Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Boundry Extension Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You mean besides Castletroy, Raheen, and Dooradoyle?! Let's not even mention Corbally!!! ;)
    I could be wrong, but I didn't see them mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean besides Castletroy, Raheen, and Dooradoyle?! Let's not even mention Corbally!!! ;) I could be wrong, but I didn't see them mentioned.
    It would appear that they are included in other townlands.

My geography of Limerick isn't the best, how well do the above match up with the other areas listed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yep none of the above are listed plus others (just cant think of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK someone mark each of the above of this map.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Victor wrote:
    Look at "Census 2002 Volume 1 Population Classified by Area" (CSO) http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2002Results.htm
    Limerick

Clare County (contd.)
    Limerick Suburbs (pt.)(b) Ballyglass* 3,851

Limerick County and City
    Limerick Limerick City – 54,023
    Limerick Suburbs (pt.)(b) Total – 29,124
    Ballycummin* 12,382
    Ballysimon* 8,380 3
    Limerick North Rural* 6,427
    Limerick South Rural* 959
    Roxborough* 544
    Ballyvarra* 432

Total 86998
    Galway

Galway County and City
    Galway Galway City – 65,832
    Galway Suburbs Ballintemple 331

Total 66,163
    Cork

Cork County and City
    Cork Cork City – 123,062
    Cork Suburbs Total – 63,177
    Douglas* 15,286
    Ballincollig* 14,591
    Lehenagh* 7,969 9
    Rathcooney* 6,066
    Caherlag* 5,221
    Inishkenny* 4,563
    St. Mary’s* 4,088
    Riverstown* 3,506
    Carrigtohill* 599
    Whitechurch* 571
    Carrigrohane Beg* 494
    Bishopstown* 113
    Blarney* 101
    Monkstown Rural* 9

Total 186,239

Waterford

Kilkenny County
    Suburbs of Waterford Total – 2,142
    Kilculliheen* 2,042
    Aglish* 85
    Rathpatrick* 15

Waterford County and City
    Waterford Waterford City – 44,594

Total 46,736

Naas-Newbridge-Kidare

Kildare County
    003 Naas Urban 18,288

Kildare County (contd.)
    Naas No. 1 rural area 62,640

Total 80,928

Ballycumin is further out than raheen. it is the neighbouring area on the side of raheen opposite the city.

a map which has the names of the places on it

limerick_one.jpg

all areas to the best of my knowledge are built up as far out as at least raheen, castletroy, and coonagh. it could be further out, its not a part of the city i frequent.

as well as that I thought Roxborough was in the city boundries. its between Rathban and southhill

• Advertisement

actually here is a better map

limerick_2.jpg

ive also just noticed that AA roadwatch's map of limerick is six years out of date.

I can see my house from here!!!

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6207&category=Daily-Thu

the boys and girls of both the city and county council are still at it.

but to be honest I blame the Department of the Environment for being slow to deal with this issue. of course they escape critism in the above mentioned article.

Ok so some new news ... no bondary extension!

The reasons Co. Co. gave were They'd lose money, rates would increase, and council housing would be put in Castletroy and Raheen. City Co. have not denied that but said they will press on! Co. Co. also said City have enough space for the next forty years of development

As a big supportor of an extension... i never thought council housing would be put in my area! I knew rates would probably go up a bit!

What do people think now about the extension are ye still supporters or do ye wanna shut it down!

At the moment i am unsure but if City Co. would say they would not build council housing around established areas they i would support them again!

• Advertisement

the poor have to live somewhere. would you prefer workhouses to council houses.

the poor have to live somewhere. would you prefer workhouses to council houses.

Zeig Heill!!!
    :D:D:D

Its just that to reject the idea that there should be a boundry extension simply because they would build council houses in castletroy is a sign of the NIMBY (not in my back yard) syndrome.

Well casteltroy esepically is considered an upmarket area of the city!

We need some places to remain scumbag free!!

you wouldnt happen to live in castletroy would you. or are from castle troy.

in that case then Ballinacurra Weston should be considered upmarket too.

not all people looking for social housing are scumbags. alot of people looking for social housing nowadays are working people who have been outpriced by the housing market.

and since when was castletroy scumbag free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

well if it would lose the city money maybe they shouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

iirc there has to be over 50,000 people living here for it to be called a city , atm there are only 52/3,000 people . Time is running out , lose the city status and lose all the EU funding that goes with it .

why do you think they are banging up 14 and 15 storey apartment blocks.

and their living over the shop campaign. what a failure that was. people dont want to live in rented apartments, they want to own their own places, but the prices in urban areas are too high, hence the reason they are moving out to places in the county and commuting into the city to work.

just a note I've merged the two threads on boundry extensions

What are you talking about the 'Living over shopping' scheme is only one year in and already the city is full of high rise apartments from the thing at the shannon bridge to the restoration of that building on henry street!!!

The problem with it is that people are buying these apartments and renting them out to people who come from other areas... so in actual fact the owner says he lives in his house ...(not the apartment) and the resident says they live whereever they came from!

Actually its running 4 years not one year almost to the very day
    http://www.limerickcity.ie/services/planning/pl_development_LOTS.html

Liemrick corporation themselves have said that Living over the shop scheme was not as successful as originally hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Agree with you on the Shannon Banks/Westbury thing but it is amazing how many people living there register their cars in Limerick. The amount of of 04/05 L cars out their is unreal. I know a good couple of people out there with Shannon Banks/Westbury, Limerick as their postal address. But that is another debate.
    Postal address is one thing, if the address was down as CLare, it would take the mail longer to get there, it's faster via Limerick... And I'd pass on some advice to those you know registering their cars with the Limerick address, tell them to change the registration to Clare, their insurance will be cheaper... :D

WOW sorry about getting the facts so wrong ... i had read that about the living over housing the week beforehand and remembered it as one year! Anyway there is stikll more to go if i can remember right!

And in my opioion it was a sucess , without it we wouldnt have half of our city being redevoloped!

for anyone interested

here is what Limerick city council wants as their extension

http://www.limerickcity.ie/graphics/content_area/CItyBExt.jpg

Advertisement