Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Packages, Exactly When?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im depressed about the current broadband situation in Ireland too... i nearly feel that we are worse off now then a few years ago as our limited spread of 512k broadband services pales in comparison to other countries with 2mb - 100mb. about 3 years ago there was no broadband here at all while other countries were getting to grips with 512k broadband, that was really bad for us but now altho we have 512k in a few areas we are now much further behind other countries, the gap is now greater than ever and getting bigger each month eircom sits on its ass and does nothing about an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I think the seeds for a protest/demo are germinating...

*fumbles for watering can and MiracleGro* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I know it would take an hour to get though to someone with half a brain
    but has anyone rang eircom and asked if they were planing an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Stalfos wrote:
    I know it would take an hour to get though to someone with half a brain
    but has anyone rang eircom and asked if they were planing an upgrade?

sales persons don't tell you anything, they say "sorry but we are informed about upgrades only a day before it is announced"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

The phone sales reps are given a bunch of bulletin points to sing from whenever such questions are asked.

In all honesty they probable only learn of such things a day in advance.

The only people you can ask are the engineers setting up the system for a possible speed increase.
    Such things need to be setup months in advance so if anyone out there knows an Eircom engineer please try and find out details if they plan anything in the next 3 months???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

CyberGhost wrote:
    sales persons don't tell you anything, they say "sorry but we are informed about upgrades only a day before it is announced"

I wonder if they know of anything major planned for tomorrow?

Honestly I dont think anything will happen until April from EsatBT/iol.

How can they change their speed without Eircom giving them the nod...and Eircom wont let them do anything until they have something to offer themselves.

Basically Eircom have the "competitions"??? hands tied.

diarmo wrote:
    Basically Eircom have the "competitions"??? hands tied.

Except NTL and Smart

I dont think there will upgrade anything until eircom see how smart telecom does

uuurghhh... those son of .........

broadband in Ireland is just embarrassing and all that is because of the government, if they cared/were honest(I'm sure there are tons of people on eircom's payroll) they wouldn't allow eircom to monopolize everything like this, the country lines should be run by government not by a company, even an idiot would realize that once the company gets the main lines, they will start killing off the competition. I can even understand eircom, if you are milking a cow and there is plenty of milk there, why not milk the hell out of it? the shepherd is nowhere to be seen, and people are like sheep, no one complains, or at least 95% don't, thank God smart showed up, maybe this will make them do something, and let go of the strangle hold on Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I can agree there with you. And on that matter heres an article showing Ireland as 22 in the IT league. We've slipped because of Poor broadband here...
    http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1000810.shtml

• Advertisement

Stalfos wrote:
    Except NTL and Smart

I dont think there will upgrade anything until eircom see how smart telecom does

Smart cannot work unless Eircom grant them LLU...in other words unless the courts can work extremely fast smart will only ever be confined to a couple of exchanges in Dublin and Cork.

Now that is very little competition to Eircom I'm afraid if everyone out in the "sticks" must make do with Eircom/iol/UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

A small puff of smoke from UTV. Carl just said on the newsgroup:
    I can tell you that the product development team have been badgering away at trying to make working business models as they've been bugging me and my team for a lot of operational stats this week.

We'll see if there is any truth in the old cliche ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yikes.. so many buzzwords, so little time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I just had a look on utv's site, and they have extended their free trial until the 31st of march, guess we won't be hearing an announcement till them until after that date then, i hope iol do something though....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I cant bear the suspence, 20days to go now Damn it!

This thread was pointless, for answers go here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234075

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

This thread was here before that one.

yeah i know but no one knew much about the upgrade on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

not to get invilved but the other says sfa aswell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

article in Irish Times today stated 4 dublin exchanges go live for Smart Telecom .. we might be getting somewhere at last

• Advertisement

Any news yet if they're enabling the cabra exchange in Dublin 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

diarmo wrote:
    Honestly I dont think anything will happen until April from EsatBT/iol.

Esat have extended there free 3 month offer until the 31st of March (big swinging michael), if they don't up the product I'm gone as soon as Smart are ready!

Got this on the irish ISP test website, it fecked up, but woulnt the speed be lovely :D

http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=280768&downloadtime=0.016&KB=548.375&recorded=1

20 years from now i reckon.

Got this on the irish ISP test website, it fecked up, but woulnt the speed be lovely :D

http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=280768&downloadtime=0.016&KB=548.375&recorded=1

Why cant we have that kind of speed now...*sniff*? :(

20 years? hahaha, more like 200, it seems like the more world broadband advances, the more Irish broadband lags behind.

lol

ampmoment.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

To be fair to Blacknight, it didn't feck up - presumably you hit the Back button on your browser.

back in black,
    causal

causal wrote:
    To be fair to Blacknight, it didn't feck up - presumably you hit the Back button on your browser.

back in black,
    causal

Yea I did, my fault :o , Noticed that if i do it a couple of times i get different readings, is this something to do with the router i have?

• Advertisement

Yea I did, my fault :o , Noticed that if i do it a couple of times i get different readings, is this something to do with the router i have?

no, it has something to do with the cache you have

Advertisement