail-based competitor coming on-stream within the next few years a.k.a DART spur from Baldoyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Greenman wrote:
    Looking at a map of Dublin Airport and surrounding area would not Portmarnock station have been a better option? I wonder is it a nicer station than crappy Howth Junction??

I wouldn't exactly call Portmarnock a station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote:
    Let's hope they closed because they got wind of a potential rail-based competitor coming on-stream within the next few years a.k.a DART spur from Baldoyle
    Hardly, in that case they would run it until services began.
    penexpers wrote:
    I wouldn't exactly call Portmarnock a station.
    It has platforms, footbridges, a ticket office, car park ....

dowlingm wrote:
    cdebru

if Ryanair are selling aircoach tickets on board then business might pick up on this route.

of course ryanair could have offered that facility to aerdart i dont think it would make a huge difference it seems it was being more used a s local service for people working in the airport than by travellers

Victor wrote:

It has platforms, footbridges, a ticket office, car park ....

and is a lot nicer than howth junction

Greenman wrote:
    QUOTE]

the 230 goes from just outside portmarnock train station to dublin airport

Greenman wrote:
    It has more pleasent surroundings, but has much fewer services and is in the middle of nowhere.
    cdebru wrote:
    the 230 goes from just outside portmarnock train station to dublin airport
    Did they extend it? I thought it still only went to the roundabout (a few hundred metres away but a fair hike with luggage).

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=230

Oddly stages 91/09 & 90/10 (Malahide Rd. (Yellow Walls School) and Seabury) are missing and the stages don't match those used on the 32/A/B, 42, 102 and 32 (the routes it part duplicates).

Victor wrote:
    It has more pleasent surroundings, but has much fewer services and is in the middle of nowhere.

Did they extend it? I thought it still only went to the roundabout (a few hundred metres away but a fair hike with luggage).

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=230

Oddly stages 91/09 & 90/10 (Malahide Rd. (Yellow Walls School) and Seabury) are missing and the stages don't match those used on the 32/A/B, 42, 102 and 32 (the routes it part duplicates).

I dont know when i said outside i meant that couple of hundred yards

they may have taken the 230 out of that estate when they moved it to harristown i know they had planned to join the 102 and the 230 but IE would not allow it as they part owned aerdart

and the 42 is planned to go through seabury so they may have taken it out due to the bad corner on th eway up to yellow walls road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Quote:

"Oddly stages 91/09 & 90/10 (Malahide Rd. (Yellow Walls School) and Seabury) are missing and the stages don't match those used on the 32/A/B, 42, 102 and 32 (the routes it part duplicates)."

Victor, you're reading far too much into this! It is another example of the DB Timetabling department's excessively long list of errors! They have simply not been included in the online timetable! The printed version of the timetable does reflect those stages.

As for the stages themselves, they are at identical locations to those on route 102 which route 230 follows except that route 102 operates in a clockwise loop between Yellow Walls Road and Seabury, whereas the 230 operates the same route in both directions. The descriptions do differ - remember the 230 was in Summerhill and the 102 in Clontarf depots and the same person did not draw up the schedule/stages. The numbering of stages will differ also as route 230 covers two different corridors (the 32 and 41 groups).

Quote:
    "they may have taken the 230 out of that estate when they moved it to harristown i know they had planned to join the 102 and the 230 but IE would not allow it as they part owned aerdart"

IE do not own any part of Aerdart. They had an arrangement with that company to operate a connecting service to/from the Airport but that is as far as any link goes.

IE objections were not the reason that the 230 and 102 did not merge....the principal reason was objections from the unions at Dublin Bus. IE does not have any say over how Dublin Bus operates and vice versa - we know that DB views itself as in competition not partnership with IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

someone in DB management said it was because the Department of Transport didn't want them to compete with AerDart.

trainuser wrote:
    The descriptions do differ - remember the 230 was in Summerhill and the 102 in Clontarf depots and the same person did not draw up the schedule/stages. The numbering of stages will differ also as route 230 covers two different corridors (the 32 and 41 groups).
    Sorry, all I meant was I would have expected each stop/stage to have only only number - in the Sutton / Portmarnknock / Malahide area its possible to use one numbering series, but they use 3 or 4.
    IE objections were not the reason that the 230 and 102 did not merge....the principal reason was objections from the unions at Dublin Bus.
    Explain that one to me. :D

With the DART in Malahide, I'm not sure if merging the routes would increase functionality. In fact you would loose the 102 at McAllisters and the route length would serve to disimprove punctuality. There are a few things that could be done to improve service, like a bus terminus on the north side of Sutton Station, serving Portmarknock Station, bus lane in Malahide Village, rebuild Barrack Bridge ...

• Advertisement

trainuser wrote:
    Quote:

IE do not own any part of Aerdart. They had an arrangement with that company to operate a connecting service to/from the Airport but that is as far as any link goes..

ok they had a contract with aerdart at least
    my understanding was they had a share in the company as well but i cannot prove that

trainuser wrote:
    IE objections were not the reason that the 230 and 102 did not merge....the principal reason was objections from the unions at Dublin Bus. IE does not have any say over how Dublin Bus operates and vice versa - we know that DB views itself as in competition not partnership with IE.

the 102 is a dart feeder service which is basically like a private hire to IE they have the final say as to where it goes
    as far as i am aware IE pay for at least part of the operating cost of dart feeder services and collect the revenue

IE would not allow the 102 to be extended to the airport and continue as a dart feeder service because of the arrangement with aerdart

the difficulty with the 102 230 from a union point of view was to do with breaking starting and finishing in the airport this was done on the 230 by local agreement witht the trade unions in summerhill since no one was marked in on the 230 there was no one to really object

drivers on the 102 route were un willing to accept breaking in the airport as there is no canteen facility at the airport available to them
    the other objection was starting and finishing at the airport as clontarf unlike summerhill had no direct route to and from the airport

neither of these prevented the move as both routes are now in harristown and all buses in harristown start break and finish in the depot it could easily have been amalgamated when they moved to harristown

the reason they did not was because IE effectively blocked the move as removing the 102 as a dart feeder would make the route finacially unworkable

Advertisement