Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Boundry Extension Discussion

Options
  • 28-02-2005 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I live in Raheen and I'm really proud of being from Limerick City.

But what the hell, now there saying it looks like it'll become a town unless people buy these appartments and live there rathar then rent them to boost the population?

I was just thinking what could be worst then being slagged because of the "Stab City" thing well could you imagine "Stab Town" for god damn sake.

The County Councel should just let Limerick Coroperation extend into Raheen and Castletroy. I mean we're are University City but we dont have a uni in are city???

The county seems money mad, what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The county councils greed is only part of the problem in my opinion. as you may have noticed the businesses of the city centre like keily electrical are moving out into the county juristiction. This is because the council rates for business in Limerick are one of the highest in Limerick.

businesses cannot do business properly in limerick because they are bearly breaking even with the high rates the city council is charging them.

businesses will object to a boundry extension because the rates in county council areas are far more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I live in Raheen and I'm really proud of being from Limerick City.
    Limerick County
    The county seems money mad, what do ye think?
    Have you seen the the map of the proposed boundary extension? it looks like the City Council want to hoover up every piece of ratable property in counties Limerick and Clare.
    as you may have noticed the businesses of the city centre like keily electrical are moving out into the county juristiction.
    Kiely's are still in Limerick City, the county boundary is the Groody river.

jbkenn
    p.s. I am in favour of a boundary extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Jaysus "limerick_man" that post was painful to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

City Councell have high rates because they dont have as many tax payers, if they got the bondary extension, no doubt they would lower the rates.

I dont know it will take more than a boundry to clear the 18 million they owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Lately ive heard a lot of people from galway saying that galway will be bigger tha limerick and cork within 10-15yrs.But I think they are not counting the greater limerick city area like they are with Galway
    Is it true that it will be bigger because at the moment it dosnt even deserve to be called a city.

the trouble with limerick is that the population is staying the same but its turning into a donut shape just outside the city boundry. If limerick were not to get its boundry extension the only option would be to lower rates and start building up instead of out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote:
    Lately ive heard a lot of people from galway saying that galway will be bigger tha limerick and cork within 10-15yrs.But I think they are not counting the greater limerick city area like they are with Galway
    Is it true that it will be bigger because at the moment it dosnt even deserve to be called a city.

Yes if you were to include the populations of Raheen, Castletroy, Caherdavin, Shannon Banks and Westbury as part of the city then Limerick would be considered more populated than Galway.

When Galway city looks for a boundry extention it gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

What gets me is, everyone, informed in the situation, the whole country over, knows that Limerick needs the extention.
    In fact, it's the mid-west as a whole needs the extention, but when it's blocked time and time again, nobody say's anything!
    The people of the city, should realise that it is us that this is hurting, we need to show our support for the extention, rather than just sit around and complain about not getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

I think at the moment Galway is already considered to be bigger than Limerick. In 2002 Limerick had a population of 55,000 compared to Galway's 65,000. http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popnofeachprovcountycity2002.htm

Is this accurate? No, it's so misleading. Anyone who ever visited both cities would know that Limerick is far bigger and more populated than Galway. We need Castletroy, Raheen and Caherdavin inside our boundaries now. We will probably never get Shannon Banks or Westbury due to them not even being inside Limerick County's border so I won't even go there despite everyone living in these Clare parts are either working or being educated in Limerick.

Greater Limerick Area is probably 100,000+. I mean U.L. alone has about 12,000 in student/staff numbers to add to our already 54,000 srong population.

• Advertisement

Id say 120,000+ easy but what possible reason do they have for not extending them? there taxes going to the county and not the city surely they dont want that

all down to money really, just emagine the amount of money limerick county council would loose if it were to give up raheen and castletroy.

I think at the moment Galway is already considered to be bigger than Limerick. In 2002 Limerick had a population of 55,000 compared to Galway's 65,000. http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popnofeachprovcountycity2002.htm

Is this accurate? No, it's so misleading. Anyone who ever visited both cities would know that Limerick is far bigger and more populated than Galway. We need Castletroy, Raheen and Caherdavin inside our boundaries now. We will probably never get Shannon Banks or Westbury due to them not even being inside Limerick County's border so I won't even go there despite everyone living in these Clare parts are either working or being educated in Limerick.

