Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Packages, Exactly When?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ok tomorrow there should be some news, iol said 9th so hopefully we'll hear something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Or else move back to Scotland where Telewest have recently upgraded their Cable broadband to 1024/128 for 25Sterling(€35 at 1.4 conversion)...and thats their middle range product...with 2MB(35Sterling) and 4MB(50Sterling).

I realise that that there is a big difference between DSL and Cable but the largest provider of DSL in Ireland has a premium residental DSL service of 512/128 and 8GB cap which is nice and fine as long as they would allow their lines to be unbundled and allow others to offer better services but they dont and in my view that will drag Ireland a way down in the international BroadBand stakes(as if we werent already low enough)!!!

Services such as ADSL+2 and VDSL(incredible) are only just around the corner.....
    Isn't it nice that Ireland has a shocking broadband service in comparison to some states of the EU which were under Soviet domination 16 years ago!!!!!

BTW
    BT...EsatBT's parent company have recently doubled their service to give 2MB with 15GB cap at about €40 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Easy on the exclamation marks there buddy, 2meg is considered passé by 90% of other countries. Granted, it would be nice to have it here, but some perspective would do you good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

CyberGhost wrote:
    ok tomorrow there should be some news, iol said 9th so hopefully we'll hear something

I sure hope so, an increase in the cap would be nice....i'm remaining doubtful about a speed increase, i hope theres a nice surprise in store tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Maybe they might actually offer a REAL broadband package for a change! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Nothing interesting will happentomorrow in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

No chance eircom would decide NO caps?(pretty obvious)

I sure hope so, an increase in the cap would be nice....i'm remaining doubtful about a speed increase, i hope theres a nice surprise in store tomorrow :)

I don't care about the speed to be honest, just as long as they increase the cap, well both increased would be the best but, I don't know, I stopped believing in santa long time ago
    Infini wrote:
    Maybe they might actually offer a REAL broadband package for a change! :rolleyes:

Awesome sig dude!

lol, I thought your nick was made up from fiename extensitons you know... *.inf and *.ini = infini, and meaning something like infinite information lol

when I looked at your sig, I realized it was from the Breath of Fire :)

I'd be suprised if they came out and announced speeds similar to smart but at best they'd probably offer just half of that and at worse they'd probably give a load of bull about how long it'll take. Pity NTL ain't increasing their speeds by the look of it, I really wanted that 3mb line... *sniff*.
    CyberGhost wrote:
    Awesome sig dude!

lol, I thought your nick was made up from fiename extensitons you know... *.inf and *.ini = infini, and meaning something like infinite information lol

when I looked at your sig, I realized it was from the Breath of Fire :)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Where did this notion that any provider was going to offer increased bandwidth come from? Some head posted, and others believed. I hope I'm wrong, but where is the evidence?

Speculation is that silly word jumping to mind!!

• Advertisement

ok it's 9th now, and there is absolutely no mentioning of any upgrades

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the more i think of it, its just a rumour that most people including myself believed, today could just pass as normal with no mention of upgrades, i hope im wrong tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I think it may have come from somone mentioning they talked to ESATBT about what they might be offering to compete with Smart and they were told that on the 9th March ESATBT would be "offering the best offering in the BB market in the country".

Its on a post somewhere around here. I think it was in the Smart Employee thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Twas ESAT must take the blame for telling people the 9th. It could be that the brand new rules on Comreg now pre-approving the packages that Eircom resell are causing a delay in the announcement.

Comreg must give a decision by June .

actually I just remembered that they said 11th, they said 9th is the day trial was ending, I mixed up the dates, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I got in touch with esat and this is what they said thats of interest (the rest was just slating smart).
    What I can advise you is the following.

On March 9th we are announcing a new Broadband offering to our customers.

It will be the best Braodband offering in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

:confused::confused::confused:

What's going on
    9th, 11th which one is it

If they say they'll be annoucing today, they'd better

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

You can see for yourself there Stalfos that it said the 9th.

For all we know it was an Esat person just trying to buy more time with lies. I really have no idea.

These announcements were usually made by Eircom in the past, weren't they? I've no idea how it typically goes but I thought that's what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

We better get the brute squad organised in case they don't then, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Well I couldn't take the suspense anymore.
    When your ping times are bigger than your download rate it's just not good enough ...but I found a solution ...
    I modified* the Firefox sourcecode so that the download rate it outputs to screen is double the actual download rate
    It feels great - things are so much faster now :cool:

causal

*completely false :p

• Advertisement

machalla wrote:
    We better get the brute squad organised in case they don't then, eh? :D

I call the shotgun!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Dont hold your breath for any announcments from the Esat boyos! Its just sales being a bunch of pricks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

According to the EsatBT website, the current BB offerings run until the 11th of March.

That is next Friday and in the past we have heard about new offerings on a Friday, so I suspect it will be Friday that we might hear.

bk wrote:
    According to the EsatBT website, the current BB offerings run until the 11th of March.

That is next Friday and in the past we have heard about new offerings on a Friday, so I suspect it will be Friday that we might hear.

True but I wouldn't hold my breath on anything spetacular being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i went over to the iol boards to see if they knew anything..
    the only information i saw was this
    thread..down the bottom is this
    bjack wrote:
    i recieved an email from IOL today that said that their marketing team were already working on a new package but they will not be releasing any details at least till after the 11th of march

i get the feeling we wont be getting increased speads for quite the while..at least another month or two...or three...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

*grumble grumble* Nice to see sales@iol.ie bouncing. So much for pestering them at that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Ok so it's the 11th (and then the 15th 17th etc)

Was it this bad last time they upgraded?

Anyway, i would be happy even with double the cap
    I know compared with other countries, irish modem broadband sucks but eircom cant just drag their heels forever, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Stalfos wrote:
    Ok so it's the 11th (and then the 15th 17th etc)

Was it this bad last time they upgraded?

Anyway, i would be happy even with double the cap
    I know compared with other countries, irish modem broadband sucks but eircom cant just drag their heels forever, can they?
    Yes they can. They have never upgraded before we have always had 512kb 1Mb would be heaven but we will not be getting it :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we are into our 13th month since the last upgrade, i think this is the longest sustained period without an upgrade since broadband was launched in this country and it could be months more before the upgrade is announced, i doubt we'll hear anything on the 11th, eircom would have to announce something first before esat can publicy announce an upgrade on their eircom resell packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

really hoping they would have announced something today . I thought whatever they were going to announce that it would not start until next month . So there's still time

One thing though , since East's internet products are always better then Eircoms , dont they usually wait until after eircom has shown its hand , so they can offer a superior service.

Advertisement