Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats up with NTL BB tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am getting prompted to download a file when I click on the link to check my Yahoo email.
    I knew I should have posted here to see if anyone else had this exact problem.
    The bizarre thing is that only one of my Yahoo! Mail accounts has the problem!!
    I ended up signing up for Yahoo! Mail Plus ($20/year) to get POP3 access.

Setting the proxy worked. I'll have to cancel Mail Plus now (at least I'll get a pro-rated refund).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Why in gods name would u pay for POP3 access to your email?!!?!? It's free with gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stitchface

I changed the proxy sever twice, once with the belfast cache and then the dublin one from the cache list but both didnt work i couldnt even access my homepage...................... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Stitchface wrote:
    I changed the proxy sever twice, once with the belfast cache and then the dublin one from the cache list but both didnt work i couldnt even access my homepage...................... any ideas?

I think there might be problems other than the proxy server. I've been having a lot of trouble with my general connection since friday. It stays up for about an hour but then dies and I can't get onto anything without shuting off the modem and then rebooting my firewall (smoothwall). Even after doing this, I still can't always get the connection restored.
    I configured my firewall to use the belfast server and at first it seemed to work but again after an hour or so, I was completely cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup having problems getting into yahoo mail myself,wants me to download a file.Tried the Proxy settings but kept getting website cannot be found.Im on Ntl as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

This post has been deleted.
    In Firefox go to Tools > Options > General tab > Connection Settings > Manual proxy > Use the same proxy for all protocols > then enter the proxy settings as posted by MickFarr. That worked fine for me and fixed the problem in Firefox.

Thanks MickFarr for the info.

Mail to NTL also sent by me now. Grrr..

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Incidentally, has anyone noticed anything untoward on the bittorrent side? I haven't been getting green lately whereas I was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

robbie1876 wrote:
    In Firefox go to Tools > Options > General tab > Connection Settings > Manual proxy > Use the same proxy for all protocols > then enter the proxy settings as posted by MickFarr. That worked fine for me and fixed the problem in Firefox.

Thanks MickFarr for the info.

Mail to NTL also sent by me now. Grrr..

Robbie

Cheers robbie that worked for me in Firefox,another reason to stay with Firefox as when i tried these setting in IE got nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just tried the new proxy settings with Firefox and I can now access everything, great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Incidentally, has anyone noticed anything untoward on the bittorrent side? I haven't been getting green lately whereas I was before.
    Yep, I'm using Torrentopia and it's really slowed for me the last few days.

Are you getting green status on your torrents though? I can get 85kB-ish but it stays on yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

mate.

Had the same problem all weekend,melted my head, your belf-cache advise done the trick.

Can now access yahoo,lycos, hotmail no problem.

One small side problem remaining.on one or two sites getting an error on page and cant open the interactive menu on them .

Anyone know the solution to this ?tried disabling norton etc but didn`t do the trick. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

change to Azures had the same problem with BitTornado.......... works fine now !

Hmm yes. That was the first thing I did but I'm still gettin' yella. I guess I'll just have to ride it out.

(No response from NTL yet).

Just a thought but would this service disruption be anything to do with an imminent service upgrade??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Thats what I was thinking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Just got the following mail from NTL:

Thank you for your email.  In order to resolve the fault you are currently experiences please follow the following procedure.

Open Internet Explorer

Click Tools and select Internet Options

Click the Connections tab

Click the LAN settings button

Click "Use a proxy server ..... " and enter the following info:
    Address 62.252.32.13    Port 8080

Click OK

They don't say if this is a temporary or permanent fix. If permanent, does anyone know why NTL have made this change?

P.

Just got the following mail from NTL:
    Nice that they have a typo ('experiences' instead of 'experiencing') and only have instructions for IE. You could of course argue that those who have Mozilla/Firefox/Opera/etc probably know what they are doing and won't need instructions on setting a proxy.

This morning I emailed customer.support@ntl.ie about this problem. Got the automated reply assigning an incident number (62260). Will give them 24 hours to respond before I call.

MickFarr - thanks for the proxy info.
    Why in gods name would u pay for POP3 access to your email?!!?!? It's free with gmail.
    I was impatient and I wanted access to my mail. I don't have or want gmail.
    I cancelled it a day later so probably only got charged a few cent (pro-rated refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

daymobrew wrote:
    Nice that they have a typo ('experiences' instead of 'experiencing') and only have instructions for IE. You could of course argue that those who have Mozilla/Firefox/Opera/etc probably know what they are doing and won't need instructions on setting a proxy.

This morning I emailed customer.support@ntl.ie about this problem. Got the automated reply assigning an incident number (62260). Will give them 24 hours to respond before I call.

MickFarr - thanks for the proxy info.

I was impatient and I wanted access to my mail. I don't have or want gmail.
    I cancelled it a day later so probably only got charged a few cent (pro-rated refund).

Why do you not want Gmail? It is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Bad news on the potential upgrade front. From NTL:
    At present there are no plans to have similar upgrades as NTL UK Broadband.
    Their network is completely different to NTL Ireland.

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your email. Currently we are experiencing a fault with
    a server. The fault should be resolved within the next 48 hours. I
    have attached a temporary work around which you may like to try for
    access.
    ... proxy info ...
    Two positive things: acknowledgement of problem, commit to fix.
    Why do you not want Gmail? It is fantastic.
    I like the services I get with Yahoo! (mail, IM, groups, My Yahoo!, geocities and other storage options) and I don't want to change my email address that is with many people [I'd have to pay Yahoo! to get forwarding]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

MickFarr wrote:
    Try changing your LAN settings to use a Proxy Server in the Internet Explorer options

Address = belf-cache-1.server.ntli.net
    Port = 8080

Nice work MickFarr. How the hell did you figure that out anyway. Pure genuis. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

proxy.jpg

I would have thought you'd remember! I told you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

just couldn't wait and rang NTL... problem is known and still acting up, of course they said that they r trying to fix it... for the mean time, the ntl lad give me a proxy address - looks like it's a Cardiff one...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

any of these except the dublin ones should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Looks like it's dublin wide. Couldn't get into yahoo or upload until i got them proxy server details. Thanks to the person who posted them btw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It fixed my problems too. Cheers.

Why can't NTL email you to let you these problems and workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

It fixed my problems too. Cheers.

Why can't NTL email you to let you these problems and workarounds.

well they should as IBB give days of notice and upadtes on any network issue from my experieince......... my NTL was goofed up until Michfar sorted it out !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

nice one MickFarr I've had this problem for the last week now but tought it was just a hotmail thing..
    im quite mad at NTL for not letting us know that there was a problem I may even jump ship after my contract is up unless thay imporve there service.

Advertisement