Greater Limerick Area is probably 100,000+. I mean U.L. alone has about 12,000 in student/staff numbers to add to our already 54,000 srong population.

Agree with you on the Shannon Banks/Westbury thing but it is amazing how many people living there register their cars in Limerick. The amount of of 04/05 L cars out their is unreal. I know a good couple of people out there with Shannon Banks/Westbury, Limerick as their postal address. But that is another debate.

Yes its all down to revenue, similar to the suituation where we have a motor tax office for both the city and county. No way either wants to reduce this to one as the revenue loss is huge.

What the only real solution would be if Limerick City Councell and the county councell would be to create a finacial partnership wherein they would have one big fund which both would use.
    This would be the only real way of saving Limerick from everything!!!
    But county councell would disagree because they're not that thick, they know they are the richest councell in the country while the city is one of the poorest with huge debts.

What the only real solution would be if Limerick City Councell and the county councell would be to create a finacial partnership wherein they would have one big fund which both would use.
    This would be the only real way of saving Limerick from everything!!!
    But county councell would disagree because they're not that thick, they know they are the richest councell in the country while the city is one of the poorest with huge debts.

Must be all those traffic lights they bought recently... biggrin.gif

bazz26 wrote:
    Must be all those traffic lights they bought recently... biggrin.gif

were you not there when there was a thursday special on traffic lights in Lidl :D

they stuck them on hyde road and on the yellow road roundabout.

Galway has a larger population because of bondery extensions but Limerick has over 100,000 people living within the same radius which is alot more than Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

no in fact if a boundary extension was got limerick city would have a population of 85000 and that includes all the suburbs and near out as far as shannon. galway cities pop is over 70000 (68000 in 2002) and dis does not include its suburbs of bearna which has well over 5500 and growing by the day and greater oranmore which has over 9000 a bowling alley cinema etc + galway is now building a town known as ardaun which will cater for a further 15000-20000 people most of which will be in the county not city borough so enough about this boundry c***.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at "Census 2002 Volume 1 Population Classified by Area" (CSO) http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2002Results.htm
    Limerick

Clare County (contd.)
    Limerick Suburbs (pt.)(b) Ballyglass* 3,851

Limerick County and City
    Limerick Limerick City – 54,023
    Limerick Suburbs (pt.)(b) Total – 29,124
    Ballycummin* 12,382
    Ballysimon* 8,380 3
    Limerick North Rural* 6,427
    Limerick South Rural* 959
    Roxborough* 544
    Ballyvarra* 432

Total 86998
    Galway

Galway County and City
    Galway Galway City – 65,832
    Galway Suburbs Ballintemple 331

Total 66,163
    Cork

Cork County and City
    Cork Cork City – 123,062
    Cork Suburbs Total – 63,177
    Douglas* 15,286
    Ballincollig* 14,591
    Lehenagh* 7,969 9
    Rathcooney* 6,066
    Caherlag* 5,221
    Inishkenny* 4,563
    St. Mary’s* 4,088
    Riverstown* 3,506
    Carrigtohill* 599
    Whitechurch* 571
    Carrigrohane Beg* 494
    Bishopstown* 113
    Blarney* 101
    Monkstown Rural* 9

Total 186,239

Waterford

Kilkenny County
    Suburbs of Waterford Total – 2,142
    Kilculliheen* 2,042
    Aglish* 85
    Rathpatrick* 15

Waterford County and City
    Waterford Waterford City – 44,594

Total 46,736

Naas-Newbridge-Kidare

Kildare County
    003 Naas Urban 18,288

Kildare County (contd.)
    Naas No. 1 rural area 62,640

Total 80,928

Jammyd wrote:
    no in fact if a boundary extension was got limerick city would have a population of 85000 and that includes all the suburbs and near out as far as shannon. galway cities pop is over 70000 (68000 in 2002) and dis does not include its suburbs of bearna which has well over 5500 and growing by the day and greater oranmore which has over 9000 a bowling alley cinema etc + galway is now building a town known as ardaun which will cater for a further 15000-20000 people most of which will be in the county not city borough so enough about this boundry c***.

Oranmore had a population of 2,385 in 2002. Barna is part in / part out of the city and most of the population is included in the city part, which had a population of 66,183.

Now one could add the Galway rural for another 31,901, but this is clutching at straws as it includes the Aran Islands, Claregalway, Furbogh, Oranmore, Spiddle, etc. which are in no way contiguous with the city.

Galway County (contd.)

Galway rural area 31,901
    040 Annaghdown 1,551
    041 Aughrim 865
    042 Ballintemple (part) 1,096
    043 Ballynacourty 1,050
    044 Barna (part) 2,476
    045 Belleville 462
    046 Carnmore 1,989
    047 Carrowbrowne (part) 756
    048 Claregalway 1,635
    049 Clarinbridge 2,092
    050 Deerpark 1,069
    051 Furbogh 1,272
    052 Galway Rural (part) 131
    053 Inishmore 1,280
    054 Kilcummin 1,298
    055 Killannin 831
    056 Lackaghbeg 947
    057 Liscananaun 1,112
    058 Lisheenavalla 780
    059 Moycullen 1,402
    060 Oranmore 2,385
    061 Selerna 1,299
    062 Slieveaneena 649
    063 Spiddle 1,253
    064 Stradbally 854
    065 Tullokyne 1,367

• Advertisement

oranmore does have a populaton of over 9000 and bearna over 5500 its just when census was taken in 2002 the boundary's of these settlements had not been redrawn regardless of the huge housing estates in these areas + that was also 3 years ago with many new estates after coming on stream. if this was not the case they would not have 4 shopping centres between them which are kept going by the many local's. im not saying galway is much bigger than limerick cause there basically the same size regarding popultion. but id just like to get the point accross that galway is growing faster than limerick and 90% of the growth to take place including a new town of 20000people will take place in county galway.. yet ya dont here people in galway giving out.......

you will need to start providing sources for your claim jammyd, victor has done so now it is your turn.

my sources come from the cso website which is a huge site and not entirely up to date as victors figures are outdated and where compiled 4 years ago.. also in a recent edition of the connacht tribune it stated the population of the oranmore area was over 9000 not including the rural area.. however i cannot post the address as the tribunes website does not have an archive facility. i think ive made my point regardless of having proof.. just check the growth rates on the cso webpage..

Look above Jammyd ... There's the proof!

Belive me think of all the rents from the cresant and Raheen Business Park and Mungret Bussiness Park and, well everywhere.
    Hell that Dundrum Shopping Centre brings in €20m a year for Dun Laorigre (spellt wrong) council!

Jammyd wrote:
    my sources come from the cso website which is a huge site and not entirely up to date as victors figures are outdated and where compiled 4 years ago.. also in a recent edition of the connacht tribune it stated the population of the oranmore area was over 9000 not including the rural area.. however i cannot post the address as the tribunes website does not have an archive facility. i think ive made my point regardless of having proof.. just check the growth rates on the cso webpage..
    Actually, it would appear Banra has a population of 13298 (10822+2476). Maybe you got you figures mixed up?

Kindly note that April 2002 to March 2005 less less than 3 years, not your "4 years".

i said 4 years because most of the data compiled in census2002 was collected in 2001 for your info.. i have relations in the cso who told me that... :rolleyes: by the way thanks for prooving my point bout bearna's population being in accurate..

I find it very hard to believe that Limerick cities population is under 100,000 there must be something were not taking into account

Offically it is under 100,000, hell its well below that, but that does not take in suburbs of the city, the bondary is so tight that really only the city centre is covered.

If like most places in Ireland they were to take in the rest of the suburbs the pop would be over 100,000.

Thats why the 3 councils have to work together when doing anything to improve the city!

• Advertisement

Offically it is under 100,000, hell its well below that, but that does not take in suburbs of the city, the bondary is so tight that really only the city centre is covered. If like most places in Ireland they were to take in the rest of the suburbs the pop would be over 100,000.
    So which suburbs are missing from my total above?

Advertisement